Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Plus size vacationers

I've got my concerns. Plus size vacationers, we are first timers going CTI; wanting to try everything we can. Is there any excursions to avoid. Dunn's River, Towers Island (my hubby really wants to give it a try), scuba, snorkeling, windsurfing?

Why avoid anything. If you can physically handle it - go for it. I am also plus size, and we did Duns River the first year we were at CSS. We enjoyed it, and had no problems. My husbands health stops him from doing snorkling, and I prefer to do those things with him, so we do not do it, but we had several years ago when we had been on a cruise. No reason not to due to your size if you want to.

As far as Tower Isle goes - GO FOR IT. Size does not matter there. We spend all of our beach time at SSB and would not have it any other way. Go to the AN thread here on the boards, and read some of the forums on the AN experience. It should ease your mind a lot.
    Linda

Try EVERYTHING you listed, and remember one thing, in this case, SIZE DOES NOT MATTER. Nobody gives a crap what size you are. And, not to get on a pedestal or anything, but it shouldn't matter anywhere. But, it really doesn't matter in Jamaica. Don't hold back at all. You will have the time of your life, and everything you mentioned is included, which makes it that much better!

I too am a plus size. Never felt uncomfortable about my size while in Jamaica, I actually felt very beautiful and didn't feel like anyone was judging my size. Wish our beaches here in the States could be like that. So unless there is a wieght limit you dont meet like on the zipline go for it!!! And they have life vest at the resort for plus size people so you can enjoy the water sports too. 27 days.

I think it depends on how plus sized you are and what kind of shape you are in. I am 6'5 and about 280lbs but still in pretty good shape so have no problem climbing dunns river or with other physical activities...however i do know things such has zip lining and horseback riding have a weight limit.

NOPE! Do whatever you physically can! If you do not feel comfortable climbing up the falls they have steps on the side. I have had 5 back surgeries so I will not do the falls. DH climbs the falls and I do the steps. Life is good in Jamaica!

Well, my wife is "plus sized" and we didn't think of avoiding anything because of it. You're on your vacation, you should enjoy yourselves and d**n what anyone else may think!
    That being said, we went out to the Isle, and it's exactly what you would(n't) expect. It wasn't all "beautiful" people, it was "people." Young people, old people, fit people, less than fit people. One of the couples on the Isle our last day out were probably grandparents, and both were "plus sized." No one cared.

Now, scuba you may have some hassles, but it would be more a case of making sure the dive crew give you enough weights so you're neutrally bouyant. I tried to get the wife to take up SCUBA before we went, and she wound up with probably close to 20-30lbs or more of weights, and was still trying to float to the surface...

Other than that, I'd say try everything you want to try!

You'll love CTI!
    Jason
    CTI again in:
    328 days
    19 hours
    17 minutes

Hello!
    PLEASE do not worry about your size! I have not and will not EVER a size 0, and I plant myself on SSB at CSS on every trip! Your fellow guests are in paradise with the one they love! Worrying about your size is not on the agenda! If it is, those folks need to get a life. I have climbed Dunns River Falls without a problem--just because I'm a big girl, doesn't mean I'm not fit! So go and ENJOY yourself!!

One Love,
    suzyQ

i say try it all. i'm definitely plus size myself and have tried all the activities except the an, and have enjoyed them all. the an has nothing to do w/my size, that's just not something my wife or i would be into regardless. my only concern at dunn's was that they have you line up boy/girl, and both my wife and the woman behind me were quite small. i'm clumsy anyways, and if i went down i would've just taken them with me. so i made sure they knew that if i started slipping to just let me go. but there were no real issues and it was a great time.

I can't speak for scuba diving but I found windsurfing was very difficult (at 265lbs) but nothing else stopped me! I did your list and managed, mind you it took a lot out of me! Go and have fun, enjoy!

kelly

I'd like to think of myself as 'extra cuddly' or 'plush'. You know, like a mattress: you've got your firm, medium, soft and then plush - the extra comfy one, that's me!!
    I scuba dive and have always needed extra weights to let me descend properly. But, once in the water, no problem. Have fun, you'll love it and try anything you want at least once.

Absolutely try snorkeling and scuba diving (amongst the other stuff). While some activities mentioned (horseback riding and zip lining - which aren't included anyway) have weight limits, in the water we are all weightless. So much to see down there. Have a great trip!

jcwgirlygirl,

Please do not fret by any means about size. There is nothing that you cannot do or try in Jamaica. From my experience there, size is like age... it's just a number. Everyone is very accepting, and very un-judgemental. Just go with what you want to try and love it!!!! My wife and I are not "plus size" but we certainly don't look at those who are as less deserving than us to enjoy all that life and a Couples vacation has to offer. Go and enjoy, never be afraid, and love..... one love.

Only one area of concern- Dunn's River Falls can be pretty dicey if you aren't careful, I am 40ish and I slipped on a very slippery rock way at the top of the falls (I was wearing aqua shoes )and had I not been able to catch myself, I know I would have gone tumbling down the falls (and I am in good shape, work out daily etc....). So please just be careful!!! We love climbing the falls and have been 3 times, so my fall did not deter me from returning....just made me very aware that when they tell you where to put your feet on the rocks, put your feet where they tell you!!!!

So when are you going? We'll be there Sept. 22 - 29.

As a fellow plus-sized gal, I must agree with all the statements above. One of the things I love about Jamaica is not feeling judged. We've been to CSA twice and are going to CTI for the first time in September. I am trying to convince the hubby to try AN. I don't imagine myself walking around nekkid or socializing much but I can probably lay there for a little while! Baby steps!

I've tried scuba and am not a huge fan. I don't really like squeezing myself into a wet suit like a sausage and the buoyancy thing is an issue. It's hard to get me to sink! The plus about that, however, is that snorkeling is a breeze! I don't even need the flotation device because I float all by myself! And the water is so clear, you can easily see everything!

Not sure we'll do Dunn's but more because of the touristy aspect of it than the effort involved. We did YS Falls a couple years ago and it was nice but just too much of a tourist trap. The resort has all we need! I tried windsurfing when I was much younger (and thinner) and it was ALOT harder than it looked! I'm a litter nervous to try again but wouldn't let my weight be the deciding factor. The staff seems very patient and willing to help. You might like renting a wave-runner, though. They are not included but a lot of fun! You're going to love it and feel great!!

Hey, in couples its all about yourself. We don't judge
    Ralph <3 Karla

2005 Photo contest winners

Don't think of it as a size issue, but more of what you are capable of. If you can't swim, don't snorkle. If you can't climb rocks, don't do Dunns River. If you can't dive deep, don't scuba. If you can't lie around and drink (while naked) don't do the Island.

As others have stated, there's all shapes and sizes of people who go to Couples and Jamaica. Don't sweat what you look like, just enjoy yourself.

Dunn's River Falls can be a little bit of a challenge, but if you get there and think it's too much, there are stairs along the side. If you are fairly healthy, it shouldn't be a problem; aqua shoes are a must. As far as Tower Isle goes - I am not plus size anymore, but I have spent most of my life there, with all the "momentos" that go along with it. I can say that after the first five minutes, I have never felt better about myself and my body than I did on the Island. It is really the great equalizer. It is funny how I would never get caught dead on the textile beach in a bikini, but will run around in the buff out there! You know those beautiful, hard-bodied people on the advertisements? Yeah, they won't be there. What you will find are people from all walks of life (I have never met more professionals in one place) and all body types. Enjoy your visit and relax!!

Thank you for all of the tips they are great to know, my bf and I are plus size and well. But we try to just go out there and live life.

Our thoughts are that you just need to be proud of yourself. Think everyone wants to change something about themselves our is just more visible from the outside. Yes i would like to shead a pound or twenty, but that should not stop you from living life to the extreme.

I know it can be embarassing at times, but that is just your head. If you are proud and confident about yourself then you will have the time of your life. Of course if you feel you are pushing your body to much then just stop, take a break, drink water, and continue when you feel better. I hate people who judge, if everyone was always pointing fingers at flaws then we would miss so much in this beautiful world we live in.

Can't wait to be to couples in Oct!!!!! (p.s. we have never been to a couples resort and even for me a more conservative dresser from Chicago, even i am going to try the Island, heck when in Rome......

My only question about AN is well how do you keep those sensative areas from burning, i know sun lotion but is there better brands?

I am overweight and I snorkeled just fine, hey, we probably can do it better because we float better! : ) I am not experienced with scuba but I see others have already given you information on that. You also will have no problems doing the hobie cats wind surfing thing if that is what you are talking about. Size truely doesn't matter there. I was worried both times before we went and then we I got there, we fit right in with everyone else. You will see everything and everyone is friendly to everyone. Hope you have a good time!

Hi Chi-Visit,
    I have used Neutrogena with helioplex at higher spf with great results, but I have also used the Walmart brand for sensitive skin for much less money and not got burned. So I think you should purchase what works for your wallet, and your type of skin. Definitely make sure you are not allergic to which ever brand you pick. Since I have sensitive skin, I bought small sizes and did test spots on my skin to make sure I wouldn't have a reaction. Some of the best I have bought has been the sunblock for children!

Have a great trip!
    suzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by elizadan View Post
    I am overweight and I snorkeled just fine, hey, we probably can do it better because we float better! : ) I am not experienced with scuba but I see others have already given you information on that. You also will have no problems doing the hobie cats wind surfing thing if that is what you are talking about. Size truely doesn't matter there. I was worried both times before we went and then we I got there, we fit right in with everyone else. You will see everything and everyone is friendly to everyone. Hope you have a good time!
    "Hobie cats" are just small catamarans (sail boats), they're not the same as windsurfing. That being said, being overweight shouldn't keep anyone from sailing (regardless of type of vessel). Windsurfing on the other hand might be more challenging.

Look, at the end of the day only you (the original poster) will be able to decide what you can and can't do (excluding things with weight limits). Hiking the falls may be more challenging to you than it is to someone who is physically fit, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do it. Just depends on how much you want to experience the activities you are considering.

Bottom line, you only live once and you won't know if you can do something until you try. If you see something you want to try then give it a shot.

Actually, I feel my most comfortable in Jamaica. I'm a 1x female and I have had no problems at all. Enjoy yourself and relax. You're on vacation who cares. Most of the US population is overweight anyway.

Neutrogena with helioplex is GREAT! I have found that Walgreens has a much less expensive version that works just as good at less then 1/2 the cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Visit View Post
    Thank you for all of the tips they are great to know, my bf and I are plus size and well. But we try to just go out there and live life.

Our thoughts are that you just need to be proud of yourself. Think everyone wants to change something about themselves our is just more visible from the outside. Yes i would like to shead a pound or twenty, but that should not stop you from living life to the extreme.

I know it can be embarassing at times, but that is just your head. If you are proud and confident about yourself then you will have the time of your life. Of course if you feel you are pushing your body to much then just stop, take a break, drink water, and continue when you feel better. I hate people who judge, if everyone was always pointing fingers at flaws then we would miss so much in this beautiful world we live in.

Can't wait to be to couples in Oct!!!!! (p.s. we have never been to a couples resort and even for me a more conservative dresser from Chicago, even i am going to try the Island, heck when in Rome......

My only question about AN is well how do you keep those sensative areas from burning, i know sun lotion but is there better brands?
    We'll be at CTI in August FROM CHICAGO!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast