Default CSS Dunns and Shopping Trips???

Has anyone done the shopping excursion and if so, thoughts? I realize it's probably a tourist "trap" but I kinda think it would be fun. If I want to grab a few things to bring back home and don't go on the shopping trip do vendors come to CSS at all?

Also, does anyone know for sure what days the cruise ships do not dock? I have heard that Sunday and Wed are the times to do the Falls as there are no ships in port then, true?

Whatever you buy own the shopping tour you can buy at the airport. Also Sundaya are for sure that no cruise ships are in port and Dunns river is almost empty

Definitely do the Dunns River Falls on "off days" from the cruise ships. Also, I'd plan on going downtown on those "off days" also. Remember, once the cruise ship docks there will be a couple thousand people decending on Ocho Rios that day!!! The resort can tell you exactly when the ships are in town so that you can avoid going downtown on those days.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richli2 View Post
    Whatever you buy own the shopping tour you can buy at the airport. Also Sundaya are for sure that no cruise ships are in port and Dunns river is almost empty
    Thanks! I figured that Sundays might be a good choice as a lot of cruises start or finish on Sundays ... I think we will skip the shopping trip as now I know there are vendors at CSS too,

If you go on the shopping trip there's a craft market nearby where you can get some really good deals.

blridgway...Hi Brenda... We were at CSS April 13 to 21. We had friends with us. We really enjoy taking a taxi from Couples into Ocho Rios and spending a few hours going thru the shops. There are 2 shopping centers about 2 blocks from each other that we love, Island Village and Tajmahal. If you are in the market for any jewelry, we have found some really good deals in town. We had the driver drop us at Tajmahal and then walked to Island Village and he picked us up there. Margaritaville is in Island Village if you are interested. My husband is a parrot head and has to get his Buffett t-shirts. The taxi is $25 round trip and we split that with our friends. You don't pay the driver until you return to Couples. If you enjoy shopping at all, it is a fun afternoon. We enjoy a day out and a break from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by blridgway View Post
    Thanks! I figured that Sundays might be a good choice as a lot of cruises start or finish on Sundays ... I think we will skip the shopping trip as now I know there are vendors at CSS too,
    We took the shopping trip on our first visit to CSS. We were somewhat disappointed, not with Couples but for where we went. They first took us to a couple of "strip malls" which I don't think are even owned by Jamaicans (at least we didn't see any Jamaicans working at any of them).
    Our last stop was to the Island Village shopping center which actually was pretty nice. The only problem was that we were only able to spend about an hour there. we would have liked it if it was the only stop on the shopping trip.
    We returned another day on our own via cab (arranged by Couples staff) and stayed as long as we wanted which was great. It's a beautiful layout and Margaritaville is located in here if you partake in the trip from CSS thats offered.
    We always end up going there for a few hours when we go to CSS....always by cab so we can leave when we want. The prices are kinda high and I don't think we ever really bought much there but its very tropical and all of the stores are connected via wood decking. There are some great places to grab a bite to eat and a cold one. They have a huge stage there but we never saw anyone on it when we were there. They may have entertainment at night?? If you do go, I would make sure it was on a non-cruise day for sure.
    Richli2 is right, the newly remodeled airport is now more of a shopping mall with airplanes and will have any type of souvenir you could want. Island Village is a nice place to check out but if all you are going for are souvenirs, wait til you get to the airport. It's a great way to kill that 2-3 hours before your flight leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Richli2 View Post
    Also Sundaya are for sure that no cruise ships are in port and Dunns river is almost empty
    This is not true. You need to check the cruise ship schedule:

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Here is a link to a site that gives the Ocho Rios port schedule -- someone had posted this on the MB a few months back. We will be using this to plan our Dunn River Falls trip...

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=480&date=52

Quote Originally Posted by Tallman2nd View Post
    Here is a link to a site that gives the Ocho Rios port schedule -- someone had posted this on the MB a few months back. We will be using this to plan our Dunn River Falls trip...

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=480&date=52
    Thanks. I will remember that and use it for planning purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    We took the shopping trip on our first visit to CSS. We were somewhat disappointed, not with Couples but for where we went. They first took us to a couple of "strip malls" which I don't think are even owned by Jamaicans (at least we didn't see any Jamaicans working at any of them).
    Our last stop was to the Island Village shopping center which actually was pretty nice. The only problem was that we were only able to spend about an hour there. we would have liked it if it was the only stop on the shopping trip.
    We returned another day on our own via cab (arranged by Couples staff) and stayed as long as we wanted which was great. It's a beautiful layout and Margaritaville is located in here if you partake in the trip from CSS thats offered.
    We always end up going there for a few hours when we go to CSS....always by cab so we can leave when we want. The prices are kinda high and I don't think we ever really bought much there but its very tropical and all of the stores are connected via wood decking. There are some great places to grab a bite to eat and a cold one. They have a huge stage there but we never saw anyone on it when we were there. They may have entertainment at night?? If you do go, I would make sure it was on a non-cruise day for sure.
    Richli2 is right, the newly remodeled airport is now more of a shopping mall with airplanes and will have any type of souvenir you could want. Island Village is a nice place to check out but if all you are going for are souvenirs, wait til you get to the airport. It's a great way to kill that 2-3 hours before your flight leaves.
    Wow! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaandBruce.PA View Post
    blridgway...Hi Brenda... We were at CSS April 13 to 21. We had friends with us. We really enjoy taking a taxi from Couples into Ocho Rios and spending a few hours going thru the shops. There are 2 shopping centers about 2 blocks from each other that we love, Island Village and Tajmahal. If you are in the market for any jewelry, we have found some really good deals in town. We had the driver drop us at Tajmahal and then walked to Island Village and he picked us up there. Margaritaville is in Island Village if you are interested. My husband is a parrot head and has to get his Buffett t-shirts. The taxi is $25 round trip and we split that with our friends. You don't pay the driver until you return to Couples. If you enjoy shopping at all, it is a fun afternoon. We enjoy a day out and a break from the beach.
    Thanks Brenda1 Sounds like we might enjoy going to Island Village and shopping, still not sure and our trip is a long way off, lol, just making notes in the CSS folder. We might decide that no one needs souvenirs, lol since it's our anniversary trip!

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    I'll never understand this, but I see it posted pretty often. Those folks ARE Jamaicans; they live and work in Jamaica...many have been there their whole lives. Please don't let this misunderstanding sway where you contribute to the economy.

FWIW, Island Village is a virtual ghost town since the Trelawny port opened. The Puma store is great, but many of the jewelry/watch stores are empty.

Taj Mahal and Soni's are keeping a presence.

K, so there are a few shopping excursions posted on the activity schedule, I am not interested in bartering at all, I am just not aggressive enough for that, would one be better than another? I guess what I am asking is, are they all they all high pressure sales, or are you able to just browse freely without people hasseling you? I would like to do at least one of these, and just looking at what would be the best option for me. I really don't have anything particular I would be shopping for, just like to shop!

Hassle free shopping in jamaica? I think Island Village is best for that and yes the strips have very few jamaican shops, most seemed to be owned by Pakistani's and Folks from India. I must sa I find the cultures very diverse!!
    My question- is there alcohol to be found? My friend is looking for pure white hennesy and I need to buy it in jamaica

If you don't want to barter, you'll pay over retail at any store, but you'll make the locals happy shopping for craft items.

Quote Originally Posted by keki60 View Post
    d yes the strips have very few jamaican shops, most seemed to be owned by Pakistani's and Folks from India.
    These folks ARE Jamaican, in most cases. It's in the West INDIES for a reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by keki60 View Post
    ? My friend is looking for pure white hennesy and I need to buy it in jamaica
    Airport.
    Last edited by KrisJamie; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:15 AM.