Thread: Motorcycle Burn

Default Motorcycle Burn

Welp I've done it! Burnt my leg on a motorcycle last night ..... 11 days before we arrive. !!!!!!!!!! What can I do? It's going to be a terrible spot on my leg! Do you think I will be able to swim by then?!?!?!

ahhh, finally an area im an expert in.. I went over the front of my mtn bike 5 days before our departure date last year, broke my arm in 2 places, and removed a good amount of skin also- not sure if you are talking road rash, or actual burn- but probably very similar. You will look like a lepper for a day or two, but the salt water will take care of the rest-will cure your skin like bacon. The combination of rum and salt water will be fine---disclaimer ****im not a Doctor, but i did sleep in a holiday Inn Express last night. mike

Don't know about the swimming, but it could be worse. Before we went to CSA in 2010 my husband broke his ankle in a motorcycle wreck. He got the cast cut off the day before we left, but was still on crutches and in a walking boot while we were there. We got along just fine and didn't let it ruin our vacation. Have fun!

I did that once. Had to have a skin graft. Have it checked by a doctor before you go.

Life is good

If you keep neo-sporin or some other antibiotic ointment on it it will speed the healing process. Depends on how bad the burn is as to how long it will take to heal up. If it is second degree, blister with no scorched skin, it should be in pretty good shape by the time you leave. If you have scorched the skin off the wound it will take longer to heal. You may have to be careful about getting it wet while on vacation, depends on how far along the healing is. If it hurts to get it wet and is still raw I would keep it out of the ocean and pool.

I am a veteran of more exhaust pipe burns than I care to remember. I burned my leg pretty good a couple days before my high school graduation, forty years ago, and limped across the stage. I still have a trace of a scar to this day.

I personally feel the salt-water does wonders to help heal wounds. You'll be fine!

Ouch!! I've done that too. I hope you put antibiotics on it right away. Keep it clean and change the bandage every day. I always use a triple antibiotic ointment.

I doubt that it will be completely healed by the time you go. Try and keep it out of the sun.

Good luck

Thanks for all the good advice! We are now 7 days out, and it is looking much better. My soon-to-be had our doctor call me in some "silver sulfurdiazine" and that is doing wonders. It's so funny: some people say keep it bandaged, and others say I'd better take the bandage off right away! For now, I'm keeping it on : P If it is still messed up next monday, I'm bringing the saran wrap lol. JK

I will NOT be letting it ruin our vacation!!!!

For anyone else out there who is as accident prone as I am, I researched it and found a hard-core bandage called "tegaderm" that is completely waterproof, yet it still breaths. People who have injection valves and such (like for chemo or insulin) often use it, and they say it totally keeps water out! Somewhat pricy, but might be worth it!

If you're going between May 28th and June 6th, we'll see ya there!

Hope your burn is healing well. The ointment you are using is the best there is for burns. It's what is used on burn patients in the hospital. You should check when you last had a tetanus vaccination. If it's been 10 years I would highly suggest you get another before going to Jamaica. Don't do it right before you leave because you have have a sore arm for a few days. I would leave the area open when possible but cover it if you are going to be doing something that might disturb the skin covering the burn. You don't want to scratch or remove that tender skin or blister.
    It's up to you if you want to put a bandage over the area when in the pool or ocean. Just make sure you take it off when you get out of the water.
    Tegaderm is great stuff but you can't put it directly on the burn. It's like a really strong tape - medical version of duct tape. Pulling the tape off the burn will damage the skin and then you will be in a big mess. Not to mention increasing your possibility of getting an infection in the wound. You don't want to do that while out of the country.

Depending how large the area is you might want to cover the burn if you are sitting in the sun. Sunburn on a burn is just asking for trouble. Take a white cotton tube sock and cut the foot off to make a band wide enough to cover the burn. It the burn is weepy put a gauze pad over the area before putting on the tube sock band. You might want to make a few of these band to take with you because you should wash them every day and things take a long time to dry in Jamaica.

Hope this helps and you enjoy your vacation.
    Karon

Karon, thanks for all the advice! I'm hoping I can find plenty to do there sans water for at least the first few days we are there! Unfortunately, the doctor said it is a pretty nasty burn, so I pretty much have to keep it bandaged at all times. I've had two shots of antibiotic, a tetanus shot, and bactrim pills ; p well, and Lortabs lol. I'm now a walking pharmacy! We are 4 days from being there, and we will have 9 nights. Hopefully by the end I can use the Tegaderm and swim a bit! If not, I'll drink more.

Quote Originally Posted by axmh1985 View Post
    Welp I've done it! Burnt my leg on a motorcycle last night ..... 11 days before we arrive. !!!!!!!!!! What can I do? It's going to be a terrible spot on my leg! Do you think I will be able to swim by then?!?!?!
    Perfect place to find a true aloe plant for the burn. Aloe is a natural remedy for burns.

There's lots to do sans water. Walking the beach and getting to know the locals can be fun or maybe look at an excursion. As for medications, it sounds like you've got it covered.
    Suggestion: Shave the hair around the burn before you apply the tegaderm. It wont hurt so much taking the tape off.
    Enjoy!
    Karon

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    There's lots to do sans water. Walking the beach and getting to know the locals can be fun or maybe look at an excursion. As for medications, it sounds like you've got it covered.
    Suggestion: Shave the hair around the burn before you apply the tegaderm. It wont hurt so much taking the tape off.
    Enjoy!
    Karon
    Also, I know this sounds crazy, but if you apply milk of magnesia to the skin (and let it dry!) before applying that tegaderm, it will prevent or greatly reduce irritation from the strong adhesive.