Default CSS or CTI ... can you help us choose?

We are planning our 25th wedding anniversary trip, we never had a honeymoon so this is very important to us. But I keep tossing these 2 resorts around in my mind. We have narrowed it down to these 2 based on prices for the time of year we are booking. Has anyone stayed at both and have preferences and why? Thanks! Also, I heard a rumor that CSS is old and run down, true?

CSS old and run down????? Nothing could be further from the truth!! It is a stunningly beautiful and very romantic resort!! We have stayed there 5 times, and have our next 2 trips to Sans Souci booked. We have been over to CTI for a day twice. For us, there is just no comparison at all. Here is a link to a set of our pictures from our 3rd trip to CSS. If you'd like, send us an e-mail to pellis4@cogeco.ca , and we'll send you all kinds of information about CSS, and more pictures, too.

http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ShareLand...localeid=en_CA
    (Karen&Paul)

Both resorts are wonderful but different. CTi was recently completely redone and looks brand new CSS is like being in a hotel in the middle of a tropical botanical gardens
    and is more lush then CTI. CTI has more restaurants to choose from.
    CSS is not old and rundown except for the stairs you will encounter when you walk the beautiful grounds. We found the stairs to be an adventure

Hi! We have stayed at both CTI and CSS ... I like both resorts a lot, my husband prefers CTI ... they are very different in look and feel. I will give it a shot to compare the two, but please remember I'm comparing an apple to an orange, both of which are in the Couples family ...

CTI
    - a wide variety of very good food and dinner dining options
    - the newly renovated look is beautiful (we did not see COR/before the renovation) - crisp and clean
    - tower isle is very picturesque, and the sunrises at CTI are truly something to be awed about
    - the staff treated us the best we have ever been treated, and we have traveled a fair bit
    - has a hotel look (and a Couples feel)
    - has two nice pools to hang out at
    - beach is small
    - surf can be a bit rough
    - beautiful lit up at night ... stunning!
    - spa services were incredible ... beautiful setting, wonderful treatments (massage, facial)
    - to get to the au natural Tower Island, need to take a boat

CSS
    - the best repeater's dinner we have been to so far
    - Starlight Gala is not to be missed ... gorgeous and great entertainment!!!
    - large, spread out resort with a lot of stairs (which we did not mind) ... jungle like plant life which was very romantic and gave the impression of seclusion almost everywhere you went
    - can walk to the separate au natural Sunset Beach
    - Airy, light feel ... especially with a room up on the cliffs
    - a lot of property to explore walking - lots of picturesque nooks and crannies
    - two pools to hang out at - one is a mineral pool, so cold/cool water in that one
    - small beach
    - surf can be a bit rough
    - we had the best housekeeper we ever have had here
    - wonderful couples massage experience in the room up on the cliffs overlooking the sea! (can't remember the name of the hut - maybe The Hideaway???)
    - best facial I've had at a Couples resort so far ...

When we were at CSS (April 2011) it had not been renovated and had a nice lived in look ... I wouldn't call it rundown however, but I know we are all different in our perceptions ... it is not a crisp, clean, newly revibed property - rather an earthen, sinking back into the jungle foliage, feel which I like ...

Bottom line - you really can't go wrong with either place, and will just need to go visit the other property at a later time so that you can do your own comparisons!

Congratulations on 25 years!!! We are just celebrating our 8th (although we are middle aged - got married late in life!) and look forward to renewing our vows on our 10th, at a Couples resort, God willing!

One Love ... Sarah
    Sarah (& Baxter)
    CN 2009; CTI 2010; CSS 2011;
    CN 2012; CTI 2013

For us it is CSS. CTI reminds us of a hotel on a beach. CSS is lush and beautiful with lots of paths to discover and the rooms are all suites with beautiful ocean views. The staff and entertainment are great. CSS has the best entertainment. I wish the other Couples resorts had entertainment like CSS every night. CSS is an older resort but I would not consider it run down at all. We just came back from a week at CSS and had a wonderful time. This was our 3rd stay at CSS and 8th to Couples.

We have been to CSS twice and CN once. We are booked next year for CSS and CTI. CSS called to us first and to me is the most romantic place on earth. There are hammocks in many hidden places.
    The views are amazing. I recommend going for the Penthouse Suites. They don't cost much extra and are beautiful - perfect for a 25th anniversary.

