Default Looking at Couples for Honeymoon. What is the best value Couple's resort?

My Fiance and I don't have a ton of money, but we do want a nice honeymoon at an AI, and the Couples resorts seem to get the least terrible reviews on Trip Advisor, so we are looking to go to one of them, possibly Tower Isle. Any recommendations? Think I should look out for? Have to say I think it is great that these boards exist and that the people who go to Couples resorts seem to make the vacation great as much as the resort itself!

We don't have a lot either. Saying that I always budget (at the moment it is 3500 to include EVERYTHING) I think if you are leaning towards CTI then it appears that is the one calling you! We personally LOVE CSS. It is the epitome of beauty. It is as social as you want or not. If you want a beach though CN or CSA would be the way to go. The beaches in Ochi are pretty much man made, not that it matters to us, we still think it is perfect!

Now the budget- You get a lot for your money at couples. Transport, sports, and excursions, which some resorts are doing away with. We always get a beachfront suite, so that costs a little bit more. This also includes tip money for the airport and driver. Spa masseuse as well. If I know what everything on the resort will cost I know exactly what my plane fare needs to be. Also book when you can get resort credits, they are awesome!.
    Also CTI has room service which is a big bonus for us. We love to order a pot of tea, milk and cookies and a cheese plate at night. Also there is food 24 hours available plus a mini bar which is stocked with what you want.

When you get to Jamaica, you need to take a deep breath and relax! We run so hard all year it takes us a few days to decompress. Remember if you are nice and respectful, you WILL get that in return.
    Everything will not be perfection but in a day the little things that irk you won't matter. Jamaica is not glitzy, but it is fabulous!!! Saying that statement what I am trying to say is-you may not get the exact time you want for dinner reservations or your room may not be as spotless as you want, BUT dinner will be as as great if you go an hour later and your room will be clean! I think that people who go to Couples are the type of people who know how relax and let go of the turmoil. I

I am keki60 on tripadvisor and here and you can read my reviews on there. You can search me out.

Welcome to the Couples Family!

Kelly

We choose CSS for our 10th anniversay trip in April for several reasons....1) I liked how all the buildings are spread out and doesn't give the "hotel" kind of feel. 2) it included just about everything you can imagine! 3) staff is the best! 4) it's a great deal! (we paid 2600 US for both of us)

Once you decide when you want to travel for your honeymoon, just check the prices and go for the lowest price. Or.....you can do the Secret Rendevous Booking and you book at a cheap rate and then get surprised what resort you will go to.

Honestly, any of them you guys will love, so just go for the least expensive option. Great choice in resorts. Couples has the AI thing down perfect. Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

You might consider the secret rendezvous. We found this deal for our first trip to couples and it started an addiction. We are taking our fourth trip in 54 days and the fifth trip is already booked. We went to TI and we adored it there. Cant wait to go home.

Lindsey,

Like you when I first started researching AI, I too was looking for the "least terrible" as I have heard that the food is bad, serve swill liquor, have run-down facilities, etc. As soon as I arrived to CTI, I knew that there was nothing "terrible" about it at all! Same goes for CN. I think you will find that you are pleasantly surprised at everything about the Couples resorts!

As far as value is concerned, I think you can't go wrong with any of the Couples resorts. We preferred CTI to CN, but that was just our personal opinion! My suggestion would be go to the one that speaks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    My Fiance and I don't have a ton of money, but we do want a nice honeymoon at an AI, and the Couples resorts seem to get the least terrible reviews on Trip Advisor, so we are looking to go to one of them, possibly Tower Isle. Any recommendations? Think I should look out for? Have to say I think it is great that these boards exist and that the people who go to Couples resorts seem to make the vacation great as much as the resort itself!
    Lindsey,

You can't go wrong with any of the Couples resorts. Just pick the one that appeals to you the most. We first visited Couples in 2006 when looking for a special place to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We feel in love with the resorts and the people of Jamaica. Once you step into the Couples lounge at the airport, they take care of everything. It's the most relaxing vacation we've ever had...absolutely WONDERFUL!!! We've been back to Couples every year since and have stayed at CTI, CN and CSA. We've booked CSS for this October. Go and Enjoy!!!!
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

CTI is generally the least expensive resort out of the 4. That being said, It is our least favorite. Its still good but we feel its not as good as CSS which is generally the next least expensive. CN and CSA are tied as our most favorite. The truth of the matter is, you will love them all so if price is the main issue, then pick CTI and have fun. Also, stay as long as you possibly can. The time just flies by and you will be leaving before you know it. That goodbye bus is pretty painful to some people.

We are at a point in our lives where money really isn't too much of an issue. We will ALWAYS choose Couples when going to Jamaica and looking for that special place. We were at CTI last August and LOVED every second of it!!

We are heading to CN and CSA this August and have CN booked for August 2013 but will probably add some more nights to CTI for 2013. For us the perfect resort would be CTI on the beach of CN!

You didn't say when you will be getting married. The BEST pricing is the early bird specials that come out in February(ish) for the next year. We booked August 2013 in February 2012. Then they will offer the Wednesday specials every week along with the Love Away Plan where $100.00 will save the dates and $100.00 a month.

Any Couples will be wonderful!

It is really very very true that everything is included in the price. You do not have to worry about spending another dime at the resort and you will be well taken care of. If you are beach people, choose CN or CSA. If not, pick one of the other two.This is a win win win win situation. It is true that you should go to the one that calls you. We love a beautiful pool/bar area and the beach so CN is our favorite.

