Default Scuba Diving at Sans Souci vs Negril

We recently came back from a trip to Couples Negril where we went scuba diving twice a day (we did a total of 12 dives!)...it was fantastic, the Scuba team are incredible and the waters are calm and clear. I want to go back in the fall and would love to try Sans Souci but I am worried that the diving / dive team would not be as good as Negril.

If there are any divers that have experience with scuba diving at the Sans Souci resort I would appreciate the input.

Thanks

We went to CN last September and got in 11 dives. We are booked again for Sept 2012 and Sept 2013. We pick the Negril side because we are divers and were told a) the diving is better on the Negril side and b) the winds are heavier on the OR side so there is more chance for big waves or red flags on the beach meaning no diving at all.
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

We just spent a week at CSS. Did 3 dives, calm seas everyday and greater 70 ft vis. Leon in the dive shop was great. I missed the wreck dive due to an ear problem. Sorry I can't comment or compare Negril.

@BettyinToronto - when are you going to be at CN? We will be there late Sept,, Would love to night dive with you!
    Lucy

We will be at CN September 8-15 We always go the weekend after Labour Day. Started going this time a few years back to avoid kids but that is not a problem at Couples. Though there are still some on the plane.
    Betty

We have been diving on both sides, and BettyinToronto is right, there is a better chance of red flag days on the Ocho Rios side. We were at CSS for 7 days and did 7 dives in a 5 day span. I think one of the days was a red flag day. So we only dove on 4 days. That being said, we are going back to CSS in September, and the guys in the Dive shop are great.

We just dove at CSA (also in Negril) and love it, though it was not as good as my Cozumel dives in March. We are booked for CN next May and CSS next October....So, I can't comment for sure on the OR diving....
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Stacie & Chris: Totally agree. We go to Couples every September to be pampered (with some diving) but our dive trips are to Cozumel. This year we are diving in Cozumel 3x (Jan, Apr & Nov) and probably 3x again next year. Already booked Cozumel for Jan 2013 and CN for September 2013.
    Last edited by BettyinToronto; June 1st, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Betty

Thanks everyone for the responses. I may check into CN next fall and do CSS next Spring.

Hi Betty,

We're from the Toronto area as well. when you go to Cozumel where do you stay? Is there a specific dive shop that you use?

We’ve been diving out of CSA and CSS. I have to agree that the Negril side was better, both in conditions and sites. We spent a week at CTI and couldn’t dive at all due to red flag weather. Then we headed to CSS and had weather calm enough to go out. We’ve always been in early to mid Jan. Going to CTI or CSS in the spring/summer might prove to have better conditions?
    As for the dive teams, well, we thought they were awesome at both places we dove, although CSA was back in 2008, so I don’t even know if the dive team is the same guys. They were always so personably and friendly and helpful.
    I just want to comment on Jamaica as a dive destination, seeing as how it tends to be poo-pooed by many people in the dive community. Yes, it is quite over fished, so the amount and variety of sea life there doesn’t equal many other top dive destinations. However, what Jamaica does tend to offer is some pretty easy diving (most of the time, when conditions are good enough to head out) with many calm, shallow sites. It can be a great spot for divers just starting out. In case any new/potential divers are reading this, Cozumel on the other hand should be considered a more experienced diver’s destination. They can get some strong currents there (hence the drift diving), and have many wall sites with blue water and very deep bottoms. Recently some friends (experienced, well traveled divers) ran into big trouble with downwellings (currents that are usually along a wall) that instantly pulled them down very deep. One of them suffered an injury from the experience and someone in another group died that day. Not to scare anyone, but just pointing out a “pro” for Jamaica diving, particularly for new/resort divers giving it a try. Combining Couples plus included easy diving with great dive instructors and divemasters is a big plus I think.
    Some of our favourite dive destinations are Bonaire, Turks & Caicos, Maui, BVI, Grand Cayman... but when we want the all around great beach vacation with an awesome resort and a little easy diving on the side... Couples is it.

We were at CSS in March. Lots of red flag days...only got 2 dives in, which was disappointing. We were able to dive everyday at CN.

alannab: We went to Scuba Club Cozumel in January for the first time on a recommendation and loved it so much we were back in April. Loved that too so when we were there we booked January 2013 as they have a special. Then we got home and hubby said "don't you have a week off in November". I said "yes to visit my sister in Houston". Hmm...well all I can say is this past week we booked SCC again for Nov 10-17. There are lots of places to stay but we love it there. Our November trip is $799 for hotel, 3 meals and 5 days of diving. Check out their website www.scubaclubcozumel.com especially the webcam. Can't be beat but we will never give up our our CN trips every September. As I said in another post "This is our week to be pampered (and it comes with diving)". Last year we got in 11 dives. Not too shabby for a sort of non-diving trip.

jamaicamecrazy: yes this spring was bad for down currents in Cozumel. Sorry to hear your friend was injured and yes a few people died. it was a bad few months for Cozumel. I agree the drift diving can be difficult for new divers and totally agree that Jamaica diving is so easy. Hubby loves it because he can take pictures which is hard if not impossible in Coz.
    Betty