Thread: Snorkling Gear?

Default Snorkling Gear?

Is it worth it to buy our own snorkling gear before we head that way to use as / when we want it? I saw elsewhere that it looks like you can only use the snorkling gear as part of set snorkling trips but if we wanted to do a little snorkling closer to the resort or off the beach we'd need our own. Is this correct?

Hubby has snorkled a few times and really enjoys it, I've never tried it but I think I would enjoy it. I'm also a little icked out by the idea of sticking something in my mouth that has been in a strangers mouth.

Hi
    We've been traveling to jamaica for 6 yrs...like you never tried the snorkling thing but fell in love the first time I tried it. Also like you was not keen on using gear that has been used by someone else. If you plan to travel to the tropics is the future then its definately worth the investment. I think I got my at dicks sport store for about 30 bucks. Its also nice cuz you don't have to wait for gear to be returned.
    Have Fun.....

My wife and I always bring our own gear. I dive and like to wear something that I know fits. My wife uses hers to practice before the snorkeling trips, in the swim area. The resort gear is real good, and they do keep it clean, so it's up to you. The resort gear is only for the snorkeling trips.

I always travel with mine, but I also use it for scuba. If you have enough room to pack it, go for it. Though, I'm not sure you will use it much off the beach, it is nice to have your own on a snorkeling trip.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

I would recommend buying it if you wear prescription glasses and can buy a snorkeling mask with prescription lenses at a dive shop. Got one for my wife and she is amazed at all the things she couldn't see before. Your own mask and snorkel could also come in handy if you wanted to do some snorkeling around the resort or off the catamaran when it docks at the caves. I don't think they loan them out to guest other than scheduled trips. Flippers are heavy and best used from the resort. The resort equipment is sanitized but not sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by jarpar View Post
    .... I'm also a little icked out by the idea of sticking something in my mouth that has been in a strangers mouth.
    This is reason enough for us!

We always take ours. We go to CSA and walk down the beach a ways to snorkle in the early mornings. You can alway snorkle around the beach area and see starfish.

Life is good

We always bring our own mask/snorkel and just use their fins. Saves time by not having to make mask adjustments each time we snorkel.

Hi
    Everyone has different shape and size heads /features. If you buy your own gear (and ensure it fits correctly), you wont have the issue of a constantly leaking mask.
    Spend 35 quid (50 bucks) or so on a decent mask and it will last for many years.
    Ian and Vanda

We take our own masks & snorkels but have quit lugging our fins because they are heavy & take up alot of space .... With all the new weight restrictions & cost for luggage, it's not worth it to us. We just use the resorts fins.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    We take our own masks & snorkels but have quit lugging our fins because they are heavy & take up alot of space .... With all the new weight restrictions & cost for luggage, it's not worth it to us. We just use the resorts fins.
    So... If we bring masks and snorkels, can we take fins from dive shop to snorkle when we want? or still only on the appointed trips?

Resort snorkel gear... tubes, masks and fins... can only be used when on the snorkel tour. They have a limited supply, but plenty to cover a normal outting. The watersports guys do a great job of keeping the equipment clean and in tip-top functional shape.

Personally, we bring our own tubes and masks. We snorkel at times off the beach, and we don't use fins when doing so. We also use our gear to snorkel during the swim stop on the cat cruise. We use resort fins when we go on the resort snorkel tour.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I'm not sure but don't think you can use the resort's fins except when you go out with the snorkel or dive group. At CN there's not much to see unless you go out on the boat to the reef.
    Quote Originally Posted by CouplesVirgin2012 View Post
    So... If we bring masks and snorkels, can we take fins from dive shop to snorkle when we want? or still only on the appointed trips?
    Julie