Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSB Bartender

Default SSB Bartender

Will be home at CTI in 4 days for a 10 day stay. Hoping to get over to CSS and spend a day at SSB.
    Has anyone been recently? Is Jheanel still bartending at SSB? Do you know what days?
    She is very special.

Thanks,
    Mi love fi binaked inna Jamaica
    (Patois for: I Love To Be Naked in Jamaica / At the island or SSB Mon!)

Jheanel has told me that she is working at Palazzina for breakfast and lunch now days. We'll be there in 9 days.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

We want to know too???

JamAmericans - Yes, we agree with you, Jheanel is a very special person! When we were there in April, she was working at the bar inside at Palazzina at breakfast and lunch (personally, we think that is such a waste of that girl's talents - in our opinion, she is the best choice for the bar at SSB!!). If you see her, please tell her that Karen and Paul from Canada say "hi", and give her a big hug for us!!
    (Karen&Paul)

I agree, Jheanel is great. Say hi to her from Linda & Rooster too please. Tell here we'll see her in December if all goes well.
    Linda

Thanks all. Very sorry she was moved from SSB. She was an excellent fit.
    Not sure what prompted Couples to put a new bartender virtually every day on the island and SSB. It just does not create the same vibe as the old days. Or the same service levels. Used to know what you liked to drink, have anything special each day you like, etc. Not possible with a change every day.
    They need to bring Damion back to the island and Jheanel to SSB.. Couples makes very few mistakes. This is one of them.
    Both were just the perfict fit for the job!
    Mi love fi binaked inna Jamaica
    (Patois for: I Love To Be Naked in Jamaica / At the island or SSB Mon!)

Veronique was there in March and she was lovely!!!

Hey Guys
    Just back from SSB. Jheanel is doing great. She is working the AM shift at the Palazzina. She is going to have a baby and is about 3 months along...This is the reason for the move... Swing by and see her, she will be as happy as heck to see ya all, and misses us all at SSB.

We had Gloria most of the week at SSB. She said she will be new regular bartender there...! and boy you all are in for a treat!!! She has LOTS of energy, and has a fired up personality...She fits in extremely well...A great choice by management....!

Jeff and Susan
    CSS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,
    2011, 2012, 2013
    CTI: 2009
    CN: 2011

bigwillie,
    Thanks for the Jheanel update and the info on Gloria! Can't wait to say hello in 15 days!!!

suzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
    Hey Guys
    Just back from SSB. Jheanel is doing great. She is working the AM shift at the Palazzina. She is going to have a baby and is about 3 months along...This is the reason for the move... Swing by and see her, she will be as happy as heck to see ya all, and misses us all at SSB.

We had Gloria most of the week at SSB. She said she will be new regular bartender there...! and boy you all are in for a treat!!! She has LOTS of energy, and has a fired up personality...She fits in extremely well...A great choice by management....!
    You are right Gloria has lots of energy and a very loud voice!

I was not fond of her, to say the least, as every single one of my drink orders was forgotten about and had to be asked for again. Yes, every single one, no joke here! This wasn't just happening to me. It was like you would order and she would take a step and just forget. She always had some excuse. When she finally did get me my drink it was almost straight rum. Totally undrinkable. We loved the days, Saturday & Sunday, that she was off and we had another bartender.

Rumor has it that she came from the "H" resort as did the new bar manager and that they used to work together and that was how she got moved permanently over there. It was obvious to us that she was trying very hard to make SSB a total party atmosphere from the moment the bar opens until it closes. At one point she told everyone that they couldn't get a drink until they did a shot first, and this was at 10 AM.

I don't know about everyone else but I chose CSS as a vacation spot so that I could relax and not feel like I was back in college on spring break. Now, don't get me wrong, I do like to live it up a little on vacation but not feel forced to party all day. As for the bar manager, I heard that she is really trying to cut costs by limiting the amount of supplies that she stocks the bars with. There was one day that the resort was out of red stripe, every bar. And another day that there was no coconut rum. Running out of bananas was a daily occurance at the bar and with Gloria making drinks too strong to drink just added to the wasted alcohol.

Ok, I am done ranting, but I just wanted people to know about our experience with Gloria. And yes, it went on the comment card along with a page long write up to accompany it.
    Last edited by Jeffmon; July 18th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    bigwillie,
    Thanks for the Jheanel update and the info on Gloria! Can't wait to say hello in 15 days!!!

suzyQ
    Sorry suzyQ but Jheanel is on vacation now for two weeks. She left on the 15th and i think she gets back on the 30th.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Jeffmon, Thanks for the update with your recent experience. We had been to CSS several times after starting off at CN with our Honeymoon and thought there was no place better after 6 times at CN. We then fell in love with CSS, Jheanel and the whole package. That changed with the two last trips there and felt the loving feeling just wasn't there as a whole . I believe CSS has lost its focus of what made it great and needs a complete makeover from the top down. You have confirmed we made the right choice of returning back to CN where the efforts of staff and management is still far better. (Unless I'm mistaken, we met at CSS once where you took a group photo on SSB after security refused to let us do so until after 5 even tho everyone agreed to be in it.)

Quote Originally Posted by John from NJ View Post
    Jeffmon, Thanks for the update with your recent experience. We had been to CSS several times after starting off at CN with our Honeymoon and thought there was no place better after 6 times at CN. We then fell in love with CSS, Jheanel and the whole package. That changed with the two last trips there and felt the loving feeling just wasn't there as a whole . I believe CSS has lost its focus of what made it great and needs a complete makeover from the top down. You have confirmed we made the right choice of returning back to CN where the efforts of staff and management is still far better. (Unless I'm mistaken, we met at CSS once where you took a group photo on SSB after security refused to let us do so until after 5 even tho everyone agreed to be in it.)
    I just wanted to share our experience this year. This was our 5th year to return to CSS and our experience this year with SSB might just make us look elsewhere for our vacation.

Yes, that was last year that we took the group photo and security gave us so much trouble. I don't think I got your email so that I could send you a copy. If you would like a copy then just email me at jeffbrint AT gmail DOT com.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post

I was not fond of her, to say the least, as every single one of my drink orders was forgotten about and had to be asked for again. Yes, every single one, no joke here! This wasn't just happening to me. It was like you would order and she would take a step and just forget. She always had some excuse. When she finally did get me my drink it was almost straight rum. Totally undrinkable. We loved the days, Saturday & Sunday, that she was off and we had another bartender.

Rumor has it that she came from the "H" resort as did the new bar manager and that they used to work together and that was how she got moved permanently over there. It was obvious to us that she was trying very hard to make SSB a total party atmosphere from the moment the bar opens until it closes. At one point she told everyone that they couldn't get a drink until they did a shot first, and this was at 10 AM.

I don't know about everyone else but I chose CSS as a vacation spot so that I could relax and not feel like I was back in college on spring break. Now, don't get me wrong, I do like to live it up a little on vacation but not feel forced to party all day. As for the bar manager, I heard that she is really trying to cut costs by limiting the amount of supplies that she stocks the bars with. There was one day that the resort was out of red stripe, every bar. And another day that there was no coconut rum. Running out of bananas was a daily occurance at the bar and with Gloria making drinks too strong to drink just added to the wasted alcohol.

Ok, I am done ranting, but I just wanted people to know about our experience with Gloria. And yes, it went on the comment card along with a page long write up to accompany it.
    Jeffmon, I have to agree. If what you say is correct, It is not what I am looking for. We like to party some, but we also want to relax. It sounds as if she is there more to party herself, than to work and take care of the guests. The impression I got from what you are saying is if you do not act as she wants, you may not get your drinks. I also don't want my drinks, nor my husbands that strong. I would rather have them a little weaker, and have to ask for more alcohol than have it too strong to begin with, you a can always add, but you can't take back out. Hopefully, things will get better with her.

Also, if anyone has a chance to talk to Jhanelle, please ask her to contact Rooster and Linda at lldeg@frontier.com, or I think she may still have our mailing address, whichever is easier for her. Thanks
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    Also, if anyone has a chance to talk to Jhanelle, please ask her to contact Rooster and Linda at lldeg@frontier.com, or I think she may still have our mailing address, whichever is easier for her. Thanks
    Jheanel is currently on vacation for two weeks but I believe she will be back at the resort on the 30th. You might be able to reach her via Facebook.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Thanks Jeffmon, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll search for her and then message her if I can.
    Linda

Hey Jeffmom
    Wow, sounds like a lot changed in a week. Don’t get me wrong we missed Jheanel terribly and hope she returns to our favorite spot at SSB next year. We had three difference bartenders during the week and were glad to see Gloria with some personality. The other two had no personality but were nice and gave equally good service. We did not experience what you experienced at all. Gloria never missed one of our drinks. Now, she can be easily distracted by shiny objects but I’m use to that being married to Susan. We did give Gloria glowing reviews on our comment card.

