Hybrid View

Default How's the beach and swimming at CTI?

We just returned from a great time at CN and our first AN beach. We are booking next year and the isle at CTI sounds cool. How is the beach for swimming? How far is the shuttle ride from the airport?

Thanks

Hi Soldoni, I was also at CN this past March. I don't know if we met, but we probably crossed paths out there on the beach. We have typically alternated between CN (4 times) and CTI (3 times) and are thinking about going back to CTI next year. They each offer a different AN experience, yet the compact size and layout of these resorts are similar to each other, which we prefer versus the spread layout of the other two Couples resorts. Here is a list of my advantages and disadvantages of CTI compared to CN. Keep in mind that we have spent most of our time on the island and very little time on the mainland beach so this list is mostly in caomparison of the AN experience.

CTI Advantages
    Resort is enclosed on each end, so no independent vendors walking the beach anywhere on the resort
    Mainland has two pools, one seems to be more quiet, the other more social with a swim-up bar
    Rooms have great direct ocean views
    Veggie bar serving great wraps and sandwiches
    As far as Tower Island goes...

Overall one-of-a-kind island experience
    Island is more private, no gawkers
    Defined social and quiet areas
    Relaxing atmosphere...waves hitting the shore, mist of water, nice constant breeeze to keep from overheating
    Small pool with swim-up bar to cool down, or you can take a dip in the ocean
    Food (sandwiches and fries) are typically brought out to the island at lunch time
    Island has decking which eliminates the constant "sand getting in everywhere" issues
    Oh, and "Tower Time"

CTI Disadvantages
    Set Island hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
    No AN areas on the mainland
    Island may close due to really bad weather, but not very often with new shuttle boat and dock on island
    Mainland beach not quite as nice as CN, water is not usually as calm as CN
    No real beach on the island, but you can go cool off in the ocean, but never seen anyone with a floatie out there
    CTI is enclosed so cannot go for long walks on the beach across multiple resorts
    As recently announced, no catamaran cruises anymore
    Unless it has been corrected since last time, the zero-ledge walk-in showers leak into the bathroom floor
    Overall weather seems to be more volatile
    Shuttle ride is long (about 2 hours)

Hope this helps. You can e-mail me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    Hi Soldoni, I was also at CN this past March. I don't know if we met, but we probably crossed paths out there on the beach. We have typically alternated between CN (4 times) and CTI (3 times) and are thinking about going back to CTI next year. They each offer a different AN experience, yet the compact size and layout of these resorts are similar to each other, which we prefer versus the spread layout of the other two Couples resorts. Here is a list of my advantages and disadvantages of CTI compared to CN. Keep in mind that we have spent most of our time on the island and very little time on the mainland beach so this list is mostly in caomparison of the AN experience.

CTI Advantages
    Resort is enclosed on each end, so no independent vendors walking the beach anywhere on the resort
    Mainland has two pools, one seems to be more quiet, the other more social with a swim-up bar
    Rooms have great direct ocean views
    Veggie bar serving great wraps and sandwiches
    As far as Tower Island goes...

Overall one-of-a-kind island experience
    Island is more private, no gawkers
    Defined social and quiet areas
    Relaxing atmosphere...waves hitting the shore, mist of water, nice constant breeeze to keep from overheating
    Small pool with swim-up bar to cool down, or you can take a dip in the ocean
    Food (sandwiches and fries) are typically brought out to the island at lunch time
    Island has decking which eliminates the constant "sand getting in everywhere" issues
    Oh, and "Tower Time"

CTI Disadvantages
    Set Island hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
    No AN areas on the mainland
    Island may close due to really bad weather, but not very often with new shuttle boat and dock on island
    Mainland beach not quite as nice as CN, water is not usually as calm as CN
    No real beach on the island, but you can go cool off in the ocean, but never seen anyone with a floatie out there
    CTI is enclosed so cannot go for long walks on the beach across multiple resorts
    As recently announced, no catamaran cruises anymore
    Unless it has been corrected since last time, the zero-ledge walk-in showers leak into the bathroom floor
    Overall weather seems to be more volatile
    Shuttle ride is long (about 2 hours)

Hope this helps. You can e-mail me if you have any questions.
    Wow, GREAT review. Thanks.

My wife and i were there 3/17-3/20. We were over by bob and nancy near the hedge. It was our first AN experience. We kind of kept to ourselves and we just hung out and read most of the day. It was a perfect weekend and we cant wait to do it again.

It seems that you thoroughly answered my question. We love to swim in the ocean, so CN wins. We like to take long beach walks, CN wins. We dont care much about the "gawkers"......its hard to make NYers uncomfortable (lol).....CN seems like the obvious choice for us. The extra 1/2 hr on the shuttle really closes the deal. See you at CN next year. Thanks again for a very helpful review.

warren.cple, jamaican_jumkie,

Thanks for the info on CTI beach and Island. We will be heading to CTI for the first time the end of June and have been interested in your posts.
    We have been going to Breezes Grand Lido (5 times) and decided to try something new.
    Your info helped a lot.

I will let you know once I get there on Sat!

Nice to know it wasn't just us! We were at CTI in November last year, and I swear almost as much water wound up outside the shower as in! I felt bad for the cleaning crew, but wasn't sure what to do to prevent the "flood."

As far as Soldoni's questions go:
    The bus ride for us was about an hour and a half or a little longer. We did stop probably about half-way for a pit stop.
    As for swimming from the beach, while we spent most of our time out on the Isle, we did spend part of one day on the beach, and did a little swimming. The water does get deep enough if you want to swim (as in lap swimming sort of swim), I'd say about 1/2 way to the rope limit. As for swimming off the Isle, it didn't seem to get very deep, but I was (somewhat) afraid to try to get out beyond the sand as I didn't want a sea urchin run-in. There's two routes into the water off the Isle, one tucked away in the foliage on the right side, and one straight down the walk way by the bar.
    As for it being rough, it didn't seem so to me, but then again we had quite nice weather the entire time, and I'm from Michigan and used to the Great Lakes (2-3 foot waves, VERY "sharp" compared to ocean "rollers.")

Either way, I think you'll enjoy CTI!
    Jason
    CTI again in:
    398 days
    17 hours