Default CSS SSB Experience

We recently returned from CSS and spent some time at SSB while we were there. Most of the experiences were positive, but a few things bothered us. On the first day, we went the the recliners on the beach. Everything was fine until I looked up and saw a half a dozen children (mostly pre-teens) crossing the river and marching onto the beach. We quickly dressed and left. Apparently, they are allowed to traverse the entire beach as long as they stay close to the river. We later saw some adult fishermen doing the same thing. They would walk onto the beach and just stand there and stare. This made us both uncomfortable. We spent most of our time at the SSB pool. In our opinion, there were far too many "workmen" in the area, and this again made us both uncomfortable. Some were working, but others were just hanging out. Perhaps the "break areas" could be moved to another location. In a 90 minute period of time, I counted 17 different employees walking around and hanging out in the pool area. Most of them were not performing any obvious task. Overall, we had wonderful experiences at CSS and at SSB, but these issues probably need to be addressed.

Default Breaks at SSB

Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    In a 90 minute period of time, I counted 17 different employees walking around and hanging out in the pool area. Most of them were not performing any obvious task.
    Our last visit this past Oct we experience the same issue with multiple staff members using this area as a break room. Although this did not bother me in the least many of our group were bothered. Pierre was notified and was never an issue again during our trip. This should never be an issue at SSB and should be closely monitored by management. Shame security would fuss over a camera in the ocean when nobody was in the area but they cannot monitor there own peeping tom's.

I can see how that would be uncomfortable for you. The locals crossing the river, not much can be done probably unless they loiter. However, the staff members loitering and gawking is surprising. Did you address it with anyone while you were there?

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

In my experience the guard will say something to them if they are standing on the beach after crossing the river. I believe that the water line is still public (by Jamaican law) and the jungle property to the left of the beach is private property so sometimes people are walking over there.

In our trips there have always been a few kids that get adventuresome and walk over to the sandbar in the river. Some years that is far away and some years it is close. If they get too close the guard will yell at them. It is kind of like kids at home sneaking a peak at the naked people in the National Geographic magazine. These kids are sneaking a peak at the naked people on the beach. I usually wave at them if they get close and then they run away.

It is always worse on Sat and Sun when school is out. There are often large parties of locals at the hotel/park on the other side of the White River.

Don't worry about them. They are harmless. If they are Couples employees, a word to Pierre is very effective in our experience.

My other piece of advice is if you are getting uncomfortable, head up to the pool. Jump in and head up to the swim up bar. You are pretty much out of everyone on the beach's view at that point.

Enjoy the sun on your skin.
    20 days til SSB

John

The kids crossing the river is why we prefer CTI and the island to SSB. We only visited, but didn't have issues with staff "hanging out" (no pun intended). The fishermen crossing didn't bother us as they kept moving. What bothered us were the children on the beach across the river.
    Vicky

Default Kids on the an beach? This is a deal breaker for me

Oh my. I know that school is out June 21. Will or has this been a problem on SSB? I saw some little ones last year but they did not come up onto the SSB beach. They were over on the other side of the little bay there by the docks. There has occasionally been fishermen stop by, but no one loitering or staring. My husband would be very embarassed about children seeing him au natural and will not go to SSB if there are children present. We went last year before school got out. We may not be at SSB this year if we both feel uncomfortable especially if there are children within 20 feet of us.

We were at SSB in early May and a Sandals tour boat loaded with guests stopped just off the shore for a few minutes. If you look off to the left there is a public beach a rock throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfeathr View Post
    Oh my. I know that school is out June 21. Will or has this been a problem on SSB? I saw some little ones last year but they did not come up onto the SSB beach. They were over on the other side of the little bay there by the docks. There has occasionally been fishermen stop by, but no one loitering or staring. My husband would be very embarassed about children seeing him au natural and will not go to SSB if there are children present. We went last year before school got out. We may not be at SSB this year if we both feel uncomfortable especially if there are children within 20 feet of us.
    Do not worry about the children. In the last five years they have never run up on the beach and been 20 feet from the people. This issue seems to be getting a little blown out of proportion. There is nothing to worry about. And as John says, you guys can always join us at the pool and swim up bar.

Looking at Google maps images taken earlier this year, it appears that the beach has grown out a bunch and is much deeper like it used to be before the storm came and moved the direction of the river. The last few years have had the beach muck smaller than it previously was. Mother Nature seems to have fixed that for us this year. Yea! 19 days and counting.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    Do not worry about the children. In the last five years they have never run up on the beach and been 20 feet from the people. This issue seems to be getting a little blown out of proportion. There is nothing to worry about. And as John says, you guys can always join us at the pool and swim up bar.

Looking at Google maps images taken earlier this year, it appears that the beach has grown out a bunch and is much deeper like it used to be before the storm came and moved the direction of the river. The last few years have had the beach muck smaller than it previously was. Mother Nature seems to have fixed that for us this year. Yea! 19 days and counting.
    Beach looks different than last year. I did not realize that the beach changes so much in one year's time. Of course we are from Iowa so what do I know about beaches. We only have 20 sleeps left before we hit SSB and after we get use to being au natral again we would love to join you beach bums for a round or two at the swim up bar. You will know who we are because my husband will be the palest guy on the beach and I have tan lines so bad that I look like I am wearing a white bikini. Now where did I put that waterbabies sunscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfeathr View Post
    You will know who we are because my husband will be the palest guy on the beach and I have tan lines so bad that I look like I am wearing a white bikini.
    That can happen to us programmers!
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

When it comes to these various type of situations, there are going to be the ones that the resort can control and there are going to be that ones that they can't. For the most part, security does a good job of policing the loiterers and the non-nude guests. But security is limited in their powers and cannot totally control all the gawkers. And, in some form or another, all the AN areas do have gawkers, which may include children. Futhermore, in this day and age of high-powered zoom lenses, everyone also runs a risk of having their picture taken.

