Thread: beach cams

Default beach cams

Randy or Shawn, How about a beach cam at the resorts so we can see what we are missing when we are not there. thanks
    Jamaicajeanne

This one has made the rounds a few times before. Randymon's and Couples' correct response on this has been that they will not compromise the privacy of its clientele through the use of webcams. There are some beachcams installed at a couple of the resorts on 7-Mile Beach... I've looked at them, and there's not a lot to be seen. Perhaps the idea itself is a bit over-rated.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I do believe that they explored that before and due to privacy issues opted against it. I may be wrong though.
    Kristen

What happens in Jamaica, should STAY in Jamaica...

No beach cams, please!!!

if they want to put a Cam in my room while I am at CN ....good luck to you, watch if you want
    Maybe it could be a reality show

Quote Originally Posted by Umberto View Post
    What happens in Jamaica, should STAY in Jamaica...
    What happens in Jamaica... NEVER HAPPENED! (so no evidence please )

Please, NO beach cams. We all have many wonderful pictures to remind us of the paradise. We like our privacy that is one thing we truly love about the place. It is a quiet, romantic, private place for couples that want to feel renewed, not "watched".
    Thanks. Hope to be able to "come back soon".
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    No beach cams, please!!!
    X2
    -Otter,

I agree that beach cams are a no-no. I don't want the world watching me on vacation.

I agree that beach cams should not be installed. Lets keep the resorts private.
    Irie Mon

Default beach cams

OMG! NO! no beach cams please!

Be careful what you wish for. If you put beach cams up at SSB, you will see many moons, lots of nuts, and more than a few bums hanging around. : - )

I am really torn on this issue...I don't think the beach cams will happen...but I could see why it would be alluring to guests who are a few months or weeks away from a visit to Couples. It could be installed in some place clearly marked, so ONLY guests who wanted to be on camera would be captured...ok, I don't know where that would be exactly, but I think it could be sort of nice. I understand the privacy issues too though....Wow...I'm torn on this one. Couples is beautiful. Guess I'll just see it in my dreams until I can return there again in 2010.

Yep. No cams for me.

When you go to Couples, TAKE YOUR CAMERA! Then you will have pictures that will last forever to help you remenber.....
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

If you have not been to Couples, there is plenty of inspiration on the Couples web site without beach cams. If you HAVE been to a Couples Resort, then the only "beach-cam" that is necessary is the one in your mind. I understand the impulse to have web-cams, but it's my humble opinion that we've already gone too far in squashing our ability to imagine with "real-time, image-based, information over-load." I'm not sure our children are going to have the ability to let their minds roam, to imagine and visualize the way we used to. Any other thoughts on this?

Interesting insight, fabfifty, and I whole-heartedly agree! Even the art of photography has suffered due to the simplicity that's been introduced.

Some folks have a knack for composition, and it shows in their photography. Others (such as myself) get lucky now and then through the shear volume of photos I take.

Likewise, the things that pass for newspapers have really declined in quality, due to the "Weekly Reader" trend that's been imposed on us by such publishers as Gannett. The quality is so low now, that I only get the weekend paper, and I find even that to be low-brow. I find that I get more and more of my news from the net, using sites that present AP, Reuters, BBC, TIME, Newsweek, and the like.

Now I'm getting depressed!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by fabfifty View Post
    If you have not been to Couples, there is plenty of inspiration on the Couples web site without beach cams. If you HAVE been to a Couples Resort, then the only "beach-cam" that is necessary is the one in your mind. I understand the impulse to have web-cams, but it's my humble opinion that we've already gone too far in squashing our ability to imagine with "real-time, image-based, information over-load." I'm not sure our children are going to have the ability to let their minds roam, to imagine and visualize the way we used to. Any other thoughts on this?
    deferred gratification has goen the way of the horse and buggy..
    children are surrounded by instant gratification which has and will lead to a demise in their ability to
    focus
    concentrate for any period longer then 10 minutes
    be much more irraitable at the first sign on distress
    lack the ability to appreciate the journey
    take most fro granted hence lack of gratitude will reduce their sence of worth
    vocabulary reading comprehension and critical thinking will be an abnormality

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
    I am really torn on this issue...I don't think the beach cams will happen...but I could see why it would be alluring to guests who are a few months or weeks away from a visit to Couples. It could be installed in some place clearly marked, so ONLY guests who wanted to be on camera would be captured...ok, I don't know where that would be exactly, but I think it could be sort of nice. I understand the privacy issues too though....Wow...I'm torn on this one. Couples is beautiful. Guess I'll just see it in my dreams until I can return there again in 2010.
    You know, I don't entirely object to the idea of a beach cam, though, it's pretty apparent it won't happen at couples.

My husband and I travel to places other than couples, and one of the places we dearly love in the British Virgin Islands has a beach cam. I enjoy looking at the webcam there on a regular basis and it can make me smile in the middle of a hectic day. It is a nice reminder of what we have to look forward to on our next trip there, and is just a little more "real" than still photos.

Anybody seen the movie Idiocracy?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I have two children ages 7 and 9. They have the most wonderful imaginations possible, but they also have access to wealth of information that we/I didn't have as children. When my children have a question about something in the world of science or nature or any other avenue, we can pop open the computer and check it out. Get an answer, look at the pictures, learn something interesting.

I know my 7 year old will set down with a box of Lego's and build the most amazing things.

I know my 9 year old will read for hours and then make up the most fantastical stories about what he has read. Sometimes he even writes them down.

My 7 year old still thinks the greatest gift in the world is a big box.

My 9 year old goes exploring in the backyard and the adjacent woods looking for "sprites" and "trolls" and "faeries." He then comes back to me and tells me the evidence that they are there. Sometimes, he actually "finds" them.

I think imagination is a part of childhood, regardless of the era in which we are raised.

That being said, we do some things to help instill imagination, determination and responsibility in our children.

1. We say yes, please and no, thank you, and ma'am and sir.
    2. We say grace before dinner every night.
    3. We have no cable TV. Yes, that's correct -- and aside from a temper tantrum during football season (by the BIG kid in the house), we don't miss it.
    4. We sit down for dinner as a family most every night.
    5. We eat real food. (Not boxed stuff and chicken fingers and the like.)
    6. We read.
    7. We talk.
    8. They have chores around the house that they are expected to do.
    9. We have expectations that are expected to be met, and consequences if they are not met.

I don't have a problem with new technology (I'd better not... I'm a software engineer.) But I DO dislike the way technology can take the place of family interaction. That's why it's our job as parents (and grandparents and aunts and uncles and godparents and friends, etc. etc.) to help our children find and enjoy their youth while they have it.

I would like to leave you with this quote:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. "

You know where this was quoted? Plato's Republic. It's attributed to Socrates.