Default Question about returning Flight. Help!!!

Just booked our first trip to couples swept away for November. We have never been to a couples resort before . Ive been readin the message boards for awhile and I've been reallllllly excited about the whole trip and could not wait... but now I'm pretty stressed out. After we booked it I had been told by a few people that a 1hr 22min layover in Newark on our way home isn't enough time because its a longer process being an international flight..i've never flown outside the country before so I did not know this at the time we booked. I just assumed I've always had plenty of time and never had a problem when i've had atleast an hour layover at that airport. Our travel agent should have told us if it was a bad idea but she did not. Flying United Airlines the whole way through. We would be arriving on a Friday at 6:38 pm in Newark and our next flight to Boston leaves at 8:00 pm. As on now, we don't need to switch terminals. We stay in terminal C and we don't plan on checking any luggage. Does anyone know if I should be concerned? I heard weekends are very busy but weekdays arent as bad. Is this true? I really don't want to pay extra to buy another ticket because we got a bad flight.

Why not call your travel agent and ask him/her? I've never flown through Newark so can't answer specifically but I bet you'll hear from other board members who can give you first hand experience. Certainly, doing carry-on will save you waiting for your luggage and then having to recheck it. When you arrive in Newark you will have to go through immigration, then through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha1016 View Post
    Just booked our first trip to couples swept away for November. We have never been to a couples resort before . Ive been readin the message boards for awhile and I've been reallllllly excited about the whole trip and could not wait... but now I'm pretty stressed out. After we booked it I had been told by a few people that a 1hr 22min layover in Newark on our way home isn't enough time because its a longer process being an international flight..i've never flown outside the country before so I did not know this at the time we booked. I just assumed I've always had plenty of time and never had a problem when i've had atleast an hour layover at that airport. Our travel agent should have told us if it was a bad idea but she did not. Flying United Airlines the whole way through. We would be arriving on a Friday at 6:38 pm in Newark and our next flight to Boston leaves at 8:00 pm. As on now, we don't need to switch terminals. We stay in terminal C and we don't plan on checking any luggage. Does anyone know if I should be concerned? I heard weekends are very busy but weekdays arent as bad. Is this true? I really don't want to pay extra to buy another ticket because we got a bad flight.
    That should not be a problem especially because of no baggage.

on our first trip we had 45 min in miami on a saturday to get through customs, get our bags recheck them and get through security . after that we hussled to the smoking area smoked and still made it to the gate 10 min before we borded. as long as your plane isnt late you should have plenty of time.

1.5 hours is not enough in my opinion IF Newark is the fist place you land after leaving montego Bay...

You should be fine, with just going with just carryon. We did it last year in Atlanta and had no problems.

It will definitely go faster if you aren't checking luggage, so you won't have to wait for that. It also would depend on why you missed your connecting flight. Was it the fault of the airline because they were late? Or did you take a stop off to get snacks and spend 30 minutes talking to the cashier about the wonderful time you had at Couples?

I think if it's the airlines fault, they will generally put you on another flight, free of charge. If it's your fault, then you'll probably have to pay to get on another flight. How much that cost depends on the airline.

I think you have a couple of options.
    1. Pay for the change now for your peace of mind. Find another flight that you are more comfortable with and make the change.
    2. Leave it as is and if you make it, you make it. If not, then potentially pay for the change then.

You're on your way home anyway. Yes it would suck to miss it, but at least it wouldn't cut into your vacation time. I'd be more concerned if it was on the way to Couples!

Most likely you will be fine. They wouldnt book it if it wasnt obtainable. Plus....they run flights to boston almost every 30 minutes from EWR...so if you missed your flight you'd be booked on next one.

No worries....have fun

If you are not going to have any luggage to claim and go thru customs with you should be OK, sometimes Immigration gets a little backed up but if you are arriving at terminal C and leaving terminal C you should be fine, stop worrying.

The C Concourse at Newark is enormous. However, that is better than having to catch the shuttle bus or Monorail to go to the A or B concourses. If there is a big backup at Customs/Immigration, you may not have enough time. This happens when several planes disembark at the same time. In normal circumstances, you should allow about 1/2 hour to go through immigration (it could be more or less). It definitely helps that you will not have to wait for luggage and recheck it. Keep in mind, though, that you WILL have to go through security again before boarding your flight to Boston. Security should not be a big deal on a Friday night, though.

As someone who travels every week, I say stick with your current flight. If your inbound flight from MoBay is delayed, and you miss your connecting flight for that reason, the airline will put you on the next available flight (which may or may not be the same evening). Worst case scenario is you miss your connecting flight and have to stay in Newark for the evening. There are lots of hotels located nearby to the airport in Newark. Of course, if it's snowing in the northeast, all bets are off, and it doesn't matter how long you have for your layover.

I would look to see if there are any later flights you could get on with stand by basis if necessary.