So the reality is that you cannot expect the resort to make everything perfect. What it comes down to is that the decision is yours to live with those risks and "imperfections" or <gasp> put on swimsuits and go to the main beach.

The first year we went to SSB the boat from S seemed to stop off shore almost everyday. After a couple of days, my husband decided to give them something to stop for. He stepped up on the stump, turned his backside to them, and bent over. They got a really good shot of the moon. We didn't see them much the rest of the week.
    Linda

I have been to SSB three times and I would like to say a few things. First the kids and the fisherman have always been around but tended to ignore us. Fisherman are making their way to the fish. The don't even slow down.

When the kids come over, which isn't common, they go across the beach to the far side and fish or swim. Given their ages I don't think a bunch a nude middle age people have much interest to them.

However the Sandals boat has come over twice and that really bugs me, not that Couples can do anything about it but it is just wrong. The purpose of those people are to spy on a nude beach. You can see them coming a long ways off so we would just hide behind the bar. The first time it happened a guest organized us and we all put on towels then mooned them. They left after that.

For me it speaks volumes about Sandals that there resorts are so lame that they have a tour to spy on Couples. I would love to meet these people and ask them really is the best thing you can do on your vacation. Really?

Oh about the beach size. Two years ago that brought in a front loader to move the sand from SSB to the main beach. In Jamaica it is illegal to bring sand in to y0ur property or remove it. However they can move from beach to beach. We were told the main beach loses sand every year and SSB gains sand so it is a rob Peter to pay Paul situation. And no the front loader operator didn't pay attention to the nude people either!

We were at SSB in March and the fishermen did not pay much attention to the nude sunbathers...my impression was that they were used to it and it was no big deal.

We did not see many kids on the sandbar.

The Sandals boats cruise by all the resorts that have nude beaches...annoying, but don't really think you can do much about it.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

At couples negril on a boat we cruised past Hedo..as well as all the other hotels that were over there..maybe they are just cruising by ..the fishermen could give a flying you-know what..and those guys on the rafts want to take you and your cash on a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by chacy View Post
    At couples negril on a boat we cruised past Hedo..as well as all the other hotels that were over there..maybe they are just cruising by ..the fishermen could give a flying you-know what..and those guys on the rafts want to take you and your cash on a cruise.
    They are not just cruising by. They come into the cove-ish area in front of SSB and just sort of park there until someone makes a scene and then they speed off. Very childish of them.
    Last edited by Jeffmon; June 19th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

I agree about the Sandals boat. When you are in the water on your floatie, and they cruse up almost beside you, its very annoying. Can't believe a reputable company like Sandals would act that way.

Quote Originally Posted by chacy View Post
    At couples negril on a boat we cruised past Hedo..as well as all the other hotels that were over there..maybe they are just cruising by
    It is funny how the crews of these boats always seem to cut the engines as they cruise (drift ?) past the nude beach at Hedo.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

The passengers on the boat that does the "cruise by" at SSB is filled with people that WISH THEY WERE THERE ON SSB with the rest of us. Be sure to wave and say hello.... knowing full well they want to join us!!!!!

When we were at CSS last May we went on the snorkeling trip that took us over by that Sandals resort near SSB. On the way back we rode along the shore line and my husband and I were taking pictures of Sandals and the other resorts and commenting on how bad they looked compared to CSS, lol. Well, we came up on this one beach and we were like, wow this one looks really really nice!!! Then the boat driver slowed down and pulled up close to shore to yell something to a guy fishing there and we looked closer and saw a very naked booty on a lounge chair and and were like OMG it's our Au Naturel beach! Guess our captain was guilty of cruising too... at his own resort, lol. Just so you know, I stopped taking pictures when I figured out what I was looking at... I didn't want to invade anyones privacy!

Quote Originally Posted by lindad View Post
    the first year we went to ssb the boat from s seemed to stop off shore almost everyday. After a couple of days, my husband decided to give them something to stop for. He stepped up on the stump, turned his backside to them, and bent over. They got a really good shot of the moon. We didn't see them much the rest of the week.
    hahahahha

We were just at SSB last week (wah I miss it already!) and there were no problems with kids or gawking fisherman. I was a bit worried about it, as I read THIS thread before we went, but nada! I don't know but the public beech seemed much further away than I imagined. THe sandals boat did stop out really close one day, and I pointed it out to my husband. How petty-they wish they could be like us!
    There was some issue with standing water/tide pool area by the river and the managment came in wednesday I think and said they were going to be fixing it and Saturday there was a bulldozer moving sand early.

Calypso, we experienced the same thing after our Snorkeling trip to Dickey's Reef. It was early and the AN beach wasn't crowded. But I felt uncomfortable for the people on the beach and turned to look out in the ocean. One crew member also pointed out the "chill bumps" when one of the women on the boat took off her life jacket. I thought that added to the tackiness of the boat crew.
    Last edited by alb74; July 23rd, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

We've been to CSS 4 or 5 times now, and I have to say, I am the shyest of the shy when it comes to nudity, but the fisherman and the children have never bugged me. Admittedly, I never saw either group come on shore, but the fisherman always seem to be too busy working their asses off getting those boats over the sandbar to care. And I only saw the kids across the river . They never seemed interested either. I just always assume they live around the area, and are used to it, and dont care.

The "workman" situation kind of cracks me up, because in the past I noticed a lot of the watersports staff hanging around, but I really think its because SSB is so remote compared to the rest of the resort, that they can kind of hang around and goof off a little, without getting in trouble. Possibly the same with the workmen?

The Sandals boat is just stupid. Get a life.