Thread: Camo shorts ok?

Default Camo shorts ok?

Hi all!
    My fiance wants to buy a new pair of camo cargo shorts to wear in Jamaica. I've heard that it is a bad idea to wear camo outside of the US and that it's even illegal in some places. Anyone worn camo to Jamaica?

You're fine, I have two camo swimsuits I wore and my hubby wore his camo shorts for our travel clothes, and he also has a pair of camo swimtrunks he wore all week. No worries.... this has been so overblown. The law is not to impersonate a law enforcement officer, as in a police uniform. It doesn't mean not to wear camo clothes, swimsuits or shorts.... shoot I even bought a pair of camo flip flops at the resort!

Just got back from CSA and my husband wore camo shorts with no issues.

Hi Brynn
    Can you describe camo cargo shorts please - we're from the UK and haven't come across these - a photo would be great! Always like to to keep up to date with the latest look!!

Mad about tennis

Name:  camo cargo shorts.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  8.5 KB

For the poster that wanted a photo.
    Vicky

They'll be fine although nobody will be able to see him, being in disguise and all.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLoveEnergy View Post
    They'll be fine although nobody will be able to see him, being in disguise and all.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

As the other posters have noted, it's generally ok in Jamaica (especially if you stay on the resort).

It is illegal to wear camo that resembles the style worn by the Jamaican police.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...flage-clothing

This gives a picture of what the police style looks like (and if you're just wearing shorts, you're cool!)

http://www.deceptology.com/2010/07/n...maica-mon.html

It's a legit question though. Some caribbean nations (Barbados and T&T comes to mind) do prohibit civilians from wearing any camo gear. In some places, it's not just because you might look like you belong to the police or military, but because such clothing is favored by "the bad guys" (rebels, drug runners, etc.)

my husband wore camo alot in jamaica. no problems. now when we went to st lucia on the other hand.... had to strip down and change out of camo shorts right in the airport. who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by jagorham View Post
    It is illegal to wear camo that resembles the style worn by the Jamaican police.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...flage-clothing
    This article refers to St Lucia not Jamaica. Prime Minister Stephenson King is the Prime Minister of St. Lucia. The article in the second link also got this wrong.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Oddly, in 2010 when flying from the UK with Virgin on our way to Tower Island, I was asked to change my trousers if I wanted to check-in and board the flight!

I was told cargo trousers (as we call them in UK) were against the companies dress code and I'd get hassled in Jamaica as people would think I was in Arrmy.

Well.....no hassle although to be fair I only wore them in the resort and I searched the airlines web site for a dress code policy which appears not to exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hezza1972 View Post
    ... cargo trousers (as we call them in UK) ...
    Those shown are also considered cargo shorts in the US. The "Camo" part refers to the camouflage pattern on them.

For example from the Cambridge Dictionary:
    the use of leaves, branches, paints and clothes for hiding soldiers or military equipment so that they look part of what surrounds thema camouflage jacket

In US, we seem to usually shorten words. I guess were lazy, just kidding.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013