Hybrid View

Default CSA beach conditions

My husband and I will be taking our first trip to CSA in mid-December. My husband doesn't swim but enjoys playing in the surf. Could someone please describe the beach conditions regarding how quickly the water gets deep and if there is any undertow. Are there any lifeguards on duty? We visited a resort on the Riveria Maya last year that had barriers to protect the beach which made a relatively calm shallow area for him to enjoy. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on selecting CSA for your first trip to a Couples resort. The quick answer to your questions - No undertow - very little surf - he can walk all the way out to the end of the swimming area and not have any problems.

Come on over to the Dec 2012 Meet-up thread and meet some of the people that will be at CSA with you. See you in December!!!

Mike and Monica
    Jamaica Soon Come.
    CSA Torch Holder 2012

Negril and the Riveria Maya are two diff. worlds. First,the sun sets into the water at Swept Away. Second, we just got back and the biggest wave might have knocked over my beer glass if it was half full. The swim area is marked off and at 100 ft. out from shore, the water might be up to your chin. You can litterally see a penny on the bottom in the morning when it is glassed out. No undertow at all. The only thing pulling you is the calling for a Red Stripe light from the two bars that are right on the beach and that you are staring at from the water. Lifeguards?, does he need one when he takes a bath? That is what it is like!!!!!

Atrue, your husband is going to LOVE the beach there. The beach and ocean is a big reason why we keep going back there since finding it three years ago. We just returned from our third visit a few weeks ago :-(. My husband can't swim either and so the gentle waves and very shallow water are a big draw for him. The swimming area is roped off but has no barriers because they aren't needed. There is absolutely no undertow.

I'm really not good with explaining distances in feet, but I'd say you can go out about 100 -150 feet from the beach before the water would be over the head of a 6 foot tall person. (Others who may be better at distance please chime in). It feels to me like it's about a half a city block. The water is very gentle and one of the best things in the world is taking your floaty out to the rope and floating back in to the beach. On a non windy day, it can take a long time to float back in.

No lifeguards, but again, not needed. Enjoy!

The swim area at SweptAway generally has a slow grade out... this is reef sand, and depending on the prevailing wind, wave and tidal action, the bottom changes quite a bit over the course of a week; but SweptAway is nominally 1600 feet of beach... nearly 1/4 mi long... so hubby WILL find his personal comfort zone in the warm Caribbean waters.

Last October would have been interesting for him... 3+ ft surf for the whole week we were there, which is something we have NEVER seen in 15 years.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

the water doesn't get that deep.maybe upper chest.the surf has always been pretty calm in november.we have been there 2 times in november.

Default CSA beach conditions

We were just at CSA for our second time from 4/7 - 4/14/12.

CSA has a rather large swim area that is blocked off from boats/water sports. The water is very calm. You can walk out 30 yards or more and still touch the bottom. The conditions are best for floating on your back with a drink in your hand (the CSA chair cushions double as rafts and there is never a shortage).

There are lifeguards on duty, but I've never seen one leave his post to go in after anyone (or even look up from his magazine).

Regards,

John Garner

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at ease. I can't wait for our trip!

Alma