Default CSA...Where are the best deals on cigarettes, liquor and coffee?

We will be at CSA in less than 2 weeks (YAY) and I've read on the boards that the resort prices for these things are higher then off-resort. I just read an awesome CTI review where coffee was over $40 a pound at the resort and $26 at the airport. I've read similar comments on the boards about the prices of liquor and cigarettes.

What I haven't read, is WHERE off the resort has the best prices? Is there a specific market near the resort, or are the airport prices the best? (We plan to buy 2-4 cartons of cigarettes, 4-5 pounds of coffee, and about 4 bottles of liquor.) If the airport prices are good, are the shops located before you go through customs and check your bags or after?

(Yes, I know limits on these things and about paying duties, so I don't need comments on that. I also don't need a lecture for being a smoker. I have my Mom for that. )
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

I was wondering the same things. I will be at CN in October. Hopefully somebody can help us =)

You can do ok on coffee if you take a cab into town to the local grocer. Otherwise, the prices at the airport ain't bad. As for liquor, your best bet is certainly at the airport AFTER you clear security. They will package for you (tip the gentleman that packages your booty, and have your boarding pass with you before you purchase), and you can carry on... then pack into your check bag when you get back to the States, before you check your bags through after clearing customs and immigration.

Cigarettes... perhaps your best bet is on the beach. Ciiiiiiiiigarettes... for consumption on the island, that is... but I don't know that the quality of cigarettes anywhere on the island makes them worth it... but then I'm not a smoker.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I always tip a man who packages my booty!! LOL
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie & Chris View Post
    We will be at CSA in less than 2 weeks (YAY) and I've read on the boards that the resort prices for these things are higher then off-resort. I just read an awesome CTI review where coffee was over $40 a pound at the resort and $26 at the airport. I've read similar comments on the boards about the prices of liquor and cigarettes.

What I haven't read, is WHERE off the resort has the best prices? Is there a specific market near the resort, or are the airport prices the best? (We plan to buy 2-4 cartons of cigarettes, 4-5 pounds of coffee, and about 4 bottles of liquor.) If the airport prices are good, are the shops located before you go through customs and check your bags or after?

(Yes, I know limits on these things and about paying duties, so I don't need comments on that. I also don't need a lecture for being a smoker. I have my Mom for that. )

I'm the writer of that CTI review! Thanks for the compliment!

The shops are after security/checking your bags. You can carry it on the plane, but if you have a connection in the US, you have to pack it in your bag before you recheck them for your final flight.

I also don't need a lecture for being a smoker.

Well there goes my response.

Hi Lo in town has decent prices on coffee and spices, if you have resort credits buy it at the gift shop
    best price for cigs is duty free at the airport

We always get the coffee in town, we have found it's a little cheaper. Be sure what you're buying has the Jamaican seal or its not the real Blue Mountain.
    As far as booze & cigarettes, we always bought them at the airport. The cigarettes are not produced in the US and you may notice a difference in the taste and harshness, even though the pack is authentic. Just check the side panel and see where they're made, it won't be in the US.
    I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago but I do remember that about the smokes. I now have more money for Sangsters Rum Cream to take home!

Have a great trip!!

Just returned from CN last week. Purchased 4 cartons of cigs for $87 at airport. They were $8 for 1 pack or $15 for 2 packs on beach from cig guy. They certainly are not the same as in the US and burn quickly. Normally pay $70+ per carton in Wisconsin - and about $50 if driving to IL. Coffee and booze prices were high at the resort gift shops. Didn't shop for booze at airport. Coffee prices at the aiport were higher than in past and varied depending on brand. I think a 5 lb bag was about $110!

Thanks zaraforty and rjammin.

RJ...I've purchased cigarettes all over the Caribbean, so I know about the taste difference. Though, give how expensive they are in my State, I smoke whatever is the cheapest at the moment. I'm no longer picky. lol

Zaraforty..I do have resort credits, but since we are getting married, that's already being used for other stuff.

Great, so if the best price on cigarettes is at the airport, then I can buy a carton when I arrive for the trip and then buy more before I fly home.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Resort prices are higher than at the airport. I got five pounds of beans last visit to CN....from a local. One or two of them were 'High Mountain' coffee, though the rest was Blue Mountain. It was twenty bucks a pound and good coffee; we especially like the Jamaican coffee flavor(s). 47 and a wake-up to CN!
    All is Good,
    TonyS

Default coffee, smokes

Resort prices are higher than at the airport. I got five pounds of beans last visit to CN....from a local. One or two of them were 'High Mountain' coffee, though the rest was Blue Mountain. It was twenty bucks a pound and good coffee; we especially like the Jamaican coffee flavor(s). Don't smoke....cigarettes; so don't know about them.
    47 and a wake-up to CN!
    All is Good,
    TonyS

We bought smokes on beach, you can negotiate with him....i think i got him down to 4 per pack and they were duty free american cigs.

Cant miss him, hes mentioned frequently on these boards, he says "cigarettes, cigars, rolling papers"

Ill know i'm home when i hear that

Thanks zaraforty and rjammin.

Great, so if the best price on cigarettes is at the airport, then I can buy a carton when I arrive for the trip and then buy more before I fly home.
    Stacie & Chris
    You can only purchase the cigarettes at the airport when you are leaving Jamaica. You won't have access to the shopping area of the airport on arrival. Better pack your own from home.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    Stacie & Chris
    You can only purchase the cigarettes at the airport when you are leaving Jamaica. You won't have access to the shopping area of the airport on arrival. Better pack your own from home.
    ACK....I was hoping to avoid having to pack my $6 a pack cigarettes.

Is there a shopping area near CSA that has cigarettes for a decent price?
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rachlm927 View Post
    We bought smokes on beach, you can negotiate with him....i think i got him down to 4 per pack and they were duty free american cigs.

Cant miss him, hes mentioned frequently on these boards, he says "cigarettes, cigars, rolling papers"

Ill know i'm home when i hear that
    Coming from a $6/pack state, $4 sounds good to me!
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

One more thing on the cigarettes...you should be able to buy duty free in the US the day you are flying to MBJ. As long as you have an international ticket, you can purchase from those stores. This is what we usually do.

Coming from a $6/pack state, $4 sounds good to me!
    Over here in UK, it's approx. 8 per packet which is about US$12-13!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rachlm927 View Post
    One more thing on the cigarettes...you should be able to buy duty free in the US the day you are flying to MBJ. As long as you have an international ticket, you can purchase from those stores. This is what we usually do.
    What's the average price when you do it that way?
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013