Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I did it! Homemade patties, baby!!!

After much research (And even more jonesing), I am happy to report that I have made some killer homemade beef patties, and on the first try. These things are freakin incredible. If you're at all intereted in the recipe, let me know. I am in the process of getting it into a Word doc. The crazy thing is that the dough tastes exactly like the ones at Couples and it's really easy! Hellz ya!Name:  Homemade Beef Patties.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  31.9 KB

I would love a copy of the recipe!
    bruregan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    After much research (And even more jonesing), I am happy to report that I have made some killer homemade beef patties, and on the first try. These things are freakin incredible. If you're at all intereted in the recipe, let me know. I am in the process of getting it into a Word doc. The crazy thing is that the dough tastes exactly like the ones at Couples and it's really easy! Hellz ya!Name:  Homemade Beef Patties.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  31.9 KB
    Hellz yeah, I would like the recipe. Please share!

Steve

We are always looking for patty recipes. After several tries we are very close on the taste of the filling but the dough is never quite right. Please post.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Sign me up for the document, Dan :-) We have been making patties for a couple of years now, but the dough is the one thing that we struggle with (very close, but not quite exactly the same). You have my email address, can you fire it on over? Glad to here we will be at CN the same next May. We miss you guys.

I would love the recipe. Thank you clemonssara40@gmail.com

Ok, count me in. I'd love to have that complete recipe, maybe you could post it here?!

Oh my I would love this recipe!
    sweet.and.low@hotmail.com

Yes please!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Mendy View Post
    Sign me up for the document, Dan :-) We have been making patties for a couple of years now, but the dough is the one thing that we struggle with (very close, but not quite exactly the same). You have my email address, can you fire it on over? Glad to here we will be at CN the same next May. We miss you guys.

Sign me up! I'd love to give these a try!

please send me your recipe!!!! Here's my email: allen2569@att.net! They look delish!!!

I would love the recipe also. Couples patties are my fav!

YES, please!! rdonarski at hotmail dot com

Thank you from the bottom of my stomach!

Would also LOVE the recipe. We'd like to have a Jamaican party this fall and I'm struggling to come up with a good party plan. Hard to find the right kind of ingredients out here in the middle of nowwhere. rocklady 59 @ yahoo.com Thanks in advance.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

Jamaican Beef Patties – by dank120

Makes 5 patties

Dough:
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    4 Tbs Crisco or other veg shortening
    ½ stick cold unsalted butter
    ¼ cup plus 1 Tbs cold water

It is extremely important to get the measurements exactly right on the dough. Sift first 3 dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Using fingers, mash butter and shortening into dry ingredients until forming a coarse crumbly mixture. Add just enough water to form a firm dough without overworking. Make sure it is firm, but make sure there is enough water that the dough will combine and not stay too dry and cracked or it will be too difficult to roll out. Form into disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 ½ hours.

Filling:

There are several different fillings you can make with varying degrees of time to prepare. For this round, I went with a quick, easy, healthy filling.

1/2 lb of lean ground beef
    1/8 cup diced carrot
    1/8 cup diced bell pepper
    1/8 cup diced celery
    ¾ cup beef broth
    2 Tbs Walkerswood or Busha Brown’s jerk rub

Brown ground beef on medium heat and drain. Add carrot, bell pepper and celery to pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, add beef broth and jerk rub and simmer down for 15-20 minutes.

Assembly:

Egg wash: 2 eggs beaten with 1 tsp cooking wine

Roll out dough to about 1/8” thin on a floured surface. Make sure rolling pin and dough have a little flour on them to prevent sticking. Cut out 5ea – 8” circles. Place 1/3 cup filling into each circle. Brush egg wash around outside edge of one half of each dough circle. Fold dough circle over forming a half moon shape. Seal edges shut with fork. Place patties on a baking sheet, lightly sprayed with non-stick spray if necessary (If there is enough flour on the dough, skip the spray altogether). Brush egg wash over top of each patty. Bake in center of pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with a jerk sauce, such as Walkerswood Caribbean One Stop or Eaton’s Jerk Sauce.

Thank you. I printed it off, and will make them tonight.

Ok, I went out yesterday to buy the ingredients, and cannot find Walkerswood jerk rub, or Walkerswood Carabean one stop. They sell the Grace brand here in Canada, and Walkerswood, but not in the jerk rub, or Carabean one stop. Any suggestions where to buy it?

Thanks for sharing the recipe! We may try them this weekend.

Grayturtless... Try amazon...I just ordered some!

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    Ok, I went out yesterday to buy the ingredients, and cannot find Walkerswood jerk rub, or Walkerswood Carabean one stop. They sell the Grace brand here in Canada, and Walkerswood, but not in the jerk rub, or Carabean one stop. Any suggestions where to buy it?
    There is a specialty food store in Boulder, CO that carries Walkerswood products that I use when we run out, but I usually have a good supply that will get me from one trip to the next. The Walkerswood rub is a paste, and the jar doesn't actually use the word "rub", it just says "jerk seasoning". Any jerk rub will do, and you can make this from scratch if interested. The One Stop is a great sauce, but any jerk sauce in a hot sauce sized bottle will work fine. It's just for dipping when eating the patties.

I went to Walkerswood's site and here is the distributor for Canada. He should be able to help you.

SHAH TRADING CO. LTD
    3451 McNICOLL AVENUE
    SCARBOROUGH, ONTARIO M1V 2V3
    CANADA
    TEL: (416) 292 – 6927
    EMAIL: paul@shahtrading.com

Here is a picture of the rub. When the jar is brand new, there is a red plastic seal around the top.

Name:  Walkerswood jerk seasoning.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  22.0 KB

Thank you Inthesun.

Default sounds good mon!

I'll give it a try - we even have some ripe scotch bonnets we can use and red stripe to wash it down.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Jamaican Beef Patties – by dank120

Makes 5 patties

Dough:
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    4 Tbs Crisco or other veg shortening
    ½ stick cold unsalted butter
    ¼ cup plus 1 Tbs cold water

It is extremely important to get the measurements exactly right on the dough. Sift first 3 dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Using fingers, mash butter and shortening into dry ingredients until forming a coarse crumbly mixture. Add just enough water to form a firm dough without overworking. Make sure it is firm, but make sure there is enough water that the dough will combine and not stay too dry and cracked or it will be too difficult to roll out. Form into disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 ½ hours.

Filling:

There are several different fillings you can make with varying degrees of time to prepare. For this round, I went with a quick, easy, healthy filling.

1/2 lb of lean ground beef
    1/8 cup diced carrot
    1/8 cup diced bell pepper
    1/8 cup diced celery
    ¾ cup beef broth
    2 Tbs Walkerswood or Busha Brown’s jerk rub

Brown ground beef on medium heat and drain. Add carrot, bell pepper and celery to pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, add beef broth and jerk rub and simmer down for 15-20 minutes.

Assembly:

Egg wash: 2 eggs beaten with 1 tsp cooking wine

Roll out dough to about 1/8” thin on a floured surface. Make sure rolling pin and dough have a little flour on them to prevent sticking. Cut out 5ea – 8” circles. Place 1/3 cup filling into each circle. Brush egg wash around outside edge of one half of each dough circle. Fold dough circle over forming a half moon shape. Seal edges shut with fork. Place patties on a baking sheet, lightly sprayed with non-stick spray if necessary (If there is enough flour on the dough, skip the spray altogether). Brush egg wash over top of each patty. Bake in center of pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with a jerk sauce, such as Walkerswood Caribbean One Stop or Eaton’s Jerk Sauce.

Ooooo....thank you! Now I have a project for the weekend.

dank120,

Thank you so much for the added info and picture. I actually found the Walkerswood line at Lawblaws but they did not sell the rub, just the Walkerswood seasoning, so now I am good to go. I just did not want to put all the effort into making them, without the proper ingredients. I will go out and buy it today.

Thanks again.

I made them and they turned out great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast