Default Does hurricane season scare you??

We are trying to plan another trip to Jamaica and was wondering if you are scared of hurricane season? Do you avoid that time all together?

No it doesnt. We go because the prices are lower. However hurricane insurance is a good thing to have. If i go later in hurricane season I buy it. But in the beginning of the season and att the end I don't. Also know it could rain everyday, but we don't care. I have sat on the beach in the rain, when its cloudy, We are in Jamaica so its all good

We were married at CSA in Oct 2008 and going back this Oct for our 3rd trip (other was in May). So, no it doesn't scare us. We just purchase insurance and pray for the best!!!

So, here's the thing about weather anywhere..hard to predict. We had perfect weather April 2006 at CN, a lot of rain at CN in July 2008, wind and red flag days at CTI in March 2010....so we decided to travel back to CN in April of this year and experienced the worst weather of all four trips. It certainly didn't keep us from having fun, but it unfortunately kept us from doing things we had planned (because they were cancelled). And so, we have now decided to just book when we want and not rely on weather forecasts.

I am booking another trip having just come back from Couples Negril. I wondered about the hurricane season. but in the end I just want to be back there as it was sooooo amazing. We are trying to book for 11th November as season I thought ended 31st October, but hey the weather is crazy this year all over the world. I just dream of going back soon.......Whatever the weather it will be a beautiful experience. Kind regards... Eva......

9th trip in Oct coming...so, no.

We go the second weekend of November every year. It's the tail end of hurricane season, but it has never been an issue. There was one "in the vicinity" in 2010, but it moved west away from the island and never threatened.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

Does not scare me, just get the trip insurance in case. I believe they don't even evacuate depending on the strength. Seems to me I have even seen you tube videos from a room at Swept Away during a hurricane.

We were at CTI during Ivan in September 2004. It was scary but also a wonderful experience. The management and staff handled the situation magnificently. They kept everyone calm and handled everyone's needs. At the time could not think of any other place we would rather be if it was the last day on earth. Still return every year in September.

Life is too short! Therefore, go and enjoy paradise!

Paul and Debbie
    Loyalists since 1980

No we usually go inlate August and have had a few storms come before or after we were there. One year it hit the day we were supposed to travel and they closed the airport so we could not get there. Had to reschedule.

Nope! The weather is so unpredictable. We're stoked to go in September!!!! I don't think any month or season should be off limits to travel to the caribbean. And if there's a hurricane....it might even be fun...hehe....providing no one gets hurt, of course!

Laura

We went to Cuba in September 2008 & 2009 and had great weather. Last year we went to Couples Negril in September and it only rained hard the last afternoon. I guess we have been lucky as we are booked again at CN for this September as well as September 2013.
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

We always visit Couples around the last week of August. Last year and every other year we have had great weather at Couples Negril. August 2011 there was an earthquake and Hurricane Irene during the same week in New Jersey. The hurricane destroyed my mother-in-laws house at the Jersey shore. You just never know!!

The only thing that scares me is the thought that I could not go to CN. We have been there in some pretty wet, rainy weather and still had a great time. This is saying a lot coming from a sun lover.

Hi everyone, just a quick question. When does hurricane season starts???
    we are going next month (June) and was wondering should we get the insurance? I wasnt going to get it, but my mate is uncertain.

Doesn't scare us at all ..... We've been to CN twice for our anniversary September 7 & the weather was totally fine both times .... Afternoon showers like normal that lasted a few sprinkles to a couple of hours tops. We did have to watch the weather really close before one of those trips because Hurricane Dean went through a couple of days before we left but we had the "cancel for any reason up to day of departure" insurance so if we'd have had to have rescheduled, we could have ..... No problems, though. Save the money & book when it fits your schedule & budget ...... Chances are slim & none that you'll have any hurricane worries.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by sexy ty View Post
    Hi everyone, just a quick question. When does hurricane season starts???
    we are going next month (June) and was wondering should we get the insurance? I wasnt going to get it, but my mate is uncertain.
    Hurricane season is June 1 - November 1. We've already had 2 tropical storms.... We always get travel insurance because we live on the East Coast and hurricanes could keep us from leaving here. Also, we have older siblings that are not in the best of health. Whether or not to get insurance is a personal choice but IMHO, I would not invest the amount of money for this trip without the insurance to ease my mind.

No it does not. We have gone to Jamaica every year since 2000 during Hurricane season and never had a lock down. Yes, a day lots of rain, but nothing to make us change our time.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    No we usually go inlate August and have had a few storms come before or after we were there. One year it hit the day we were supposed to travel and they closed the airport so we could not get there. Had to reschedule.
    2010...getting there was a pain.....everything at the resort was just great as always

I worry more about getting there (we live in Louisiana) than a hurricane in Jamaica. One of the reasons we HAVE to purchase insurance is because I always fear there will be a storm that keeps us from getting there. We leave out of MSY and usually have a layover in MIA....

We live in FL so deal with hurricane season every year. Yes, it scares me, and not because I would miss a vacation but because I have seen first hand the devastation hurricanes can cause. I have experienced it here at home and also in Jamaica years ago when Gilbert, a Cat. 5 storm caused massive damage. I was there about 3 weeks after the storm hit and it was awful.

We buy insurance to protect us financially for trips but the truly scary part of hurricane season is what can potentially happen to people who are affected by these storms on a personal level.

This post should probably be preficed by the admission that we are from coastal South Carolina, and as such, hurricane scares are the norm.

We were there for Hurricane Dennis in July of 2005. I believe that it was a Cat 3 when it passed just north of Jamaica. The staff handled the situation very well, and it didn't even ruin our vacation. The resort is equiped with a generator that worked well, and I don't recall being without electricity at any point.

We have returned during early July and are going back on June 30 of this year. Can't wait to be back home.