Congratulations - we just celebrated our 25th anniversary and I know what you mean about wanting it to be special.

You can't go wrong wherever you choose. I suggest to keep reading the reviews and see which one calls to you.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

YOU are my hero and my angel!!!!!!! I found your photos, in an old link on this message board and your entire "thread" and messages helped convince me I was on the right track with CSS, ~AND~ you/your pictures are one of the reasons I changed from thinking about booking a one bedroom beachfront suite to booking a one bedroom ocean suite (after all conventional wisdom says the more $ the room, the better, but your pictures and experience changed my mind) ... but then a few days later when I went to show my husband I couldn't find the "thread" and here you are answering my question!!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I will be sending you an e-mail for sure, I am almost in tears I am soooooo happy that you are willing to answer some questions for us.... one of my concerns is about the stairs, as I am a terminal bone cancer survivor, but still very fragile bones, but I will post that in an e-mail, for now, thank you!!!!

Thank you Sarah, almost everyone I've read or heard has said almost the same thing ... that we can't go wrong with ANY of the couples properties, but it seems like CSS is going to fit our needs better, that tropical, tucked away, hidden, walking path is the "feel" I am going for, not the more modern thing .... the very first thing that drew me to CSS was 150 rooms = only 300 people ... my kind of intimate setting vs a mega hotel chain (not that the others are mega, but they do have more rooms) and congratulations to you and your husband as well, 8 years is wonderful! ~ Brenda

Thanks Brenda! My name is Brenda as well. I think CSS is the perfect fit for us ... it has always been my first choice, but sometimes I get "swayed" by others, lol ... I appreciate your input though, thank you!

Congratulations on 25 years! I can't think of a better way to celebrate than a visit to one of the beautiful Couples properties in Ocho Rios. My wife and I have stayed at (and loved!) both resorts, so my first piece of advice is not to worry... in the end you can' t go wrong!

SarahBax gives a thorough and accurate comparison of both, so I won't repeat all of her comments. But I will add that if you are looking for a romantic anniversary, it wouldin my opinion) be hard to beat CSS. The place is truly enchanted and would be an excellent setting for your celebration.

Enjoy!

We were at CTI 2 years ago and friends were at CSS 2 years ago. We loved CTI and they loved CSS. e are going back to CTI in Jan.2013. Im sure you will lov either one. The deciding factor for us is the private beach at CTI. You dont get vendors harassing you on the beach.

Just have to put my opinion in, as we all have them.

Yes, CTI has been updated, and I'm sure that it is very clean and crisp as are all of the Couples Resorts, but the year we were suppose to stay there was actually for the Grand Re-opening, which was really a little too early, our room was not available. We were giving a choice of staying in a step down from what we had reserved, or go to CSS. DH was outside waiting for check-in to be done, I stepped out of the lobby and felt as though I was at a hotel in Panama City Beach, FL. Explained our current situation to DH and even though we had traveled with friends and their room was available, we chose to go to CSS. We had stayed there the year before and fell in love with the place and people. Our original Couples Resort was CN, back in 2005, and stayed there 2x that year and went back every April until 2008 and decided to try CSS, as they say the rest is history. Except for 2010 we have been back to CSS every year, and will be back on May 10, 2012. Soooo excited.

BTW CSS actually has 4 swimming pools.

Thanks for your information everyone! It is very helpful, I am finding that the people who go to Couples seem to be friendly, like you guys form a family,

Default this was for KarenON

For KarenON
    Quote Originally Posted by blridgway View Post
    YOU are my hero and my angel!!!!!!! I found your photos, in an old link on this message board and your entire "thread" and messages helped convince me I was on the right track with CSS, ~AND~ you/your pictures are one of the reasons I changed from thinking about booking a one bedroom beachfront suite to booking a one bedroom ocean suite (after all conventional wisdom says the more $ the room, the better, but your pictures and experience changed my mind) ... but then a few days later when I went to show my husband I couldn't find the "thread" and here you are answering my question!!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I will be sending you an e-mail for sure, I am almost in tears I am soooooo happy that you are willing to answer some questions for us.... one of my concerns is about the stairs, as I am a terminal bone cancer survivor, but still very fragile bones, but I will post that in an e-mail, for now, thank you!!!!

