Default Recent Changes in Flight Prices

Has anyone noticed a huge drop in flight prices over the last week. We have Oct booked at CSA, but was probably going to have to cancel b/c of the flight prices out of MSY. Well, I hadn't canceled yet b/c we have until August to do so. Every so often I check flight prices and last week (and still now) the flight we was looking at was $610 is now $407...THAT'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE and probably will allow us to come 'home' now Just wondering if anyone noticed a change in prices???

Yes bit for us we're not going until next April. I'm hoping they are lower for us too, good luck!

Air fares can fluctuate dramatically. We have paid anywhere from $369-$600 over the past few years for flights from Charlotte to MBJ. It really does pay to keep an eye on the fares.

There are websites (yapta, expedia, etc) that allow you to set up a "fare watch" and receive an email when air fares are trending down in price. That has saved us a lot of $$$.

Have a great trip in October!

If you try to book tickets too far in advance (normally outside of 4 - 6 months in advance) the prices are full coach fare. I was a travel agent for 6 years prior to my job change and we always advised clients to wait to book the airfare within six months. So this may have been part of your huge price drop.

Also keep in mind that the prices will start to go back up again as the seats start to sell out. Coach class is usually broken down into 3 or 4 price categories and they allocate a set number of seats on each flight to each price structure. So if you're able, book soon, because those 407.00 fares will be gone once the seats are sold even though the flight may not be sold out.

So glad you'll be able to make your trip!

I noticed the price drop as well...it was very very low for about 3 days, about $200 per ticket lower than the $570 we paid when we booked. The cheaper flights, however, are not the ideal flights. In order to get the better deal we would have an overnight connection on the way home, if not on the way there as well. When I priced our package rate through the Couples site and tried to compare before booking our airline separate, I also noticed that the flights that Couples would have had us on were an overnight, so the price difference was a cheaper flight, but also one less night at Couples. Not worth it for us.

Melissa
    Melissa & Chris
    Married at CSA on 12/14/12 (12/110/12-12/20/12)
    Booked for CN 12/13/13-12/21/13

Thanks guys! We booked our ideal flight (arriving in MBJ at 10:40am) for $407 Later that day, it went to $477 and now at it's $447! I dont' think it'll drop below that. We did pay $372 in 2010 but I still can't believe that!!!! We're SOOOOOO excited to be coming 'home' to celebrate our anniversary at the place we were married four years ago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnStone View Post
    Air fares can fluctuate dramatically. We have paid anywhere from $369-$600 over the past few years for flights from Charlotte to MBJ. It really does pay to keep an eye on the fares.

There are websites (yapta, expedia, etc) that allow you to set up a "fare watch" and receive an email when air fares are trending down in price. That has saved us a lot of $$$.

Have a great trip in October!

I did not know that, thanks. We also aren't returning until next April so I'll sign up for one of those alerts.

Yes, I was checking for our Dec trip. I wish we could book now with AirTran. Prices went down since Sunday night when I was looking. We usually fly out of Philly on CA, but since they may no longer be there, we were looking for something closer to home and AirTran has the best departure with straight thru flights. But at this time you can only book thru Nov. 2. Hope the prices stay this way

We are waiting for airtran as well.... worth the wait due to their pricing but it is a risk since other airlines are selling....

we also watch the flights for best prices and got great prices on CA when there prices came out last year. We are under the cut off time when CA pulls out of philly but still holding my breath, May 26 is still good for them apparently. I think the other airlines knew this was coming, hence the higher prices from them

Delta dropped like a rock today. Standard coach fare dropped $100 but For the same cost per person (approx $500). Just for kicks I priced the same flight first class... only $70 more!

Guess who's riding up front in August?

That's exactly what we did on Delta!!!! Except that the first class seats for the times we wanted,( arrive early, leave late) were actually $2.00 CHEAPER than the coach seats for the SAME flights..... Have NEVER seen that before. Plus we now have the option of TWO FREE checked bags each (not that we will bring that much) but it just brings the cost down even MORE if we do.....

Our flights are out of Atlanta, July 12-22 We'll be sitting up front too, row 4. SWEET!!

Quote Originally Posted by hummedan View Post
    Delta dropped like a rock today. Standard coach fare dropped $100 but For the same cost per person (approx $500). Just for kicks I priced the same flight first class... only $70 more!

Guess who's riding up front in August?

Thanks for the great tip !!!
    While we are already booked for this year, I would have never thought of checking first class and it being almost the same price or cheaper than coach. Just checked and WOW !
    I'll always check first class from now on, just in case...
    Thanks again!

Jeff and Susan
    CSS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,
    2011, 2012, 2013
    CTI: 2009
    CN: 2011

Oh how I love this message board. I saw this post and called Delta. We went from economy to first class for $48.00 each . Of course we had to pay a penalty since we had the lowest nno-refundable fare when we originally booked but it was worth it. Never flown first class but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Tim&Janet82 and bigwillie,

Do you guys also fly out of Atlanta? Are you traveling in July? I've never seen this happen before but was happy to share as soon as I confirmed that what we were seeing online was TRUE and that we were actually able to book them at this price, AND for what we consider the prime flights!! Get to Montego at 10:30am on arrival day and don't fly out till 3:00pm on departure date....

Glad you were able to get your tickets switched, first class seats are awesome, but rarely worth the extra cost up front....