Default Question for a new Couples vacationer

Wife and I, and another couple are going to Tower Isle May 16 - 22. Been booked for a few months but did not realize until this weekend that the Island is AN. Thought it was the beach on back side of Island. We really want to check out all parts of the resort. But we are not AN types. If I understand by these boards, we can not go to the Island and go up in the Tower? Have a drink at the bar? Would not be gawking at the people that are AN, just want to experience the Island view over the ocean and the resort.
    Last edited by nsctec; March 9th, 2015 at 02:37 PM.

You have to get naked after you arrive on this thread also.

If you ask the staff they will take you over before the island opens to walk around and go up the tower. It doesn't officially open until 9 am and the bar isn't ready till 9:15 or 9:30. No you could not get a drink before it opens.
    Do try the island after it opens... It is something you have to try at least once in your life.

We have only done AN at CSS and I saw many curious people popping in and taking a quick peek. I'm sure you can take the boat over...view from the boat...and then return. However, it's not like you'll see anyone you know here...why not check it off the bucket list? I'll admit hubby had to get a few drinks in me before I was willing...but at least we have it checked off the bucket list now!
    Lori and Dean
    OrderSkinnyWraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by nsctec View Post
    Wife and I, and another couple are going to Tower Isle May 16 - 22. Been booked for a few months but did not realize until this weekend that the Island is AN. Thought it was the beach on back side of Island. We really want to check out all parts of the resort. But we are not AN types. If I understand by these boards, we can not go to the Island and go up in the Tower? Have a drink at the bar? Would not be gawking at the people that are AN, just want to experience the Island view over the ocean and the resort.
    Hi

You ask a fair question. I'll give you a fair answer. The island is for au naturel sunbathers. It is possible to go to the island on the absolute first boat of the morning (around 845a), take a look around, and come back. (Trust me, it won't take more than 10 minutes.). You won't be getting a drink from the bar at 845a as it's not open. Stopping by later without adhering to the dress code would be bad form.

That being said, you are welcome to come experience the island and being AN for what it is: a bunch of normal folks who like hanging out without a stitch on them. It's not sexual, and any behavior of that sort on the island will get you tossed from the island (and possibly the resort).

So come on out and have a drink on the island (while following the rules). You won't know if you are "the AN type" until you try. This message board likes to think that people in the AN areas are some of the warmest, friendliest, most genuine people you will meet at Couples. I tend to agree. Check out the "Feedback after your vacation" topic to read lots of wonderful, honest experiences that people have had.

Think of it this way: Worst case scenario is that you don't like it and you have a crazy story and a bucket-list-type item scratched off your list. Sounds like a pretty good day in my book.

On the other hand, you might actually like it....or, heaven forbid, your wife might.

[Normally, it would be awesome to have ended right there. It would have been a great post, but I think there's another topic here to discuss. You noted that you are visiting with another couple. That adds slightly to the awkwardness factor. So, I open the question to the forum: What have others done in the same situation? Did you tell your friends who you were vacationing with? Did you sneak away and not tell them? Did you run to the island after pushing them on to the Dunn's River bus? Did you run into them on the island? the dock? CSS and CN equivalent stories also appreciated, but I think CTI stories would be really good to hear due to the whole island / must-travel-there-by-boat factor.]

If you ask really early, you might be able to get them to take you over to check it out before it opens for the day. Or you can book a private dinner out there in the evening (clothed of course!). Or, gather up some liquid courage and give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

In the morning before the island opens, you can go over on a boat and take a look. But while it is open, it is not clothing optional, there is no clothing allowed. Give it a try if you change your mind!

Don't count yourselves out as "Not AN types" until you've at least tried it for 20 minutes.

The island has a more private "non-social" side (to the right when you get off the boat) - get there, grab a drink, head to the other side of the island and try it for a few - you might just surprise yourselves.

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see the early option. Sure that will be what we end up doing.

We went AN for the first time ever at CN a month ago. We didn't know what to expect. We read the forums, but still. We were going to give it a half hour. Wanna know what happened? I'll tell you. We met a group of people, couples from all over the country, who meet up on the same weekend every year. Were we held at a distance for being new? Nope. We were welcomed in as one of them. When we did something else one day they asked where'd we been. There was one day I think we were clothed for 3 hours total. An hour for breakfast and two for dinner. Needless to say we booked the same weekend next year so we can meet up with all of our new friends again. It's a great experience.

I thought I read where you could book an evening dinner out at the island. Is that True? That would be another way to see, have a drink, and eat on the island

Quote Originally Posted by SandM View Post
    I thought I read where you could book an evening dinner out at the island. Is that True? That would be another way to see, have a drink, and eat on the island
    Yes, dinner on the island is something like $50 more than dinner on the beach, but well worth it if you are going to do a private dinner. You can also have your wedding on the island but that is much more. They shut the island down an hour early for that.
    Last edited by srtaylor; March 12th, 2015 at 11:06 PM.

Yes and you need to be clothed to do that because you need to bring your pocket book cause it won't be cheap....actually you bill it to your room but still cheaper just to go get naked and do it... There is nothing to fear but fear itself...