We are going to CSS in June. It is our first time. Our travel agent said of all the trips she books to Couples resorts, CSS is by far the one she gets the most requests for. So we are celebrating our 40th anniversary there!!
    Can't wait!!!

Going to CSS in June. Our travel agent says she books more trips there. It will be our first time.

Hello, I have to put in my two cents.
    My husband and I have been to both resorts. we have been to CTI when it was COR. The renovations are fantastic and are quite beautiful.

One thing I have to say tho is that there is no "hotel" feel to it at all. We have stayed at RIU resorts in Jamaica, and all inclusive resorts in Mexico and in BVI, that is a hotel feel.

People will most certainly have their preferences,. however, being an RN and reading that you have had bone cancer, I would NOT recommend CSS.. I am physically fit and literally had to take breaks climbing up the stairs to our room on a regular basis. it is on a cliff, flat paths are at the beach and at the top. I fear that you will become tired and with fragile bones, you may hurt yourself. Add me on FB and I will down load my vacation pics just for you!! Honestly, there are tons of stairs, no joke!!

It is beautiful, but your health may dictate a different avenue.

Laura Moench

Hello!
    You are so right! KarenON is absolutely great! She so generously shared her CSS info and pictures with me, so it made my travel decisions very easy! We are headed back for our 5th trip to CSS in July!

As for the stairs, please book the room category that speaks to your heart. I'm sure that Karen shared with you that if you call the lobby, they will send a van to pick you up and take you to where you want to go on the property.

Have a wonderful trip!

One Love,
    suzyQ

We have been to CSS, CN and CTI, and day passed to CSA. CSS and CN are our two favorites. CSS is the most romantic. CN has the best beaches. CSS is hilly, CN is flat. The CSS the Casanova restaurant with the piano player, most romantic. The CN piano bar with Paul Tucker, encouraging you to sing a song for your sweetheart is a perfect way to end the night. The kids are now out of the house, if the budget permits we do two trips a year we do a trips one to each CSS and CN.
    Good luck with your decisions between CTI and CSS. Each couples resort is like a different flavor of ice cream, all are good but not everybody likes the same flavor. Whatever you choose, do a day pass to see the other.

If you are looking for votes, mine is for CSS.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    Hello!
    You are so right! KarenON is absolutely great! She so generously shared her CSS info and pictures with me, so it made my travel decisions very easy! We are headed back for our 5th trip to CSS in July!

As for the stairs, please book the room category that speaks to your heart. I'm sure that Karen shared with you that if you call the lobby, they will send a van to pick you up and take you to where you want to go on the property.

Have a wonderful trip!

One Love,
    suzyQ
    Thanks suzy, I appreciate everyone's advice and willingness to share with us "newbeeies"

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheUnexpected View Post
    We have been to CSS, CN and CTI, and day passed to CSA. CSS and CN are our two favorites. CSS is the most romantic. CN has the best beaches. CSS is hilly, CN is flat. The CSS the Casanova restaurant with the piano player, most romantic. The CN piano bar with Paul Tucker, encouraging you to sing a song for your sweetheart is a perfect way to end the night. The kids are now out of the house, if the budget permits we do two trips a year we do a trips one to each CSS and CN.
    Good luck with your decisions between CTI and CSS. Each couples resort is like a different flavor of ice cream, all are good but not everybody likes the same flavor. Whatever you choose, do a day pass to see the other.
    Thank you! We did make our decision, and now are counting down the days. Thanks for the advice and help.

Many good points above. CSS is a bit more formal and private. CTI is more laid back and social. For me, home is CTI. One of many reasons, 7 nights at CTI with no bug bites. 1 day at CSS and I had 12. It's all in those lush gardens at CSS. Also, CTI's spa is much nicer.

When are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by klstrike View Post
    When are you going?
    October 20-28th, 2013 ... the specials were too good to pass up for that time of year and my hubby can't take time off work in the month of Nov. (our actual anniversary) so last week of Oct. seemed the best choice for us. About 531 days until we start the trip ... not that I have a countdown timer on my mac or anything, lol