Default CSS - Decorating the Balcony with a String of Lights?

On our last visit to CSS we saw a Penthouse Suite beautifully decorated with a string of twinkling Christmas lights, along the balcony railing. It really made the balcony sparkle at night for a nice romantic touch. Our room was a 1 Bedroom Oceanview Suite, it had an exterior electrical outlet on the balcony. We have booked a 1 Bedroom Beachfront for our next trip, that wed like to decorate with lights, too. Can anyone confirm which rooms have exterior electrical outlets on their balconies? Thx

I am sort of hoping that if our neighbors do this that the light they are creating doesn't spill over to our balcony. We love sitting out after dark and prefer it to be dark.

Also be aware that the lights may attract additional insects too.......Bugs love me, that's why I'm cautious. I bring flameless candles to set the mood inside our suite. Also, one time for my birthday my hubby purchased one of the romance packages and there were rose petals sprinkled on the bed with a rose petal trail into the walk in shower (CSS Steve McQueen PH Suite D-14) where candles were lit. Lets just say, we shared a fabulous birthday evening! Have a wonderful romantic stay -- with or without lights!!!:-)
    Last edited by suzyQ; March 5th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

rhallva--we were at CSA over Christmas this last year and lots of people had decorations on their patios. Hey, it's Christmas and the lights just makes it more festive. Just enjoy.

"Just enjoy."
    I'd rather not actually! Thanks though!
    It's hard to 'just enjoy' something that you don't enjoy.

While you may think it is a "romantic touch", others may not agree. As mentioned above, I would not appreciate being your balcony neighbour. Leave the lights at home.
    Last edited by Artie; March 6th, 2014 at 09:04 AM.

I wish Couples had a policy AGAINST this.

One person's version of "beautifully decorated" might be another's version of extremely tacky. I don't know why people can't just leave their decorations at home and enjoy the resorts as is.

Wife and I did pink Christmas lights at CSA in Oct 2012, turned them on every night before we left for the evening. People we met at the resort would ask where we were staying and we said the room with the pink flamingo lights. Everyone loved them and when we departed we gave the lights to the housekeeper with a note to mgmt saying that we were giving her the lights as a gift.

We had lights on our ground floor Beachfront suite patio. The outlet was inside, but we could close the door enough while still leading the cord outside.

This is not about lights, and if the person in this topic is reading this, oh well. Last year at Swept Away, Spring time, we had a guy who would at sunset, stand on the beach, in a kilt, and play the bagpipes. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I like to "hear" the sun set. I like to be with my two favorite things, my Wife and a cold Red Stripe! So to sum up, if what you enjoy could possibly bother someone else, save it and do it at HOME! I wish my arm was stronger, I couldn't reach him with my empty cup!

We used battery powered lights.

I'm not sure you can improve paradise with a string of lights.
    In any case please be courteous to those on the neighboring balconies who paid dearly for their vacation in paradise too and some of us don't really miss having things strung and lit up with electric lights. It's sort of the opposite of what I hope to see from my balcony on an evening on vacation in Jamaica.

If it's all the same I wouldn't like them next to us...the dark is wonderful, and looking out over the ocean is magical. I see enough lights the rest of the year.

Couples, keep it quiet. Keep it dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    While you may think it is a "romantic touch", others may not agree. As mentioned above, I would not appreciate being your balcony neighbour. Leave the lights at home.
    Totally agree with Artie and GoNegril.
    We've seen displays like that on CruiseShips... little lights... coloured lights... plastic blown up PalmTrees... where would it end? Definitely not the Classy Sans Souci Jamaican Island Vibe the resort is trying to present.

I believe CSS does have a policy against things hanging over the balconies... When we were there in November, middle of G-Block, someone on the corner unit of F-Block had towels, bedspread, etc. hanging over the balcony's railing (for privacy perhaps). They were weighted down with tied-together runners that draped over the railing. It was there for a couple of days, then removed. Now "that" was tacky... not like little lights would be, but still... why not just enjoy the resort as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklett View Post
    On our last visit to CSS we saw a Penthouse Suite beautifully decorated with a string of twinkling Christmas lights, along the balcony railing. It really made the balcony sparkle at night for a nice romantic touch. Our room was a 1 Bedroom Oceanview Suite, it had an exterior electrical outlet on the balcony. We have booked a 1 Bedroom Beachfront for our next trip, that wed like to decorate with lights, too. Can anyone confirm which rooms have exterior electrical outlets on their balconies? Thx
    Because you stayed at CSS in a 1 Bdrm Ocean view suite, maybe you can help me with another question. We are booked for this category in July. I am hoping the balcony offers plenty of privacy (private meals, naps on the lounger, chillaxing in little to no clothing...). Does anybody know if our room category offers a balcony with the privacy we are seeking?

Default CSS Christmas Lights

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    We used battery powered lights.
    When we were there in October, the couple in the E block penthouse suite had them up and they were quite distracting from looking out toward the stars. Also, I was told that they signified the "party room" or "swingers room".....we stayed away.

Leave your holiday decor at home, please. Like everyone above, I don't want to see them... Or hear the bagpipes!

One person's decorating is another person's annoying eyesore. Actually, I think Couples has a policy against hanging anything on your balcony railing.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Sorry but next thing we are going to hear is that we can't take a picture from our balcony of the sunset because it's disturbing. I haven't been to CSS but at CSA they have lights on the pathways, trees and outside the room doors, is this a disturbance as well, do they not have a single light at CSS outside? These low voltage strands of Christmas lights throw off less light than most lights that people leave on in their rooms when they go to dinner. I guess what I'm saying is that we all spend roughly the save amount of money at Couples, if this is what somebody wants to do to enjoy my vacation is this wrong?

Why would you say that not hanging Christmas lights will lead to not being allowed to to take pictures from your balcony? The reasoning behind that just doesn't make much sense. Look up the fallacy of the "Slippery Slope" argument online. I get so tired of people comparing what they disagree with to something unrelated in an attempt to undermine the original point. It would be just as easy to use that line of 'reasoning' the other way to say, "If we let people put Christmas Lights up on the balcony then the next thing that will happen is that everyone will start cutting down the local trees and decorating them on their balconies!" It's not reality and it runs both ways, and it 's not helpful in either direction on the issue.

Ok WOW, light is what's being complained about, I'm so sorry my analogy isn't up to your standards. Feel free to give us your opinion on another form of light disturbing your time on your balcony. I too am tired of people telling me how I can and can't enjoy my vacation, what is acceptable to you might not be acceptable to me. As to your point on the original post you might want to read it again, reality is that the poster likes to decorate their balcony, they saw beautiful lights on their last vacation, that was my point, I too like to do this and was responding to people who who said it was rude to do this. I guess we will agree to disagree. Peace and blessings to you.