Thread: iPhones

Default iPhones

Just a quick question....how do iphones work in Jamaica?
    I was last there 2 years ago and had a blackberry, it got fried once the humidity from the room being cold and us opening the balcony doors. There was so much moisture in our room, luckily my wives was spared because it was in a zip lock bag. We just want to use our phones to take pics, etc... NOT for facebook/emails/phone calls!! Just don't want to take a chance of having it stop working!

Lee

We've never had any problems with our iPhones.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Used mine this February for pictures.10 days of use. No problem! When you first walk out from air conditioning the lens might get fogged up for a short time is the only problem.

You can use your iphone for everything listed above. I used mine everyday and pretty much took it everywhere oncluding the beach. The wifi there was pretty good in most places. I set my phone up to not use the data only wifi.
    Go to settings, network, then turn off the cellular data. I did that and it worked quite nicely!

I was curious too, so I'm glad you brought it up.. I was also hoping to use my iPhone to call and check on our kids/pets/etc.. How will that work? Skype? iMessage? That's all through wifi, right?

It's like any other piece of electronics, but apparently not as tough. I bring my phone and camera, among other things and leave them out on the porch to acclimate to the humidity; none have died.

Your iPhone will work fine in Jamaica. We have taken ours the last three years. We usually just keep them in the safe when not in use and we don't keep them in Ziploc bags. As for the humidity, yes it is high in Jamaica but it did not fry our iPhones.

Just remember to keep it in airplane mode if you do not want to incur international charges from data and phone calls. In airplane mode, you can enable WiFi and use the free WiFi from the resort to upload your photos, check emails, etc. You could even use Skype on the iPhone if you would like to make calls back home.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Quote Originally Posted by keki60 View Post
    You can use your iphone for everything listed above. I used mine everyday and pretty much took it everywhere oncluding the beach. The wifi there was pretty good in most places. I set my phone up to not use the data only wifi.
    Go to settings, network, then turn off the cellular data. I did that and it worked quite nicely!
    ^This.

Use the wifi to connect to the net and you won't have to worry about increased data costs.

We were at CSA last week and my wife used her iPhone all week for pictures. 'Course we are from St. Louis and our humidity in the summer is every bit of what they have in Jamaica, even worse than what we experienced last week. We went to Jamaica this year to cool off a bit.

Set your phone to "airplane mode" on, "location services" off and connect to the resort wifi. You should be good to do whatever you want to do.

Have a great trip!