I always do extensive research before I book our Caribbean trips, always looking for the best value. Couples is by far the best value trip that you will find, so you are on the right track. Now, in regard to which actual Couples resort is the best value, I do my due diligence year after year. I personally know and have spoken to several people that have been to at least 3, if not all 4, and the reviews are usually the same.

This is not a negative take on any of the resorts, but more of an inventory of features or lack thereof. All of the Couples Resorts are still Couples, so a lot of the best parts are the same: INCLUDED Airport Lounge, airport transfers, welcome drink and easy check-in upon arrival, luggage shuttled to room, no tipping, amazing food, top-shelf drinks, watersports (including scuba, snorkel, glass bottom boat), nice pools and pool bars, entertainment, sports/workout facilities, unlimited green fees for golf (there are other costs associated, though), internet cafes, some off-resort excursions, in-room mini-bars, etc, etc, etc.

Some of the pros and cons for specific resorts that I've been heard over the years:

CTI is the least expensive, but for a reason. Usually not the most calm sea for watersports, which is just one of the risks on the northeast side of Jamaica and most other Caribbean islands for that matter. The resort is a little more hotel-like, there is no Cat Cruise, and the island is only available for AN or weddings. Off-resort tours included are to Dunn's River Falls, Downtown Ocho Rios and Margaritaville. There is no beach to walk up off-resort at CTI.

CSS is the 2nd least expensive, but supposed to be the nicest resort from a scenery perspective, very lush, very cool. One drawback I've heard is that you are always walking up and down steps. Also, similar reviews about the sea as CTI, because of the location on the island, but this can be hit or miss. Both CSS and CTI have more red flag days on the water than the other 2 resorts, which means cancellation of scuba and snorkel. CSS also has a very nice, private AN beach. There is no beach to walk up off-resort at CSS.

CN is the 2nd to most expensive. CN is more compact and not as lush as CSS, but is super easy to get around and the most centralized for restaurants, bars, and activities. It sits on the most protected water of the 4 resorts, in Bloody Bay. The Negril beaches are the best in Jamaica and are powdery soft. CN does not have a Dunn's tour or anything close, but they do offer the Cat Cruise and the Sunset Bar Shuttle. The water is the most reliable for watersports at CN. CN does have an AN beach, but it is the least private of all the resorts. I have also heard that CN, of the 4, has the most consistently friendly and reliable staff, which seems to have been an issue at a few of the other resorts recently. While not as extensive as the CSA beach, there is almost 2 miles of beach to walk off-resort at CN. The famed Office of Nature is right up the beach from CN. Some people don't like the fact that locals and people from other resorts ocasionally pass by on the beach, but the majority of guests are not bothered by this.

CSA, the most expensive of the four, is the largest, especially when you throw in the huge sports complex. Very spread out, which some feel is a drawback and some like. There aren't centralized activities, like at CN, because of the layout of the resort. For the most part, CSA shares the same beach and sea quality as CN. But at CSA, there is approx 4 1/2 miles of beach off resort and you can walk to actual bars and restaurants, which you can't do at any of the other 3. If you are really going to use all of the sports facilities and spa at CSA, that's also a huge plus, but I have personally found that it takes a special kind of person to play tennis across the street from a beach when it's 90 degrees outside with 100% humidity. Another point to make,which I often hear mixed emotions about is the lack of TVs in some of the rooms. Some people don't care, some really don't like it, but that is a personal preference. CSA has no AN section, which is a deal-killer for some, but not our cup o tea. CSA does have Seagrape Cafe, which gets rave reviews. CSA also has some locals and people from other resorts that can walk up and down the beach, but this, again, is not an issue for the majority of guests.

Some people may chime in and say I "missed this" or am "wrong about that", but this is just what I've heard over the years. And, since your question is purely about value, this totally hits home, because, even if money wasn't an object to me, I'm a financial advisor, so it's always an object. We have been to several places throughout the Caribbean, and when I calculate the actual value of what you get versus what you spend, Couples always comes out on top and, for my wife and I, we look at CN as the best value of the 4. You get the best of all worlds, awesome food selection, the best beach, awesome staff, cat cruise, calm waters (value of watersports), easy to get around (value of time!), and a little bit cheaper than CSA. We always bring around $250 cash and have never even come close to running out of money.

Margi and 5moremins for make a great point though, the cheapest possible way to book a trip to Couples is through the Secret Rendezvous, but you won't find out where you're going til a couple weeks ahead of time. You can still book your flight and stuff in advance though, because they all fly into MBJ.

Good luck and enjoy! I'm sure whatever you pick, you will have the most amazing vacation you have ever had.

Dank120,

GREAT summation of the four resorts!!! We've traveled to three of the four couples resorts and I couldn't have said it any better. We also love CN (it's our favorite) the layout, the beach and the staff are reason's we keep returning. We're going to try CSS this fall, but I know that we'll return to CN next time.

With that said, I believe someone traveling for the first time will love whichever resort they decided to book. Best of luck to Lindsey on her honeymoon search
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

Another good value along with the Secret Rendevous is the weekly Wednesday Special. If you were to figure in all the items per day of what you use/do at Couples, you would feel like you spent your money wisely. Also, look at the time of year you plan to go.