Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips on packing

Default Tips on packing

I say rolling your clothes when packing saves space and saves on wrinkles. My wife says packing everything folded and flat is best.

What are the some good packing tips?

Life is good

My only suggestion ... pack separate bags!
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

Hi!
    Pack some clothes of yours (shorts, underwear, shirt, etc.) in your wife's luggage and have her pack some of her clothes in yours. This way if one of your suitcases should go missing (hopefully NOT), you will have at least some clothes with you.

@Beach-bum - I prefer to pack rolled clothing, I think it does save space and realisticly your luggage is not always in a laying down position, when it is being held upright your folded clothes tended to get more wrinkled than rolled clothes do.

@ Rum Girl - I have never thought of that or seen it on many travel sites although it seems pretty common sense. We are hoping to do carry-on only but I will certainly keep that little nugget for future trips. Thanks!

@Beach-bum I prefer to pack my clothing rolled as I do find it saves on space. And realisticly you're luggage is not always in a lying flat position, what happens when it is stood upright? The folded clothing can only follow gravity, while rolled clothing stays rolled.

@Rum girl - Thanks for the tip! I had never thought of that or seen it on many travel sites although it seems pretty common sense. We are hoping to travel with only our carry-ons but I will certainly hold onto that little nugget for future traveling.

What saves the most space is to use the dual use vacuum travel bags. You can use you vacuum at home and then roll the air out of them on the way home. We had really good luck with these last year.

There are some new wonderful wrinkle resistant fabrics that you can crumple up into a ball and it won't matter-we REALLY overpacked for our first trip as you spend the majority of the time in your bathing suits so make sure you pack several of those no matter what. Also agree with Rum Girl on the combo packing-great idea just in case. We also carry a change of clothes and a bathing suit in my carry on. I folded our clothes, and didn't have much of a problem. There is an iron in your room (not sure that applies at all the resorts but we had one)

I agree with Rum Girl, Beach-bum.....with one additional tip. Your wife should continue to fold her clothes....and you could roll yours :-) Having two suitcases with clothing for you both does help your chances in having a least one suitcase arrive with clothes for you both! Have fun!

I'm with Rum Girl ..... NEVER pack all your clothes in 1 bag ..... I do all the packing & I fold everything (no rolling) & pack it flat. We take 2 checked bags that are mixed for both of us & 1 carry on bag for the both of us with swim suits, cover ups, 2 shirts, 1 pair of shorts, undies for 2 days & flip flops for both of us .... Knock on wood, we've never had to deal with a lost bag but have seen so many at the resort that have had to survive .......... But the question was roll or fold flat ...... I go with with fold flat .... The humidity in Jamaica takes care of the wrinkles.
    Julie

We use spacebags. They work great with small space and no wrinkles. And you can tell what is packed by looking cause they are clear. Lasted through at least 16 trips and still going strong. Worth a try??

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Girl View Post
    Hi!
    Pack some clothes of yours (shorts, underwear, shirt, etc.) in your wife's luggage and have her pack some of her clothes in yours. This way if one of your suitcases should go missing (hopefully NOT), you will have at least some clothes with you.
    my in-laws gave me this same tip after they lost a luggage on one of their trips with all my mother-in-laws clothes in it (it was a month long trip-so it was pretty devastating for her) I also pack our "nice" clothes and shoes and a change of clothes and swim suit/flip flops in one of our carry-ons along with any thing of value so it never leaves our hands. Then on the return trip home the clothes I took in the carry-on go in our luggage an our souvenirs and gifts go in our carry-on instead. ( Just make sure that its stuff that can be carried on to plane, we had a candle confiscated in Mexico because I didn't realize it was a restricted item.)

As far as how to pack, we prefer to roll t-shirts, short and pants, they get less wrinkled. Of course on the return trip we need a bit more room so the clothes get packed however they fit best, who cares if they get wrinkled then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Girl View Post
    Hi!
    Great idea!!!

Whether you roll or fold you should make sure your shoes, cameras, sundries, etc that have any weight are packed in the bottom area of your bag and the straps are used to hold items in place. This way clothes are not crushed by things that may slide in your bag when transporting them. Couples does have an iron in each room though so don't stress over this.

Ok. No real solution on our end. I rolled mine and she folded hers. Great idea with space bags. We got lucky and were both under the 50 lb weight limit. We always are heavy going home with the extra moisture and stuff we buy.

We alway pack an extra change of clothing in our cary on and a swim suit. Came in handy on one trip where our luggage was stuck at the airport.

I still think rolling is the best. Not sure though.

thanks for the tips!

Life is good at CSA

My shirts always come out better when rolled than when folded.

Take what you need for a few days in carry on (just in case).

Invest in an inexpensive luggage scale if you don't want to get surprised by a large fee for overweight luggage. Our luggage tends to get heavier on the way home due to damp clothes, things we bought, and so on. Using the scale we make sure weight is distributed to avoid penalties.

Thanks for all the tips people.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    My shirts always come out better when rolled than when folded.

Take what you need for a few days in carry on (just in case).

Invest in an inexpensive luggage scale if you don't want to get surprised by a large fee for overweight luggage. Our luggage tends to get heavier on the way home due to damp clothes, things we bought, and so on. Using the scale we make sure weight is distributed to avoid penalties.
    Good point about the scale. My wife pushes the limit. We always TRY to leave home a few pounds under. This leaves room for moisture weight and gifts.

Life is good at CSA

Other good thing about the spacebags is it keeps those damp swim suits from mildewing. That protects the suitcase.....

Those are all great ideas, so my 2 cents are pack a few fabric softener sheets in your bag, when you unpack your stuff in your room put them with your clothes, they keep your clothes from getting that smell of humidity. Our clothes always smell fresh from the wash, even 7 days into the trip.
    Felicia and Josh
    Couples Negril Oct. '08
    Couples TI Nov. '09
    CTI and CSS Nov/Dec '10

Whatever my wife tells me is best.

Fabric softener sheets in with your clothes are a GREAT idea ..... Our clothes always get that funky smell so even the clean stuff has to be washed when we get home .... I always put fabric softener sheets in the suitcases when I get home after I've aired them out & before I store them but never thought of putting them in for the trip.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Princessflick143 View Post
    Those are all great ideas, so my 2 cents are pack a few fabric softener sheets in your bag, when you unpack your stuff in your room put them with your clothes, they keep your clothes from getting that smell of humidity. Our clothes always smell fresh from the wash, even 7 days into the trip.
    Fabric softener sheets are a great idea. But, I like the smell of my clothes when we get home. At least the ones that are still clean. They have that smell of Jamaican wood they use in the rooms.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by safetyal View Post
    Whatever my wife tells me is best.
    You got that right!

If you roll them and then put them in the air bags it helps with wrinkles and if your bag is opened by mistake your clothes don't fall out, you can also separate the bags accordingly to the items inside.

Love all the ideas!! Will be using them when we pack for our trip in June!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast