Default LADIES another hair thread: Brazillian Blowout vs Keratin treatment

There have been a couple of threads focusing on hair products that help those of us with wild hair keep it under control in the Jamaican heat & humidity, but I would like to hear from anyone that has done hair straightening treatments. A while back a stylist suggested I could do a "mini" keratin treatment in the days before I go--it would last a couple of weeks and be much less expensive than the full treatment; but since then I also heard about the Brazillian Blowout. I have done some research and am leaning toward the Brazillian Blowout, but would love to hear the opinions of the wonderful women on this board!

Laura
    Last edited by lenfest@cti912; May 30th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

I don't have any input on this subject but I'm very interested in this as well!! I have naturally curly hair but prefer to keep it straight, at least at night when we're dressed up! I'm assuming the humidity is going to try to fight me on this, so any info would be very helpful!

Laura

Hi girls you found the right person. I'm a frequent flier to CSS and work in the hair/beauty industry for a hair care line. There are a couple types of straightening treatments , and your right, one is called keratin express that lasts about 4 weeks and less expensive and works very good and there are others to like brizillian blowout, Coppola, etc. I would find a salon who uses keratin express since it works just as good and half the price. All will close the cuticle and will cut down on the frizz. Remember you also have to use good hair care products to keep the cuticle closed as well. Harsh, high PH products such as drug store products will weaken the performance and make the treatment not last as long. Use products like Eufora that have low PH, aloe base, no synthetic ingredients, and have sun protection as well for your hair color. If your going to invest in a treatment insure it with good hair care products. Both Eufora and keratin express have web sites with salon locators. Enjoy and have fun in Jamaica!!

I have been getting Brazilian Blowout treatments every 3 months for the last 2 years and they have completely changed my hair for the better. I have long, very thick hair which used to present like a giant puff on my head and now it is sleek and quick to straighten depending on how I style each day. I know there are warnings out there about these treatments, but I will cry if they ever get taken away because nothing else I have ever tried has worked so well. The more you get them, the better the results too!

Quote Originally Posted by jnfennellaz View Post
    I have been getting Brazilian Blowout treatments every 3 months for the last 2 years and they have completely changed my hair for the better. I have long, very thick hair which used to present like a giant puff on my head and now it is sleek and quick to straighten depending on how I style each day. I know there are warnings out there about these treatments, but I will cry if they ever get taken away because nothing else I have ever tried has worked so well. The more you get them, the better the results too!
    I agree with you on the Brazilian Blowouts!! My hair has gotten so long and I REALLY want to cut it, but of course, my hubby doesn't want me to; I told him the only way it'll stay long is if I can keep doing the blowouts. I've had three now, and I absolutely love them. My hair is normally curly and super thick, so the blowouts are a life-saver!

Gel is my friend.
    I have naturally curly hair and I believe in keeping it natural.
    I use Pro-V and it has become my holy grail.
    Embrace your curls!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

You could always get your hair braided.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNY View Post
    Hi girls you found the right person. I'm a frequent flier to CSS and work in the hair/beauty industry for a hair care line. There are a couple types of straightening treatments , and your right, one is called keratin express that lasts about 4 weeks and less expensive and works very good and there are others to like brizillian blowout, Coppola, etc. I would find a salon who uses keratin express since it works just as good and half the price. All will close the cuticle and will cut down on the frizz. Remember you also have to use good hair care products to keep the cuticle closed as well. Harsh, high PH products such as drug store products will weaken the performance and make the treatment not last as long. Use products like Eufora that have low PH, aloe base, no synthetic ingredients, and have sun protection as well for your hair color. If your going to invest in a treatment insure it with good hair care products. Both Eufora and keratin express have web sites with salon locators. Enjoy and have fun in Jamaica!!
    Thanks, RobNY! I read some references to these treatments not being compatible with salt water and/or chlorine (ie no swimming ) -- can you confirm that is or is not true?
    Laura

I've been doing the Coppola Keratin treatments since just after we went to CSA in November. This is not the express, but is the treatment that needs to be in your hair for 72 hours. This is annoying, but the result is really terrific!! We're moving to the tropics, and my hair is a giant frizz ball, and I've found that this treatment makes it very soft and straight, but with body.

And yes, with the treatment I had you do need to be careful of salt water or chlorine. I was told that if I rinse with clean tap water immediately after being in the ocean and then apply some of the conditioner, it will be fine. I've tried this with pool (chlorinated) water and have had no problem.

I'd imagine the Keratin Express would provide a similar result for less cost and fuss....
    Last edited by gonegril; June 6th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    You could always get your hair braided.
    Just be careful of getting burned between the braids, this happened to a friend of mine when it peeled it was like the world's worst case of dandruff).

We just went to Punta Cana last month, I kept hearing May was their "humid time" I though oh my if they are actually calling it that I'm in big trouble with what happens to me in JA. So I had the Aveda Smoothing Treatment done, it is suppose to last 8 weeks, I was skeptical, it did not seem to do anything except make my hair harder to brush out when wet. Well the true test was our first evening in Punta Cana, usually I do my hair for dinner and 1o min later I am a frizzy poofed out mess. Well that never happened, a slight frizz but nothing like what normally happens in JA. I live in a pony tail, and or a hat usually. This treatment was $150, and I would do it again. I did not want to spend the $350 to $400 for the straightening treatment, that is too much. This just made me feel much better about myself. I hate feeling like I look like crap cuz my hair looks like crap on tropical vacations. I know you ladies with these issues know exactly what I mean. The guys just don't get it.

My wife has very fine, very straight, blonde hair, but when it hits that humidity, it goes all "Weird Al" on her. She has literally tried everything, but to be honest, you're just fighting nature. On our last couple trips, she just said "forget it" and went with the curls & frizz. I thought it was cute! To be honest, it was very liberating for her to be in paradise and not care about what her hair did. When you are in the water half the trip, whether it's scuba, pool bar, paddleboarding, or whatever, it's easier to just not worry about it. Go with it!