Default Scuba Certification

So I will be enjoying my honeymoon with my future wife during the second week of June, and I am very excited to be able to go scuba diving while we are there. I have been on a few dive trips in the past, but haven't been for a while now. I was looking through the guidlines on the Couples web site and noticed that you must be PADI certified... It just so happens that my certification is through YMCA, not PADI. Can anyone tell me if they will allow me to dive with YMCA Certification? I noticed that I can dive one dive if I take the dive course through the resort, but to dive more than that, I would have to pay to get PADI Certified... Any insight would be helpful...

Thanks,
    Gabe

You can take the intro to SCUBA class at no charge - this includes one shallow dive (around 40 ft or so). For anything beyond that, you have to be PADI certified. The guys at CN are great, and I'm sure the other Couples properties as well. I'm trying to talk my wife into giving SCUBA a try when we go in June. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and have a great time at Couples!
    CN 2011, CSA 2012, CSA 2013 (although not soon enough!)

SCUBA DIVING - Scuba diving and use of all of our PADI certified equipment is included. We also offer a resort course and introductory dive—all complimentary. Please remember your diver certification cards to enjoy full diving privileges. If you have any medical condition that may require a doctor's waiver, review the medical questionnaire. This original form, stamped by the physician/medical facility must be presented to the Water Sports Desk prior to scheduling a dive.
    The above was copied directly from the FAQ on this site. You need your certification card, log book(s), and medical questionnaire to be able to dive at Couples. All the dive masters, instructors etc. at Couples are PADI certified and if you or anyone chooses to get their certification thru them then they would be PADI certified. If you are already certified you can dive twice a day. The cost is free for certified divers and you can dive every day if you want to. If you want a night dive then they are $50 per dive per person.

Email customer service. They will forward your email to the water sports guys at the resort you are going to. Ask them if they recognize YMCA certification. Also, tell them how long it's been since your last dive. If it's been a couple of years, you might just need to do a basic refresher so the dive master can be confident in your skills.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

YMCA Scuba Cert is internationally recognized, but I'm not sure if that is interchangeable with PADI shops or not. Your best bet is to call the dive shop directly at the resort you are staying at. Just call the Couples 800#, ask for the front desk at the resort you are staying at, and the front desk will transfer you to the dive shop. If it's been more than 2 years since your last dive, you will definitely need to take a refresher course.

I am not certified through PADI but through SSI and I have not had any problems diving at Couples. I have seen other divers that were not PADI certified dive, so as long as you have a valid c-card and are current on your dives you should have no problems. If you are not current with your dives, you may have to do a pool check before diving. I would suggest that if you are not current, go to your local dive shop and get current. Couples will do this for you, but I would not want to take the time away from the other wonderful Couples activities that you may miss while doing this. Also be sure that before you go to Couples, copy the questionaire from their website and complete it. If you have answered yes to any question, then you will need to take it to your doctor for him to sign off to be able to dive. The Couples dive staff is excellent and will make sure that you are taken care of very well.

Looks like the YMCA stopped doing scuba certifications in the 80's. Have long has it been since you have been on a dive or used that card? I would go to your local dive shop before your trip to Jamaica and show them your YMCA card. I am sure they can advise you on what options you have. There may be some kind of abbreviated PADI refresher course where by you show them your skills and complete a few refresher lessons and earn a PADI certificate cheaper than a full course...... NOT at all sure about this of course but it's worth a try if you are confident that you have retained the skills you learned at the YMCA it's worth a try at getting your PADI "C" card before your trip. If you can't do this before your trip and your current card is NOT accepted you can get your PADI open water certification while you are there on your honeymoon in about 2 days for about $365 WELL WORTH THE PRICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gabertooth View Post
    So I will be enjoying my honeymoon with my future wife during the second week of June, and I am very excited to be able to go scuba diving while we are there. I have been on a few dive trips in the past, but haven't been for a while now. I was looking through the guidlines on the Couples web site and noticed that you must be PADI certified... It just so happens that my certification is through YMCA, not PADI. Can anyone tell me if they will allow me to dive with YMCA Certification? I noticed that I can dive one dive if I take the dive course through the resort, but to dive more than that, I would have to pay to get PADI Certified... Any insight would be helpful...

Thanks,
    Gabe

Hi
    Sorry to say, however the reply is incorrect.
    PADI is jsut one of the many certification agencies offering diving qualifications.
    Existing divers with NAUI, PSS, BSAC, CMAS etc open water equivalent qualifications are equally welcome to dive at Couples. In fact the YMCA qualification is actually part of CMAS.
    Ian and Vanda

Its my understanding that the YMCA stopped issuing their scuba certification in 2008, so you may want to check with the resort to make sure they will accept it. They may want you to do a $50 refresher course if it has been a while since your last dive. If they do take it, you can dive for no additional cost.

Thanks everyone for your help! Hopefully I will be seeing bubbles soon!