Default Diabetes this time around

My wife and I will be retuning to CSS in October. SInce our last stay I have dx with type 2 Diabetes. I am doing great, lost a lot of weight and staying in good shape but here is the deal. I want to enjoy all that CSS has to offer and part of that is the wonderful food. I simply do not remember if they had 'sugar free' fare on the dessert bar and on the menu's. Can anyone help me out. I know I can splurge a little but I have worked really hard to get healthy and don't want to get sick while I am there.

Contact them ahead of time and let them know about your dietary restrictions. they will work with you. I have gluten/dairy allergy and sent them a message a month or so ago about our upcoming trip. They put it in my file and said they'd arrange for me to meet with the chefs when we arrive. Also, arranged private dinner on the beach with the same issues ahead of time. I'll report back after the trip to let you know well it all worked out.

Try it all! Just in smaller quantities than you may have in the past. : )

Quote Originally Posted by jackmaddox View Post
    My wife and I will be retuning to CSS in October. SInce our last stay I have dx with type 2 Diabetes. I am doing great, lost a lot of weight and staying in good shape but here is the deal. I want to enjoy all that CSS has to offer and part of that is the wonderful food. I simply do not remember if they had 'sugar free' fare on the dessert bar and on the menu's. Can anyone help me out. I know I can splurge a little but I have worked really hard to get healthy and don't want to get sick while I am there.
    Hi Jackmaddox!
    Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis but glad to hear that you're doing well and congrats on the weight loss!
    My husband is Hypoglycemic, so no sugar for him as well. We have been to CSS and CTI and don't recall ever seeing anything sugar-free offered. My husband always had fresh fruit for dessert which was always available. I wish that they would add at least one sugar-free option for this reason.
    I hope you have a great vacation!! Stay well.

Lori

Fresh fruit will break down into simple sugars; careful.

I'm type 2, and have also had a dramatic weight loss (65+), and my key to staying healthy is portion control, and choosing fish or veggies over pastas, etc. I'm not in the best control down there, but even with copious alcohol consumption, I've had much worse days here in the states.

I am diabetic too, was last yr also - last yr not as bad as this yr, never took my sugar while there last yr. this yr on meds and will have to watch more closely. I think there is enough there to pick from that we shouldn't have a problem finding something we can eat and like. My hardest is that I love Cool Runnings, and I know that is not good for me. Tried a day of diet coke/pepsi and rum last yr, no carbs - had a terrible headache from it. Just keep moving too, that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Happytimes42 View Post
    I am diabetic too, was last yr also - last yr not as bad as this yr, never took my sugar while there last yr. this yr on meds and will have to watch more closely. I think there is enough there to pick from that we shouldn't have a problem finding something we can eat and like. My hardest is that I love Cool Runnings, and I know that is not good for me. Tried a day of diet coke/pepsi and rum last yr, no carbs - had a terrible headache from it. Just keep moving too, that helps
    It depends on what kind of rum you drank. Light rum (original) isn't that bad. Flavored and spiced rums and dark rums(Captain, Sailor Jerry, Malibu, etc) do have varying amounts of carbs in them. For example, both Malibu and Parrot's Bay have over 5g of carbs per serving. That is probably why you had a headache.

In all honesty, if you're diabetic you shouldn't drink alcohol at all, but it's your vacation so just monitor your levels while you are there and if rum is your flavor then stay away from the flavored stuff.

Here is a link that will give you the carb count of various types of rum (I have it set to show you Captain Morgan (1.5g of carbs per serving) but you can change it)... http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTk2NTg0.html

Oh, and Kris, congrats on the 65# weight loss. Good job, bro.

Thanks everybody - after doing a little more research it seems that they key is to really get healthy before you go. Get your numbers down and then those spikes are not as bad. You do not however want to undo a lot of hard work in one week, remember, life happens when we return back to our normal lives. It seems like the key is just like it is anywhere, careful portion control and no no on the rich desserts and breads, or at least limit yourself to only one small portion a day. The alcohol issue is not a big deal to me because I do not drink, however I know that is useful to others who may be reading this thread. Thanks everyone for your imput and for those who can, have an extra piece of key lime pie for me!!! : ) No worry's mon!