Default First time at CSA (weddingmoon)...but not first time with Couples

Hi everyone,

My wonderful fiancé & I are booked for our weddingmoon at CSA on May 25-June 1,2013 in a BFVS. But this isn't my first time at Couples. I was at CSS back in April 2008 with my ex for 5 days. While I thought the grounds were beautiful at CSS and met some great staff members, there were some things that were bothersome about the resort and staff. I know that trip was 4 years ago (5 by the time we get to CSA) and is a totally different resort but I'm a bit afraid of running into the same issues. The pictures of CSA look amazing and I am optimistic about trying a new Couples resort. But sadly it's human nature to draw on past experiences. My questions are: is CSA an ideal location for a wedding/honeymoon? We are big "foodies", is CSA the ideal place for us? We want a lively place, but also want some seclusion. We aren't really social people as we are very private and prefer to enjoy our alone time (between us there are 4 children- 20, 14, 9 & 6). So to all the CSA & Couples veterans: is CSA our place?

Thank you in advance for any of you willing to share your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by MacsBrideToBe View Post
    . . . . We are big "foodies", is CSA the ideal place for us?
    The food at CSA (and all of the Couples Resorts) is very good, but it might disappoint true foodies because it is neither authentic Jamaica cuisine nor food on the cutting edge of the culinary world. However, if by "foodie" you simply mean that you like to try new things, then you will definitely not be disappointed.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Yes Macsbridetobe. We have tried CSS and while very nice, it wasn't for us. We got married at CSA and have trip #5 booked for next April. The food is excellent and the beach is the best on Jamaica IMO. We also like to keep to ourselves most of the time but there are endless things to do if you like. We love to stroll the beach and you can't do that at CSS. I bet you will love CSA as much as we do, have a great trip.

Thanks for your opinions . I guess I'm a bit spoiled as I was a restaurant manager and my ex was a chef. I try to keep my expectations in check but the food at CSS in 2008 was average. It was kind of like cruise ship food.

Another question: I've been reading some reviews on Trip Advisor about the BFVS. Are they in as bad of shape as I'm reading? I understand I'm not at The Plaza or a Wynn Hotel. But I certainly will flip my lid if I see mold. Bugs don't bother me...heck, I was at the Four Seasons in Maui and saw a cockroach. It's an island...bugs are everywhere. And I've also understood from some of the reviews that CSA overbooks rooms and the room that we've booked may not be available when we check in. A few reviews even stated the front desk will say they've "upgraded" us and put us in a Gardenview or Atrium room. This really concerns us also.

We are just so looking forward to this trip. We knew each other from grade school until graduation and then lost touch for 23 years. We found each other again and are now getting married. While no vacation can be perfect, we certainly don't want to spend such a special day we've waited so long for to be shuffled around.

I think CSA is an ideal spot for a weddingmoon....13.5 days and counting!!
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

In my honest opinion, I think you need to have realistic expectations at CSA.

The food is quite good for an AI, fresh and tasty, but it is not a true foodie's paradise. I have yet to stay at an AI that is. Make sure you take a trip to the cliffs for a new food and scenery experience one evening. We always enjoy that as a special night out.

Yes, we have seen mold in our room and the grout is not only shiny and white. This is not a luxury resort IMO and more of a casually elegant beach vacation. While the photos on this website are representative of the rooms, there may also be signs of age - IME and IMO.

I think you should temper your expectations.

Mold should never be present in any building, 2 star or 5 star.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie & Chris View Post
    I think CSA is an ideal spot for a weddingmoon....13.5 days and counting!!
    Congrats! I very happy for you! Please let me know how everything was when you return! Have a blast and enjoy your time at CSA!

I guess what I find myself wondering is - What didn't you like about CSS?
    We were married at CSA in 2008 and absolutely loved it. We'd do it again in a heartbeat (except now we're already married... lol) Everyone we show our photos to and tell of our experience is envious.
    We've also been to CSS and CTI too, and loved both of them for their own distinct charms. The big thing, for us, that CSA has over the other two we've been to is the beach. While nice and private at CTI and CSS, we do love the Negril beach. We thought the staff at all were fabulous, as was the food.
    I agree with CG that you need to have realistic expectations. It's not all marble and glitz, but it is clean and comfortable and has a very special vibe to it. If you can live without the glam and a butler, go for it and I don't think you will regret it!

My questions are: is CSA an ideal location for a wedding/honeymoon? We are big "foodies", is CSA the ideal place for us? We want a lively place, but also want some seclusion. We aren't really social people as we are very private and prefer to enjoy our alone time (between us there are 4 children- 20, 14, 9 & 6). So to all the CSA & Couples veterans: is CSA our place?

We are on the last day of our weddingmoon right now. I'm laying in a hammock in an Attrium Suite letting my new husband sleep in an extra few minutes. We are an older (51) couple and I can tell you picking CSA was the best choice we have ever made. Request an Attrium in the middle of the property by the wedding gazebo. Perfect for a private couple. CSA does everything they can to get you the room you want. We are in the second level and could't be happier. You are amongst the palms. Our wedding pics are gorgeous. Tip: marry in the am. Rains at some point most afternoons. But dont fret. The rain is a nice break to take a nap. Can't even tell you how exhausting it is laying on the beach. Floating in the water. On the subject of the food: we have loved every single thing we ate. My husband is in love with the red snapper. Also the prssentation of the food is beautiful. I hope you pick CSA. You will not be dissappointed. You can be as social or as private as you want. As the staff say "no problem man". And they truelly mean it. They will do anything to make you happy. Going home tomorrow and can' t waitto come back!

We have been to CSA 6 times, most recently this past February. We have booked the BFVS 5 of thos 6 times. We have gotten a BFVS room each time at check-in. The one time we booked a BFS room, we were told at check-in that no BFS room was available until the next day. We ended up in a Greathouse Jacuzzi suite (their top-level room) on that trip.

I think what we pay for with a BFVS room is the location directly on the beach. We travel for vacation a few times a year to other places, and for the money, I have never found a resort anywhere in the Caribbean that puts you right on the beach for so little money (by comparison). We have found a lovely place in Belize that is right on the beach, but it is not an AI (nor is it couples only).

Would we like it if the BFVS got an update? Sure. For one thing, I'd love to have more drawer space in both the bathroom and bedroom area. The bathrooms are definitely getting dated, but I did not see any mold in the bathroom on our last trip (and I looked, too, because of the TA reviews).

The food is very good for an AI. However, any resort that is mass producing meals is not necessarily going to be delivering gourmet quality meals at every turn. Of all things, they do a terrific job on their soups. The fish tacos at Seagrapes are the best fish tacos I've had anwhere. On the flip side, I tend to avoid beef while I'm at CSA, as it tends not to be their strong point. I enjoy a lot of chicken and fish/seafood while at CSA.