Default Safe to go barefoot?

I know in some tropical countries you can get hookworms in your feet if you go barefoot outside. Anyone know if this is a concern at Couples?

Never heard of this concern at Couples before. I go barefoot everywhere...except for breakfast and lunch I throw on flip flops for the restaurant. Have fun!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
    I know in some tropical countries you can get hookworms in your feet if you go barefoot outside. Anyone know if this is a concern at Couples?
    if we have not learned anything in the past few weeks(on the boards is when in doubt think CROCS/closed toe ... LOL .. preferrably with sox

My husband got one last time we were there. That was our 4th trip though and the only time either of us had it happen. Per his doctor, it's a risk in ANY tropical locale, so it's not limited to one island or one resort.

It was a little freaky, but if you get one, the treatment is nothing. He took a pill, just one (don't ask me what - some prescription), and the thing died. Itched him like crazy, freaked him out when he found out it was a critter, but no harm done other than a little mental scarring.

Although hookworms aren't an issue (at least not that I've heard of), whether you need footwear depends upon the resort at which your staying. I have no problem going barefoot all day (except when going to eat) at CN or CSA, but we just returned from our first visit to CSS last week, and I had to buy a pair of flip flops while we were there. You really need footwear to get around at that resort. I haven't stayed at CTI since 1998, so others are better qualified than I am to comment on whether footwear is advisable for that resort.
    Last edited by Pamela; September 4th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I would never wear shoes if the world would let me (and if I lved in a place actually warm enough to do so)! I'm easy to pick out - I'm the one carrying my shoes everywhere! We've been to all 4 resorts and the only time I put shoes on is to go into the restaurants, stores, and bathrooms.

Barefoot is no problem.

Per the faq on one of the Negril sites, you'll be fine in sand, but you might pick something up in soil. I'm no expert, so I don't really know if the author of that faq knows what he or she is talking about. But it is the first definitive word I've ever seen about it.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I wear my water shoes (invest in a nice pair - you won't regret spending the money) on the beach, in the water, and around whatever resort I'm at (haven't been to Couples yet - 36 days and counting!). They protect you from things like hookworms and keep you from cutting your feet on random sharp objects in the water and on the beach. I always wear shoes because I am allergic to the tetanus vaccine so I have to take extra precautions not to get dirty cuts, but I think I'd wear them regardless.

Most people are barefoot on the beach.

I believe you can get hookworms or round worms from walking in the grass anywhere - not just Jamaica. I always wear shoes or flip flops when walking in the grass around my house for that exact reason.
    ... it keepsh me shane

We, like the majority of posters, only wear shoes when needed. Never had a problem with anything.

But...like Steverandlinda said, "Crocs with sox...ROCKS!!"
    Kristen

I have never heard of a case of hookworm at any of the resorts and based on the conditions needed you would never find them at a Couples Resort.

Inexpensive water shoes can be purchased at most department stores and we found Wal Mart aka Wallyworld runs a sale on them for under $10. If you travel about off resort they are a convienent item to wear.

If you are in areas with sea urchins it is advised that you wear some form of foot protection simply for your own safety not the sea urchins.

If you have tender feet water shoes might be considered. The sand gets hot during the day. Even walking on the concrete walkways might be tough on some feet.

Hookworm, any of a number of bloodsucking nematodes in the phylum Nematoda, order Strongiloidae that live as parasites in humans and other mammals and attach themselves to the host's intestines by means of hooks. Hookworm infection in humans is caused by infestation with Ancylostoma duodenale (the European species) or with Necator americanus (the American species). It is found in tropical and subtropical climates, especially where the inhabitants do not wear shoes or stockings and where the soil is contaminated by human excrement.http://www.referencecenter.com/ref/r...e=ar1clk&flv=1

My Wife and I have been going to CN every year since it opened and go bare foot after breakfast until time for dinner. I just checked for critters on my feet and they look ok. Sanitation is great in Jamaica, usually worms are in places that have a lot of stay dogs. Don't worry, it is a great place and the sand is raked every morning. Mike L.

Like I said above, it CAN happen, even at Couples. My husband is proof. Excrement is everywhere, whether we like to think about it or not. In fact, the last time we were there there WAS a stray dog hanging out on the beach. I'm sure that wasn't the only time. Hookworm isn't specific to human excrement: http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Hookworm.htm
    "A larger group of hookworms infecting animals can invade and parasitize humans (A. ceylanicum) or can penetrate the human skin (causing cutaneous larva migrans),..."

What it kind of looked like:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/hookworm.jpg

Like Rdyjmjm said sea urchins are more of an issue...... for that reason in the water it is safer to wear water shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    We, like the majority of posters, only wear shoes when needed. Never had a problem with anything.

But...like Steverandlinda said, "Crocs with sox...ROCKS!!"
    Amen crocs with sox will PREVENT hookworm and will also protect you the worm at the bottotm of tequila enjoy

At CSA, I'm barefoot the entire time, except when going to eat. I'm totally 'bug-o-phobic', so that says a lot about CSA and how clean it is - and bug free - yeah! We go at the end of Feb, beginning of March, so I'm sure the time of year might make a difference.

The day I wear shoes on any beach is the day I jump off the nearest tall building. I've been on beaches in Jamaica, Bermuda, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Cozumel, 4 Hawaiian islands, Puerto Vallarta, cabo san lucas, St. Martan, and several US states (FL, CA, MD, VA, NY)....no worms.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

be my 12th year of going barefoot, No troubles "MON"
    Mary & Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie & Chris View Post
    The day I wear shoes on any beach is the day I jump off the nearest tall building. I've been on beaches in Jamaica, Bermuda, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Cozumel, 4 Hawaiian islands, Puerto Vallarta, cabo san lucas, St. Martan, and several US states (FL, CA, MD, VA, NY)....no worms.
    That's nice.

In Jamaica, hookworms are more of a problem on the public beaches where stray dogs defecate in the sand. Some of the beaches have packs of strays. I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw evidence of strays. I never saw them at CSS.

I'll risk it because the day I can't go barefoot on the beach is the day I'll just stay home ...... Hubby did step on a sea urchin in the swim area of another resort in Jamaica once on our very first trip but in 10 trips there & many to other tropical locations that's our only incident.
    Julie

It is my understanding (could be wrong) that you are at far more risk of this if you are walking in some sort of standing or slow moving fresh water. I would not worry about wearing footware on the beach, but maybe back where there is mud around the ponds in the interior of some of the resorts or on a trip to the falls (mayfield, Y/S , or Dunns River).

We just wear our Moon Boots on the beach so we don't have to worry about a thing.

There was a flood the last time I was at CSS and that brings EVERYTHING down from the mountains. no avoiding it. I made the mistake of going barefoot the day after that and paid for it. I was on antibiotics when I got home for the nasty rash I had on my feet when I got home. doc spent a lot of time in jungles and said it was typical of the tropics. Just wear flip flops when not in the sand and you'll be fine! Who wants to walk barefoot on hot concrete anyway?
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!