Thread: Skype Question

Default Skype Question

Hello. I have a question, I know I can skype with wifi from the resort... But I was wondering, do I need international credit to make the calls, I've never traveled outside the United States, so I've only skyped here and have no idea how it works, outside the country... Thanks in advance

53 DAYS!!! WOOWOO!!

If you are just calling their account using video chat (not calling their phone number) you do not need any, I used mine everyday and had no problems or credits!

As long as you're doing skype-to-skype, ur good.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

chris, how do we do this? thanks!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

I have found skype to be very user friendly. Just go to skype.com and create an acct, its step by step. Then just click the person you wish to skype, under their pic it will ask you if you want to video call or call phone. The video call is free to another skype acct. We didn't need to pay for anything to use this while on vacation.

If your home computer doesn't have a built in camara you can get them any where electronics are sold for not very much. I have my acct and the kids have their acct so we can skype each other when we go on vacation. You will need to bring your own device to skype from, the wifi is free and works pretty good even from the beach.

What about google chat? It's free!

Thanks so much, redinthehead! Very helpful!
    ty JennC. I hadn't thought of that! Trying to make it easy for my older folks, but the little one could probably show them...lol

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Yes it works, technically. In reality there could be bandwidth issues. At least at CSA, they are very bandwidth limited, especially from 3-10pm. Skype worked great at 6am, but did not work well at all during the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    Thanks so much, redinthehead! Very helpful!
    ty JennC. I hadn't thought of that! Trying to make it easy for my older folks, but the little one could probably show them...lol
    Gotcha My parents are watching our kids and we hope to chat with the kids every evening and also to make sure they haven't done anything crazy, like burn down my parents house. They are only 15 months apart and in the throes of toddlerhood. I went over skype and gmail chat with my mom and she told me that she had an easier time understanding gchat - no dialing, just click on the little video thing. So since it is free it might be something to look into.

Alternately, because of bandwith issues, we are giving my mom my old iphone. It works with wifi, even without service... I am taking my iphone, so hopefully we can just facetime.

Hope it works out. Cheers!!