Default Negril Jamaica Must Do's?

Our first visit to Negril is this August.. We will be spending 6 days five nights at Couples Negril for our honeymoon. We are afraid we are going to be a little home sick while gone because we are leaving behind our 2 year old son. This will be our first time away from him for longer then 2 nights so are really afraid we won't be able to keep busy long enough to not miss him everyday....with that being said I want to fill our schedule with as many activities as possible. Besides the ones available at CN, do you guys have any other suggestions for excursions/activities considered a "Must Do" while in Negril? We've never been to the Caribbean before, let alone Jamaica so this is our first exotic experience. Very excited, but just a little afraid of getting home sick.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I am very curious about this too.. We will be at CN in April and I would like to know what are "must-do's"

Hi jaime08,
    We usually stay in Ocho Rios, but your email was sooooo sweet I had to respond! I think there will be plenty of activities onsite and offsite to keep you two busy and reconnected! I think when you go home after your trip to Negril you will be even BETTER parents because you will have had time to enjoyt what you together in the first place to create such a beloved son!!!

All the best to you and enjoy your vacation!!!
    suzyQ

We did CSA in 2011 and planning on going in 2013. CN is about 4 resorts up from CSA. The resorts of plenty of water activities to keep you busy, the catamaran is a must! I believe CN is closed off on the beach so you can't actually walk down the 7 mile beach. We researched and ended up at CSA because of the nice long walk on the beach and you can walk down to Margueritaville. Hope this helps.

Damen

Have a couple Bob Marleys every day, you won't remember home. Seriously, there will be enough at the resort to do, ice carvings, games, exercise classes, catamaran boat rides, glass bottom boat rides, plus more. You will have a great time, if you let yourself.
    Coming back for #4 January 24, 2013.

Duane

The only off resort activity we did was horseback riding booked through the resort travel desk. We were there for a week, and really could not do all that we thought we could. The entertainment staff has more than enough to keep you busy, if you want to. Our favorite activty was hanging out at the pool bar and visiting with other guests.

I would not leave the resort, there is a lot to do there

Veg on the beach, take the cat tour, go out on the snorkle boat

If you must leave then try Rick's Cafe.

Borrow an Ipad or Iphone and and use facetime to visit with your baby.

When we go we leave our girls behind. Remember that there is wifi so you can see the baby daily. You have to take time out to spend we each other and bond and connect.
    Ralph <3 Karla

2005 Photo contest winners

Five nights really isn't that long, you may be surprised by how quickly it goes. We honeymooned at CTI for 5 nights and felt very busy all day trying to fit in just the activities that were included at Couples. We did horseback riding, catamaran cruise, and snorkeling. There's entertainments and dinner reservations in the evening.

I would make sure you allow for some time just to relax, and enjoy the beach/pool and each other's company. The resort has plenty to do though - exercise classes, educational/crafts activities related to local culture, volleyball, etc. We stayed at CSA for 10 nights - left the resort only once to attend Easter mass - and were never bored!

Go to Miss Sonja's (off resort property) on the main road in Negril and have some red stripes and home made made to order Patties. She makes them while you wait- all different flavors- beef, curry chicken, veggie, lobster, etc..... DELICIOUS! Or grab a cab, head to Xtabi (cliffside) and go snorkeling or floating or swimming near and in the caves.....the water is soooooo turquoise it is amazing!!! You have to be there to believe the color- breathtaking... Or call The Caves resort and schedule a massage- the massage areas are amazing- either in a Palapala right off the ocean or in a cave.....incredible! After your massage they will take you to a very romantic shower area with a sauna that has a window that looks right down into the ocean- again amazing!!!!

We went to Negril for our wedding/honeymoon 2 years ago and had to leave our almost 1 year old behind for the first time. I thought it would be awful, but we had such a wonderful time. My parents (who watched him) would post a happy picture of him of facebook or sent it to our email every few days and reassured us that everything was going ok and that did enough to ease our mind knowing he was happy and in good hands so we were able to spend the rest of our week fully enjoying our time together. We never left the resort and never felt bored, we did all the things the resort had to offer, catamaran, snorkeling, glass bottom boat, and just relaxing with out having to chase a kid around was a welcome change. We are going back next year and booked the zip lining excursion already, we are very excited about it!

Well, you didn't mention which resort. When we stay at CSA, and IF we can break from the powers of sand gravity, we love to just walk down the stretch of Long Bay's beach. Stop in one or some of the beach bas or vendor's shops.

From either resort, do the Trading Places program and vist the other one. This requires that you sign up for the Romance Rewards (a repeaters perks type) program before you arive.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by Damenc View Post
    We did CSA in 2011 and planning on going in 2013. CN is about 4 resorts up from CSA. The resorts of plenty of water activities to keep you busy, the catamaran is a must! I believe CN is closed off on the beach so you can't actually walk down the 7 mile beach. We researched and ended up at CSA because of the nice long walk on the beach and you can walk down to Margueritaville. Hope this helps.

Damen
    The beach at CN is not closed off, and you can walk down it, but it's only a couple miles long, versus the 4 miles of "7-mile beach"

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon in June 2011. We had a blast. We found ourselves very entertained at the resort with the catamaran cruise, snorkeling, swimming, and all the water sports. However we did leave the resort numerous times for excursions. We did ziplining and tubed down a river which was one excursion and about a hour bus ride, and my husband went deep sea fishing. There is so much to do, just depends on your personalities! But if you like to keep busy, book an excursion off the resort and see some more of the island!

Quote Originally Posted by jaimie08 View Post
    Our first visit to Negril is this August.. We will be spending 6 days five nights at Couples Negril for our honeymoon. We are afraid we are going to be a little home sick while gone because we are leaving behind our 2 year old son. This will be our first time away from him for longer then 2 nights so are really afraid we won't be able to keep busy long enough to not miss him everyday....with that being said I want to fill our schedule with as many activities as possible. Besides the ones available at CN, do you guys have any other suggestions for excursions/activities considered a "Must Do" while in Negril? We've never been to the Caribbean before, let alone Jamaica so this is our first exotic experience. Very excited, but just a little afraid of getting home sick.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    One cool thing to do would be to take the Sunset Bar Shuttle that the resort offers. It takes you into Negril and the cliffs on the West End. You sit at Pushcart, an outdoor bar/restaurant on top of the cliffs, and watch the best sunset ever. It will give you a chance to see Negril proper, but you're only gone a couple hours, so it won't cut into your trip time too much. The van ride is only 10 mintues. I would definitely avoid an all-day excursion, if you're only going to be there 5 nights.

We spent our honeymoon at CN in 2009. We enjoyed walking along bloody bay beach to Office of Nature for some lobster - not sure if it is still there, but it was fantastic! We also signed up for the romance rewards program so that we'd be eligible for the trading places program. That allowed us to spend the day at CSA. We enjoyed the swim up bar there (quieter than the one at CN, at least when we were there). We also walked off the property to check out 7 mile beach - very cool! My husband was a little nervous about people approaching us, but it was fine. As for activities on the resort, we really enjoyed the snorkeling, and the night snorkeling too! It was scary (the night trip) but amazing. That one cost a little extra, but it was really memorable! If you are interested in trying jerk or patties off the resort, check out other message boards for recommendations. There are some really famous places to try near CSA that you could check out if you want to take a taxi or do the trading places program (read about 3 dives - it's supposed to be out of this world). I also really enjoyed the catamaran cruise. It's a great way to get to check out the cliffs. We had a great time. Have a wonderful trip!

Here's the deal. The only excursion that you should take, being the number of days you have to spend in Paradise, as a wise man once said " my only excursion is from my beach lounger to the beach bar and back", such wisdom! Stop and smell the flowers. Sit on the best beach , ok atleast one of the best beaches on the planet, and let time stop....... Just stop.....That is the magic of Couples and Negril. Just stop.