Default Gifts for Staff--

---and maybe we can get some corporate input on this;

We are not supposed to tip staff and I love Randy's analogy relating to the theater, as in that the servers and entertainment staff would reap the rewards. So that being said, many bring gifts--hats, lotions, candies and school supplies, for staff. In my mind, though, I am thinking, "if I leave that lotion for our housekeeper, is it the same one we have had all week, or is it the floater who covers days off for staff". The same can be said for turn down service, mini bar service etc. The teacher part of me who has received lots of lotion and candy as gifts, I wonder, "just how much candy and lotion can one person use or how many hats can one person wear?" Yes, I realize they can share with family and I am sure they do. So this is where my idea comes into play.

What about if we could purchase gift cards through the resort gift shop to give to the manager for them to use as rewards for the staff? I am not sure if I purchased a GC stateside if it could be used in JA. I know that in the past the resorts have had staff appreciation dinners, picnics or other such events and they could use these as prizes. At CTI, they used to and may still have staff of the month. Again another opportunity to use the GC as rewards. This way, staff could use the cards to purchase things they really need for their families, like insanely priced gallon of milk or whatever else they would like.

Is this possible, not sure. But it sure would be nice. JMO though. Any other thoughts on this?
    Vicky

I wondered the same thing. Not to mention gift cards don't take up anyroom in your suite case.

Randy,

I'm still wondering if this is possible. Can we get input please?
    Vicky

Vickyj and all:

Gift card are still considered as cash, so no. Sorry.

Couples Resorts

Even if we leave them with the manager for special events, employee of the month, employee appreciation days, etc?
    Vicky

Randy:
    I'll be there in TWO weeks.. YAY, us! Ok- I really want to do something special for the staff. Here are my questions:
    1) How many people should I plan for?
    2) What are the most appreciated items? School supplies? Candy?
    3) Is it true that you can barter with local sales people w/ jeans & clothes from the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    Even if we leave them with the manager for special events, employee of the month, employee appreciation days, etc?
    Vicky, maybe once you're there, get to know them and ask about items they need and purchase them from the gift shop and leave a gift for them. Will that work Randy?

Quote Originally Posted by r&cford View Post
    Vicky, maybe once you're there, get to know them and ask about items they need and purchase them from the gift shop and leave a gift for them. Will that work Randy?
    This will be our 6th trip, so we know many of the staff and their situations. Just looking for a way to give back to everyone.
    Vicky

Just a suggestion, maybe donate to the Issa trust foundation that Couples resorts helps. The money would go to people that really need help. I know, we all appreciate what the staff does for us but remembering their names and mentioning them in the comment card at the end of your stay works better.
    Issa Trust helps with medical and dental services and much more I'm sure. They will ask for toothpaste and toothbrushes from time to time and of course money goes a long way. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture but it's just my 2 cents.

I do agree though that school supplies are greatly needed and a wonderful idea!

We do the Issa Foundation and we bring school supplies. In the past they have had staff appreciation days and friends assisted in the arrangements and collected gift cards from us stateside friends. I haven't been approached about this since then, so just giving a suggestion. I know the staff, I use their name, I write it on the comment cards--this is our 6th trip to CTI and 9 to Jamaica or is it 10th, doesn't matter.
    Vicky

A great charity all lovers of kids might also want to look into is One Love 4 Kids and Lamar's Chair. You can find them on facebook. They help kids with special needs get wheelchairs and supplies.

As repeaters we are all eligible for certain "resort credits". While we were there in November, I had an idea.....what if we were allowed to sign over our resort credits to the Issa Foundation? I know that we had $500 in credits last visit and we were scrambling to spend them at the end of our vacation. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have signed over what we didn't use? What do you think, Randymon? Is this possible? Or would it become an accounting nightmare?

I too appreciate all the staff and what they do, but I think people are getting carried away. I've brought stuff too for some staff and school supplies, but on my own. I like the idea of a no tipping resort. The way people are carring on it is almost as if this resort will end up being a tipping resort only in a differant sort of way. I understand that it is a no tipping resort and the staff participate in profit sharing. I wish people would remember that and stop worrying so much about what and how much to bring. I appreciate not having to worry about that and knowing that what my trip costs is what my trip costs. What I bring down extra is what each and everyone of us feels like bringing at the time. Lets not get carried away.
    Respect.
    Thank you Couples for keeping it a no tipping resort.
    Karin

Thanks Karin for posting this. I was getting a little worried. One of the reasons we chose Couples was the no tipping/all inclusive part, but lately I've been getting a little nervous about only leaving a small chocolate on my pillow or for our wait staff .... we have very LITTLE $, this will be a once in a lifetime trip for us, I have literally been saving for 15 years for this special trip and am still using the "love away" plan ... I appreciate the reassurance
    Quote Originally Posted by karinjim View Post
    I too appreciate all the staff and what they do, but I think people are getting carried away. I've brought stuff too for some staff and school supplies, but on my own. I like the idea of a no tipping resort. The way people are carring on it is almost as if this resort will end up being a tipping resort only in a differant sort of way. I understand that it is a no tipping resort and the staff participate in profit sharing. I wish people would remember that and stop worrying so much about what and how much to bring. I appreciate not having to worry about that and knowing that what my trip costs is what my trip costs. What I bring down extra is what each and everyone of us feels like bringing at the time. Lets not get carried away.
    Respect.
    Thank you Couples for keeping it a no tipping resort.
    Karin