Thread: Wedding license

Default Wedding license

We got married April 28 2012. Still haven't gotten original marriage lic. I thought they said about six wks. Did anybody's take longer ?

We got married March 17, 2012 and still haven't received ours. They said it takes 12-16 weeks. I'm trying to be patient as we go into our 15th week waiting.

I heard 14-16 weeks, and it says that on the website. Seems quite long to me.
    with the "certificate" they gave me i was able to change my name with social security but not with my drivers license UHGGGG which is kind of a headache because for my wedding we got checks for mr. and mrs. and i can't cash them because my name isnt changed on my drivers license, and the bank refuses to work with us until it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by salemk View Post
    We got married April 28 2012. Still haven't gotten original marriage lic. I thought they said about six wks. Did anybody's take longer ?
    It can take up to 12 weeks. We were married on 3/22/12 and it's been more than 12 weeks now!! I emailed our wedding consultant to find out what is going on (seems everyone else who got married in March already got their certificate). Once you hit the 3 month mark from your wedding I would email as well...

Ours took 3 months

After 17 long weeks, we finally got our marriage certificate in!!! WOOO!!! People at work were starting to think I didn't really get married

Do you need to take it to anyone in the states (I'm in MO) so it's on record/legal in the US? I'm at a loss as to what to do..I've searched online forever without finding anything about what you do after you get the certificate. I understand the process of changing my name..just a little worried if I don't submit it to someone we won't be recognized as married in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCouple View Post
    . . . Do you need to take it to anyone in the states (I'm in MO) so it's on record/legal in the US? I'm at a loss as to what to do..I've searched online forever without finding anything about what you do after you get the certificate. I understand the process of changing my name..just a little worried if I don't submit it to someone we won't be recognized as married in the US?
    You need to do absolutely nothing with your marriage certificate. The U.S. and all states therein recognize as valid marriages legally performed in other countries. As long as your Jamaica marriage is legal (e.g., you are both of marriageable age, neither of you is married to another, etc.), then your marriage is valid and recognized in the U.S.

There used to be incorrect information on this site about "registering" your marriage, but it was wrong and caused a lot of undue stress. This is the way the marriage license/certificate process works: When you intend to wed, you obtain a license from the government agency in the jurisdiction in which you will wed, not where you reside. Once the marriage ceremony is performed, the officiant completes the license, documenting that you have in fact wed, and then submits the completed license to the issuing government agency. That agency, in turn, then issues the marriage certificate.

If you had wed in Missouri, you would have obtained a license from the appropriate county, which would then have issued the certificate after the wedding. There is no process in the individual states for registering a marriage performed elsewhere. For example, my husband and I wed in Michigan. When we moved to New York, we weren't required to do anything in order for New York to recognize our marriage. It's largely a matter of recordkeeping with each state being required to maintain records of marriages entered into within the state, but the states are not required to compile and maintain records documenting marriages performed in other jurisdictions.
    Last edited by Pamela; July 19th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Thank you so much! That's what I was thinking...but wanted to check and make sure! Now on to changing my name!!

Got ours today! Exactly 3 months to the day. Happy 3 monthaversary to us!

My credit union (bank) let me change my name with the certificate that we got when we were there since it was a "Certified Copy" I am going to social security and secretary of state on Tuesday so I am crossing my fingers that I won't have issues there!!
    Becky & Dave
    CSS July 2012 (Wedding @ CSS 7.18.12)
    CN July 2012

We got married june 9th, 2012.....Today is October 22 and we have still yet to receive our marriage license When I called in August they said that there had been a mistake or typo so it had to be sent back to the jamaican gov to complete again! Im hoping it comes soon! Been married for over 4 months and I still cant change my name!!

We got married 2/10/12 and when I called in June they said that they wait to get a stack of them before sending. I received it in July and I just finish changing everything over including my professional licenses and my passport bc we are heading back to CSA in Dec. It was a pain so I told my husband we can't get divorce!!! Good luck!!! BTW Plan to shell out 140 dollars to change your passport!!
    Dane

There are so many strange things and creatures in the WOW. There are deserts that covered by the snows, there are trees that can move and attck you, there are deers that are shinked by some magic, there are horses with lighting foots and take you run really fast...... You can never imagine how many surprises are there for you. If you have are still not one part of the game, maybe it is your time now to make up your mind. You can have fun with little cheap wow gold, and it is a good choice to join a team with your friends. You will be able to have much more fun and enjoy your leisure time better with your friends. Fight fot the World of Warcraft Gold and the glory.