Default Airport shopping?

25 days and the hubby and I will be at CN!! This will be our first trip to Jamaica & CN and this message board has been most helpful in our planning, thanks everyone!

I'm wondering about buying gifts to bring back home...will I find comparable shopping at the airport as I would at the craft market or the nearby CN area? Cost-wise too? Also, should I wait to buy rum/rum cream at the airport(saw a previous thread that there is limited availability)? Thank you so much for the help

I think you will find some nicer gifts at the craft market as well as the vendors who Couples allow to set up on the beach on Mondays. There are a couple of people who have wonderful wood carvings and there is a gentleman that sells the most wonderful leather sandals.

At the airport you are going to find the usual stuff, some of which you will see at the markets but I don't think you will find anything really special.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

I always love shopping at the airport while waiting to get on the plane home... they have gobs of shops... I always get a Jamaica colored hoodie sweatshirt and a few t shirts, and there are lots of mugs, hats, flip flops etc... so after shopping at your resort, save some money to buy a few things at the airport too before leaving for home.

I would definitely wait till the airport to buy the rum/rum cream and coffee. There are more than a couple of shops to get that at. A shortage would be an anamoly.

As for trinkets, tee-shirts, and such... perhaps even coffee, do that during your walks along the beach or on a shopping trip.

BTW... you've got to slow down and relax... you're not even there yet and you're wondering about shopping on you return trip!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

The resort will have the crafty stuff to get plus T shirts. I bought the rum we brought back from the resort. They wrapped it in paper and we put it in our checked luggage. I had a carry on bag, so that Is why we did that. The Airport shops sell mainly t-shirts, flip flops and some other gifts. There is a Harley store and a Marley store there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I think you will find some nicer gifts at the craft market as well as the vendors who Couples allow to set up on the beach on Mondays. There are a couple of people who have wonderful wood carvings and there is a gentleman that sells the most wonderful leather sandals.

At the airport you are going to find the usual stuff, some of which you will see at the markets but I don't think you will find anything really special.
    My wife loves the hand made sandals she got for 20 bucks. Hand Made! Support the locals trying to make an honest living.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Mark257 is so right about the sandals. I bought one pair at CN that lasted 3 or 4 years - went all over the world in them and wore them through 3 summers at home. After a very high mileage they finally gave up and I then bought a second pair at CSA which I have worn for 2 years with virtually no sign of wear. I think I paid about 7 - 8 for them. I also bought a couple of pairs as gifts for people who had admired them. My daughter ( aged 17 at the time - imagine how picky she is) asked me to get her a pair. My partner chose a manly pair this time too and he finds them very comfortable.

From memory I think the sandal guy only comes on one day a week to each Negril Couples so you don't want to miss him thinking he'll be back another day.

Quote Originally Posted by mark527 View Post
    My wife loves the hand made sandals she got for 20 bucks. Hand Made! Support the locals trying to make an honest living.
    I too got a pair of sandals from the vendor on the beach in Negril. I absolutely loved them and last summer I tore one. I was so upset as I wore them to death for a few years. I would love to get another pair somehow. We have been to CTI since then but they just don't have anything like what I got at Negril.