Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carry on luggage only? Pros & Cons

I keep debating with myself whether it is worth it to try the carry on only. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

The only pros I can see is saving a few dollars and on the way back if you have a short layover.

Cons I cannot carry enough liquids in my carry on, and I need sun screen, wont risk resort not having the kind I need. And we need room for souvenirs on the way home.

We have done the checked and the carry on only... we now prefer carry on only. We have learned after several trips to pack light. You don't get on the shuttle to the resort any quicker by not having any checked baggage since you wait a few minutes for everybody to get to the lounge before the bus departs, so don't just do carry on for that reason alone. We like it just cause we like having our stuff with us... we only bring one carry on for each of us and that works well. I also carry a tiny backpack with our paperwork/cash/passports etc.. in it.

We travel carry on only and would never go any other way. We find no reason to haul around stuff you don't need. It works for us, anyway. To each their own, though.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

For me it's easier and what we do most of the time when we travel. Especially if we're going to a tropical place like CSA. It also helps in not over packing. After all a few swimsuits and cover ups don't take up much room at all. It leaves plenty of room for clothes to wear in the evening and some casual clothes if we go any where during the day. I find that I spend pretty much all day in a swimsuit/cover up anyway. I also don't take 15 pairs of shoes. I bring a 2 pr for evening wear, flip flops, tennis shoes and no more.

Another bonus it gets you through all the lines faster so you can be in the Couples lounge that much sooner!

I wish I could just use a carry on but with all the gala's and parties I need space for everything!!!

For 3 years we have just done carry ons.
    Plus- no worries about lost luggage, no charge, you can get on another flight sooner if your flight is cancelled. Buy the luggage bags that squish everything( no Vacuum needed), also you CAN wear things more than 1 time and only you and your partner will know, quick return- you are not waiting for luggage prior to going through customs in US and also same in Jamaica. I also suggest if you are doing carry ons- print your boarding passes at Couples so you do not need to stand in line to check in.

Minuses- none

I always check a bag so I can bring everything I want. I don't have to pay either with my preferred airline's credit card. Worth the annual fee, save it times over through the year. I don't agree that any time is saved as by the time you pass through immigration your bags are unloaded.

I'll probably get some flack for this but I wish they would charge of do other things to discourage all the excessive carry ons - we would all get through security and on and off the plans faster!

The last 2 times we traveled to Couples we only had carry-ons and it was absolutely wonderful!! Our most recent trip was for 10 days and I still came home with at least one dress that I didn't wear. The biggest challenge is the liquids but we managed by using the shampoo, body wash and lotion that Couples provides. The only thing I ran out of was mouthwash. It is really great when you get back home and you don't have to wait for your luggage!

I would like to know what you do about a razor if you only bring a carry-on. I didn't think they'd let you bring one on a plane. Do you buy a cheep one when you get to Jamaica?

You can bring disposable razors on plane.

We just completed a week+ int'l trip w/ carry-on only and it worked very well for us. We'll try to list Pro/Con with a Jamaica/Couples perspective:

Pro's:
    Possible time savings:
    • ---At original airport check-in, no need to stand in line to check bags.
    • ---Arrival at MBJ; you may or may not save time by not having to retrieve your checked bags. That depends on how long it took to de-plane, get to immigration, and the length of lines at immigration. You may also draw less attention at customs by having smaller carry-on bags, though customs at MBJ seems to rarely give much trouble. Some claim there is no time savings as you must wait on the Couples transfer bus. In our experience, that all depends on how soon the bus leaves and whether you are opting for a private transfer (private car, plane, helicopter, etc.)
    • ---Checking in at Couples - this is minor, but fewer, smaller bags may get you on your way slightly quicker.
    • ---Check-out at Couples; No need to have your bags outside your door at XX hour for the bellhop (assuming you bring your carry-ons to the front desk yourself).
    • ---At MBJ airport check-in, no need to stand in line to check bags (if you print your boarding passes at Couples).
    • ---At your first (and possibly final) destination in the U.S. If you have a connecting flight, at most US airports (if not all) after you clear your checked bags through customs you must re-check your checked bags for your final destination.
    • ---No wait for your checked bags at your final destination.

