Default waterproof cameras Panasonic Lumix TS3/TS4, Olympus TG820

We are researching these cameras to determine which would be the best investment. We want it for snorkeling and the resort scuba dive at Couples. We have a 3 year old waterproof Olympus that we've had nothing but leakage every time we use it. The seals on it are nonexistent compared to the new Olympus we have looked at. We saw the Lumix TS3 mentioned previously on the message board and was hoping for some reviews now that you have had time to use it. The TS4 is new for 2012. Unfortunately, we can only locate the Lumix online. None of the local camera stores stock the Lumix. We hate purchasing a camera without seeing it first. Olympus told us that on their camera we should have the seals changed every year at a cost of about $65. That seems ridiculous to spend $300 on a waterproof camera and then spend that much every year to make sure it does not leak. Any insight on these cameras would be wonderful and really appreciated. We know there are cameras out there where you can purchase a hard case for it but we would prefer not to do that. We had a 35 mm that we had a hard case for but now want a digital. One other camera we were looking at is the Nikon AW100, if anyone has this one and likes it.
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

Default waterproof cameras

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaandBruce.PA View Post
    We are researching these cameras to determine which would be the best investment. We want it for snorkeling and the resort scuba dive at Couples. We have a 3 year old waterproof Olympus that we've had nothing but leakage every time we use it. The seals on it are nonexistent compared to the new Olympus we have looked at. We saw the Lumix TS3 mentioned previously on the message board and was hoping for some reviews now that you have had time to use it. The TS4 is new for 2012. Unfortunately, we can only locate the Lumix online. None of the local camera stores stock the Lumix. We hate purchasing a camera without seeing it first. Olympus told us that on their camera we should have the seals changed every year at a cost of about $65. That seems ridiculous to spend $300 on a waterproof camera and then spend that much every year to make sure it does not leak. Any insight on these cameras would be wonderful and really appreciated. We know there are cameras out there where you can purchase a hard case for it but we would prefer not to do that. We had a 35 mm that we had a hard case for but now want a digital. One other camera we were looking at is the Nikon AW100, if anyone has this one and likes it.
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Hello , I dont know about the lumix, but I know that canon makes two different ones the d10 and the d20,also pentech makes a couple also all most of these are in the 300- 380 range! Good luck ..

I bought a water proof bag on amazon for $20 USD I think it is DICApac brand, but there are others out there. I tried it at home in the hot tub and it works good, we'll see how it does in the ocean this June.

I have a Lumix and love it. Great pictures and easy to use. The motion camera is also good. I haven't taken it in the water, but I think Panasonic makes a solid product.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

My wife and I also were contemplating buying a water proof camera but we settled on a Dicpac waterproof case for our digital camera. We did the tests and it seems to work. We are only going for our free scuba class and snorkel so the depth limits 33' should not be a problem.

Check out "SeaLife" underwater cameras. They take still shots AND video, under water AND above the water. We started out with the Mini a few years ago and moved up to the DC 1200 last year. We LOVE both of them!! NO cases needed, the camera itself is waterproof. New for 2012 is a DC1400. We have taken both the mini and the DC1200 to 110 feet (I think they are rated to 200 feet). The resort dive goes no deeper than 30-40 feet.

We use www.leisurepro.com but there are LOTS of scuba dealerships that carry SeaLife.

How deep are you planning on going? I bought a Cannon DS 110. Its waterproof up to 30 feet. I have taken it to the river and have had no problems with it in or out of the water.

This is a great camera take great photos
    Fujifilm FinePix XP20 14 MP Underwater Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom

CMCindyA... Thanks for the thought on the Sealife. We hadn't even thought of that. My husband said our old 35MM with the waterproof case is a Sealife and we never had any problems with it. We have started reseaching the DC1400. It's a bit more pricey but you get what you pay for. And we wouldn't have to worry about changing any of the seals. So in the long run, we'd be saving money. We have a local dealer that is supposed to sell them so we'll give them a call and see. Thanks again everyone for your responses.

We have an Olympus stylus 1050 sw. It is 4 years old and other than being beat up it still takes great pics and vid. We also have a Fuji Xp. It works ok. Takes time to get a good focus with the button half down. Tends to take blurry shots if you don't give it a sec to focus.