Thread: Cameras

Default Cameras

Do you think we should bring our nice camera, or disposable? If we bring our nice camera is there room in the safe for it? Is ther a resort photographer?

There is a Resort photographer at each resort that takes photos of guests in various locations around the resort.

As for bringing your nice camera, this all depends on how many pictures you want to take, and how much of a photo buff you are (ie, what quality of shots you want to get).

A typical pocket size digital camera is great for taking the average shot, and as the name implies, fits in your pocket, so is small in size.

Bringing a DLSR usually requires having your camera bag with you and a couple of lenses as well, so this infringes on the amount of space in your suitcases for the rest of your stuff.

We've been to Couples 3 times now, and did not bring our DLSR for the first 2 trips, because we were thinking that it would be too big, might not fit in the safe etc... Our most recent trip we decided that we would just bring it, because we wanted some nicer shots that a pocket sized digi-cam can't typically do, and we made room for it in our bags.

Once we arrived, we had to take the camera and lenses out of the bag, but everything fit in the safe when we weren't using it, and the shots we were able to get were of much greater quality then with our little digi-cam.

We wonít be leaving the good camera at home again, thatís for sure!

If you are going to CSS, you will want your good camera, as there are so many opportunities for some amazing photos around the resort. We have been 5 times, and are booked for 6 and 7, and always find something new to photograph!
    (Karen&Paul)

I took 2 or 3 point and shoots and my dslr with me last time I went. Two lens and the body fit in my carry on as did the P&S. next trip is the same plus a gopro hero2.

I agree with Jay&Jen...here's a couple of other things to take into consideration. Before our last trip to CN in February, it seems the resort photographer was pretty much available only at night for posed pictures by the pool. Last trip, however, the photographers were everywhere....watersports during the day, doing a photo shoot of people dancing during the nightly entertainment, even at our private dinner (I did not request this either---but what fantastic pictures). I think they will follow you around for a day or whatever....maybe since they have their own on-site photo stuff at CN, more pix they take, more pix they sell....I still take my digital camera as opposed to a disposable. Hope this helps.

If you have a nice digital (pocket size) bring that with a few cards. As the others stated you can use the resort photographer for pics of you and your SO. Those will be the ones you frame and display at home. Use the digital and snap as many pictures as you like. With a disposable you won't know if you got a good picture until you get them developed.

Cigarmanpa that is what we are bringing with us and I was worried about it all fitting in the safe. thanks for everyone's responses, even though it wasn't my post I had the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Shartalin View Post
    Cigarmanpa that is what we are bringing with us and I was worried about it all fitting in the safe. thanks for everyone's responses, even though it wasn't my post I had the same question.
    the first day i was worried about making sure stuff was in the safe, after that I realized i was worried about nothing. The only stuff I kept in the safe by the end of the week was my wallet/key, passports and a small envelope of cash...the stuff I hadn't touched since we checked in. We had stuff laying all over the place, wedding rings, cameras, cigars, cash, high end sunglasses. nothing was bothered. One of the people who cleaned our room organized stuff better then I ever thought to, including folding a pile of clothes we had ditched in order to get changed and get to dinner on time, the beech bar at css is a damn fine place to forget what time you're scheduled for dinner. One day the person cleaning our room was cute enough to put my wifes tooth brush and mine in the same cup in a very cute way. No idea why but it was very cute.

I am a pro wedding photographer in Houston and for years I took alot of gear to resorts. ALOT! I just didnt think I could be happy if I didnt. A year and half ago I bought a Canon g12 and frankly that is my travel camera now. I like it because I can use it like the big cameras using full manual and shooting in Raw. Took it on a 2 week trip to Italy and had outstanding results. Good enough to print 12x24 full page spreads in an album. There is a sacrifice in some lens choices(wide angle is not super wide) but in general it works really well. The real beauty is I could add off camera lighting or a flash to it since it has a hot shoe. Yea it cost a little more but has been well worth it. If your just buying it to use it on program mode then you are wasting your money.

So, my thoughts run like this. Will you regret not taking your DSLR? If you think you will then pack it all up and haul it down there. Do you feel that with the right little camera you can take just as good of photos as the your full size gear then go for it. Spend a little more on a decent camera that allows you to use it like an advanced amateur or pro could. My guess is once you try it you will not want to schlep around your gear anymore.
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

Very informative Scott C, thanks. Canon g12 huh? Now I got to look into that. Not in the market for a new camera yet, but that might be the next one.

My wife and I took our point & shoot cameras to Couples Swept Away (5/14-5/21) and they have a safe in the room that was actually bigger than I thought it would be.

Take the point and shoot (not a DSLR tho).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dulina View Post

Take the point and shoot (not a DSLR tho).
    I must ask "why"? The flexibility one offers can provide STUNNING printable goodies, or solid photo contest entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I must ask "why"? The flexibility one offers can provide STUNNING printable goodies, or solid photo contest entries.
    It was much easier to carry the Point & Shoot camera compared to a big DSLR. Granted the pictures aren't "as" nice but they are still nice (depending on what P&S camera you have)

I bring two small point & shoot's. I have a waterproof case for one which I use scuba diving. I love having the case because a sandy beach isn't the best environment for an expensive camera. I can take it to the beach and on the cat cruise. Works great and no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by DayBob View Post
    I bring two small point & shoot's. I have a waterproof case for one which I use scuba diving. I love having the case because a sandy beach isn't the best environment for an expensive camera. I can take it to the beach and on the cat cruise. Works great and no worries.
    I need to look up on Amazon to see how much a waterproof case cost. Thanks for the reminder.