Default DEET vs. Picaridin vs. Skin-So-Soft

DEET is obviously tried and true and will likely come along with us regardless. However I have heard that it doesn't do much to stop no-see-ems or sand flees?

Does anyone have experience with Picaridin based products for that purpose?

Likewise for Skin-So-Soft?

I've seen research (not applicable specifically to no-see-ums, mind you) that high levels of DEET is the only truly effective deterent to insects. Its got a proven track record for health safety (I'm sure there's someone out there who's sensitive to it), and its effectiveness declines with its concentration.

No other home or folk remedy has proven to be as effective.

DEET does have a significant drawback, however, in that it will break down some plastics, such as those found in nail sealants and adhesives, wedding gowns, and (as we found) lawn chair pads.

We always bring the highest concentration of DEET we can find (97%+) in a lotion form. We find it works great if we remember to apply it. Forget, and pay the price!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Have only used repellent containing 50% deet which worked fine. Have been looking at alternatives because I would rather use natutal ingredients if I can and came across this

http://greenliving.about.com/od/foodhealth/a/DEET.htm

which seems to suggest that Picaridin based products work effectively (but maybe not on no-see-ums)