Lower chance of lost luggage.
    Possible savings on checked baggage fees (dependent on your airline, member status, luggage size/weight)
    Forces one to really think hard on what you need to bring (many people find they overpack for Couples).

Con's:
    Restricted packing space (obviously)
    Restriction on liquids (some can live with the 3-1-1 amounts, others opt to purchase needed items on arrival)
    Restriction on souvenir space (for return)
    Possible anxiety over boarding sooner (the overhead space may run out and you'd have to gate-check your carry-on). This is probably more advice than a con - board as soon as you can to maximize availability of overhead space for your carry-on. The downside is more time sitting on the plane (unless you're in 1st and like sitting there).
    Last edited by rudi; May 28th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Good God...carry on only....I am going to poke out my eyes and ears and pretend I didn't see this thread.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Sooooooooooo, do you or don't you?

LOL @ Stacie & Chris...That's the way we're going next time...Of course SSB means even less clothes required

I have found this thread interesting because I was considering doing carry on this year. But I really don't see what it is going to save me.

1. Will still have to stand in line at the Orlando airport to check in because it is international travel and you have to present your passport. Flying JetBlue and you cannot print your boarding pass ahead of time, because it is international travel.

2. Sunscreen, I know that I won't find my brand at Couples, might not find it at the airport or in any of the shops. Easier and cheaper to carry it.

3. Time saved at MBJ, still have to stand in the immigration line and customs for that matter. The only advantage is that I don't have to look for my luggage (which I have never had to wait for, it is there by the time I clear immigration)

4. As I was saying, I am flying JetBlue, so my bag is checked for free.

5. Still have to stand in line for the flight home.

6. Have never had a long wait for my luggage on the return home, usually it is there by the time I clear immigration.

For me, so far, I have not seen anything that means there is a big savings. And I don't have lug around a suitcase with me all the time. I guess I have traveled for business for so long doing carry on that when I don't have to schelp a suitcase it is a little slice of heaven and a true start to my vacation.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

haha

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Quote Originally Posted by redy4vac View Post
    We travel carry on only and would never go any other way. We find no reason to haul around stuff you don't need. It works for us, anyway. To each their own, though.
    Totally agree. Pros are no waiting for bags, no lost bags, no damaged bags.

Cannot think of any cons.

I hate having to deal with trying to cram luggage into overheads. Luckily on our most recent domestic trip, there wasn't any line to check baggage at the airports, and by the time we got to baggage claim, I think we waited all of 5 minutes. I'd opt for having more space for souvenirs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I have found this thread interesting because I was considering doing carry on this year. But I really don't see what it is going to save me.

1. Will still have to stand in line at the Orlando airport to check in because it is international travel and you have to present your passport. Flying JetBlue and you cannot print your boarding pass ahead of time, because it is international travel.

Blondie, we fly JetBlue from Orlando to MBJ and MX all the time and always print our boarding pass in advance. Did it just last weekend and have done so last half dozen trips at least.

Our favorite way to start a vacation is to avoid waiting to get where we are going and carry on helps with that.

I see this is an old thread but just a caution if you're traveling on Air Jamaica/Caribbean Airlines. Last year they instituted a weight limit for carryon luggage that's very low, 17 pounds if I remember correctly. You will have a hard time meeting that weight limit and probably have to check your bag even if it's dimensions meet normal domestic carryon standards. We used to always do carryon only but we've had to check bags on recent trips due to the weight limit.

How in the world could I get all my things in a carry on only??? No way lol, I wish though because it sure would be nice!

If you have only a carry on don't plan on buying anything at the airport unless you have a non-stop flight home. All liquids must be packed in your checked baggage once back in the USA.

Most airlines allow you to take 1 or 2 checked bags with no extra charge. You will need lots of sun screen and enough sundries to get through your 5-7 day stay. Remember that you are in the tropics and you will sweat, so those who like to try to wear the same clothes 2-4 days in a row...stay down wind of me! No matter what bags you bring you have to wait in the same lines at customs and ride the same bus to the resort. Couples employees will move your bags to and from your room. I for one go on vacation to relax and enjoy my stay with clean clothes for day and night rather than trying to consolidate everything just to rush through an airport. This is a vacation...not a business trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast