Default Changing your name with Jamaican marriage certificate

We were married on 3/10/12 and received our certificate via UPS on 05/07/12. BTW, the certificate is forwarded from Couples stateside offices in Florida and the package required a signature. We could've had ours on Friday the 4th when the first delivery attempt was made but no one was home to sign for it.

Now that we have our marriage certificate, I'm looking into what steps I need to take in order to get my name changed. The thing is that my plan was to use my last name as a middle name, since I don't have a middle name, and then use DH's name as my new surname. Since the marriage certificate doesn't show what your new name will be, will I have a problem changing my name in the manner in which I stated (First name, Maiden name as middle name, His Last Name)? My fear is that I will be told by the different government agencies that since the certificate does not specify the name change I want, it assumes the only choice for a name change is My First Name His Last Name.

Has anyone done something similar to what I want using a Jamaican marriage certificate? Could you share your experience?

Any help/advice will be appreciated. I know I'll be able to find out first hand soon enough but I thought I'd ask before going just so I have some idea of what to expect. The Ohio BMV is very picky about making sure your name matches exactly on every piece of document you submit to them for proof of identity which is why I'm a bit nervous about starting the process. I know I'll have to sooner than later but I'm almost dreading it!

Thanks!

It was super easy to change my name. FIRST STEP...you have to go to Social Security Administration to change you name with them FIRST. I bought my application, forms of id, and marriage cert, and it was easy. The person processes the change on the spot, you get a receipt for the change, then in 1-2 weeks you receive your updated social security card. Once you have your updated SS card, then you can get it updated everywhere. What ever is on your SS card, is your official name. Hope this helps! I was actually shocked to find how easy that whole process was.

Your marraige license does have your new name on it. It is your husbands name. Also, the ID you bring will have your current name that you are going to use as your middle name. That should surfice.

I didn't have to wait for the marraige license. I used the copy we received when we were married. Social Security excepted it without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by benisa View Post
    We were married on 3/10/12 and received our certificate via UPS on 05/07/12. BTW, the certificate is forwarded from Couples stateside offices in Florida and the package required a signature. We could've had ours on Friday the 4th when the first delivery attempt was made but no one was home to sign for it.

Now that we have our marriage certificate, I'm looking into what steps I need to take in order to get my name changed. The thing is that my plan was to use my last name as a middle name, since I don't have a middle name, and then use DH's name as my new surname. Since the marriage certificate doesn't show what your new name will be, will I have a problem changing my name in the manner in which I stated (First name, Maiden name as middle name, His Last Name)? My fear is that I will be told by the different government agencies that since the certificate does not specify the name change I want, it assumes the only choice for a name change is My First Name His Last Name.

Has anyone done something similar to what I want using a Jamaican marriage certificate? Could you share your experience?

Any help/advice will be appreciated. I know I'll be able to find out first hand soon enough but I thought I'd ask before going just so I have some idea of what to expect. The Ohio BMV is very picky about making sure your name matches exactly on every piece of document you submit to them for proof of identity which is why I'm a bit nervous about starting the process. I know I'll have to sooner than later but I'm almost dreading it!

Thanks!
    We were married on 3/22/12 at CTI and I still haven't got our marriage certificate. Should I be worried? After reading your email weeks ago, I figured I'd get ours 2 weeks after yours. Next week will be 3 months from when we got married! I am concerned..

Hmm. You may want to check into that MissouriCouple! I was married at CSA on 3/14 and have had my license since about the same time Benisa got hers.
    http://tinypic.com/a/19if6/3 - pix from CSA 8/18-8/25