Coming three weeks earlier than we normally do, we did know what to expect. Some of the July crowd joined us, and the atmosphere was about the same and the crowd size was also about the same. Never a spring break atmosphere at all but festive. Drinks were good and having four of our six children that have worked as bartenders at some point in their life, we found that all of bartenders make drinks differently. Some good, some bad. Seemed like Gloria was good with the vodka type drinks and not so much with the rum drinks… I’m not a vodka drinker but tasted several from others that were tasty. This year I stuck mostly with beer. We did notice that the Red Stripe Keg went empty every day at some point, but we only waited one day for a little while for some more Yes, bananas were a problem, we never heard why and brought some back from lunch a couple of days to help out with the SSB shortage.

Overall, it was a very relaxing trip this year, and I’d say a lot more than last year. We found that over our 6 trips to CSS/SSB not a one of them have been the same. Never experienced anything bad during previous trips, just some years better than others. I think some of the difference is because of the different personalities and people dynamics change year to year, week to week. It will be interesting to see what Renee and Joel’s impressions are? They arrived on July 24th, I gave Gloria some information that Joel likes Jack, which I am he sure want. Jack was not stocked the week we were there but no one asked for it either.
    I feel like we are in hibernation until next year…Oh yes, next year, what do? We want to get back to July. Jeff

Jeff and Susan
    CSS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,
    2011, 2012, 2013
    CTI: 2009
    CN: 2011

During our recent visit to CSS we found Gloria to be great fun an one of the better bartenders that week. Yes, she did previously work at Hedo, but so what? We all start somewhere. She was engaging, always had a smile on her face, and happily served whatever we wanted. Cannot imagine why she would've forgotten "every single one" of your drinks. Pretty odd, Jeffmon, in light of the fact that she was probably the best bartender there the week we were there.

Veronique and Saskianne were also bartending that week and we found them to be friendly and competent, as well. The only "bartender" we disliked was an older gentleman who was substituting for one of the girls who went home with an upset stomach. He didn't want to be there at all.

I suppose like anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We partied and had a good time with Gloria serving drinks. I wouldn't call it spring break, but we weren't snoozing and listening to Barry Manilow either.

Veronique was the regular bartender at SSB when we were there in March.

Sorry to hear she is not the regular bartender anymore...she did a nice job when we were there.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

. . . As for the bar manager, I heard that she is really trying to cut costs by limiting the amount of supplies that she stocks the bars with. There was one day that the resort was out of red stripe, every bar. And another day that there was no coconut rum. Running out of bananas was a daily occurrence . . .
    We've been to all four of the Couples Resorts for a total of 19 trips, and the only time the resort's liquor stock was questionable was during our lone trip to CSS in August of 2009. They had no single malt scotch and no premium gin or vodka. Sounds like this isn't a new problem. I wonder why this seems to be a persistent issue for CSS but not the other three resorts.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We returned from CSS and SSB on July 28th. We had a fabulous time with Gloria, and had no complaints regarding the loudness of her voice or the drinks she prepared for us! Jeffmon, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. If the stars align, we hope to go back to CSS in December!

One Love,
    suzyQ

We're at CSS right now & Saskieann (sp?) is the bartender on the AN side (this week at least). She's been great !! And, Veronique & Easton have been filling in for her breaks/days off. We see Jheanel at breakfast every morning (at the smoothie bar). She said Gloria is not over at the AN side anymore (not sure if she's still at CSS or not).

After speaking with some of the upper staff, I was told that the problem with Gloria had been rectified.
    Last edited by Jeffmon; August 6th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

I hope what Jeff says is true (about things being rectified)
    Our experience was similar to his
    She was the worst bartender we had ever seen!

She had a good personality if what you wanted was her talking
    But mostly I wanted my drink order filled
    But I waited a long time for every drink. 10 minutes on average
    She would just leave the bar for extended periods of time (40 minutes was the longest)
    She did not know anyones drink
    A good bartender knows what everyone around the bar is having and keeps it coming
    That is pretty easy with beer. By e end of the week, I could tell you what most everyone in the pool was drinking.
    I didn't see her spontaneously refill anyone's drink in the 10 days we were at SSB

Don't get me wrong we were there with all our old friends and made several new friends
    (Hey there Tom & Suzy and Jason & Kim if you are lurking) but Gloria was irritating at SSB

Like Jeffmon said I put it on my comment card
    Hopefully things will change

Hey Jed!
    Great to hear from you on the MB!!!! Wow what a difference a week makes! Gloria was loads of fun with us, she made up a special drink for me that I dubbed the Glorious Special! It was delish, and she kept them coming! From what I could tell at SSB when she was there, everyone was having a great time! Given your and Jeffmon's explanations, I now understand for the latter portion of our vacation, Gloria was not our bartender at SSB.

Be Well!!!!
    suzyQ (Suzzette)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast