Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thought I'd post a pic of our finished product - yum

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I'll give it a try - we even have some ripe scotch bonnets we can use and red stripe to wash it down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's great, grayturtless and pwb! Also, pwb, awesome presentation. Mine were not as pretty the first time around, since it was just the experimentation stage. I would really like feedback on the dough and filling. To me, the dough tasted exactly the same as the ones at CN, but as I stated in my recipe, the filling was a quicker, leaner option. I do have a filling recipe that ends up having a little more of a pasty "sloppy joe" kinda texture, which is more like what you get at the resorts. That filling requires a longer stewing period with the meat and it has a lot more ingredients, because the jerk rub is essentially made from scratch in the pan. The multitude of ingredients in the "from scratch" version can also make it more expensive if you have to buy a bunch of stuff you don't already have.

Dank I would like the recipe when you get it.
    Thanks!

Default dank120 thanks for the compliment

We've made a version of these several times and the crust is the most difficult part to get right. I used my own filing recipe but used your dough recipe. Which turned out great. Flaky and crispy. Chilling the dough was also an excellent idea.

I doubled it but didn't double the turmeric. Mine were 6" and we got 12 patties. My filling recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on IslandFlav.com. The fresh peppers are really key. You can substitute habaneros if you aren't lucky enough to be growing your own scotch bonnets . Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    That's great, grayturtless and pwb! Also, pwb, awesome presentation. Mine were not as pretty the first time around, since it was just the experimentation stage. I would really like feedback on the dough and filling. To me, the dough tasted exactly the same as the ones at CN, but as I stated in my recipe, the filling was a quicker, leaner option. I do have a filling recipe that ends up having a little more of a pasty "sloppy joe" kinda texture, which is more like what you get at the resorts. That filling requires a longer stewing period with the meat and it has a lot more ingredients, because the jerk rub is essentially made from scratch in the pan. The multitude of ingredients in the "from scratch" version can also make it more expensive if you have to buy a bunch of stuff you don't already have.

Dank, we made them tonight and they were fantastic. Thanks for the recipe. The dough was a challenge, needed to add more water, and still felt like we overworked it. Lots of trouble getting it to hold together. We expected the worst and yet....they came out really well. The pastry was crisp on the outside and flakey inside. The first few were ugly but with a little practice the last few were beautiful. Your filling recipe was good, although we halved the Walkerswood. Fresh scotch bonnets sound like a great idea. Overall a resounding success which we will certainly try again. Thanks again for sharing.

I found the patties different on the Ocho side CSS, compared to the Negril side CSA. I think they were spicier at CSS. I bake all the time, and your crust recipe is the same as my pie pastry recipe, without the turmeric, which has litle flavour on its own. They were quite good, but to me not the same as couples. Close enough though. I will make them again, and thank you again dank for inspiring me to make them, and sharing the recipe.

Thanks for the input everyone! I cook A LOT, at least 4-5 days a week, and almost always from scratch. I'm a bit of a guerilla chef. That being said, as a quick post-recipe-disclaimer, I thought the dough was a bit of a pain in the hoo-hah to work with. I totally understand where you're coming from Jamerinadians! Grayturtless, I totally agree. As I stated up front, this was more of a quick low-fat version of a filling, but as soon as I get the chance, I am going to post the recipe for a more traditional filling that I have.

Dank,

I personally like the low fat version, and would continue to use that same original recipe that you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    After much research (And even more jonesing), I am happy to report that I have made some killer homemade beef patties, and on the first try. These things are freakin incredible. If you're at all intereted in the recipe, let me know. I am in the process of getting it into a Word doc. The crazy thing is that the dough tastes exactly like the ones at Couples and it's really easy! Hellz ya!Attachment 17230
    I would be interested in the recipe, please. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2