Default Flight to MBJ from PHL or BWI?

Hi all!!! I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts about Couples resorts. You all have by far made our decision to honeymoon at CN an easy one!!

Any regulars to Jamaica give me an idea of a "good" deal on airfare to MBJ from Baltimore or Philly. We prefer to fly out of BWI but will fly out of PHL for the right price.

We are headed to CN August 4th 2013, returning August 11th 2013. Airline prices will not be available til Mid September. We would like to fly nonstop. So what's your "buy" price? Thanks again to everyone who posted so much fantastic info!!
    Last edited by Sleepy832; July 6th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Hi, You will love CN! We went the past two summers out of BWI, non-stop on AirTran. I think we payed about $350RT per person last year and $360RT this year. We booked as soon as the flights were available. I checked from time to time and only saw the prices go up as it got closer to our dates. We will be going again next summer, the last week of June and I will book as soon as the fares are available.

We have been flying non-stop to MBJ from BWI for a long time. We used to take the old Air Jamaybe non-stop from there but now we take the AirTran nonstop (1060/1061) and have been happy with AirTran.
    Can't comment of Philly though but I am interested to hear what info shows up here about it.

Sleepy- The morning AirTran flight out of BWI is a piece of cake and you can make it to your resort in time for lunch! No idea on a good price though - we book airfare and Couples together.

Sleepy,
    I live in Central PA where I can fly from Harrisburg, about 30 minutes from my house, or I can go to PHL or BWI. Both about an hour and a half away. I prefer to fly from PHL as it usually is cheaper and a non-stop flight. BWI has a stop in Charlotte, as does Harrisburg. I'm coming back in January and PHL was $300-$400 cheaper than Harrisburg and about $100 cheaper then BWI. Check them both.

Me and my girl found a damn good deal last nite! We are departing the 15th of sept to the 23rd. It's a non stop flight both ways, duration is only 3.5 hours! Everything came out to $776!

Our travel agent has been doing a horrible job, so we decided to get our refund for our flights with his travel agency and we made out great! We did a lot of searching and everything was so expensive, most airlines wanted over $900 with one stop and long lay overs!

Our airline is air trans, Check it out.

Hi there, We just booked tickets from PHL for April 2013. PHL was the only one that I found to offer non-stop flights. We found the price to be $423 each ticket, which was the lowest price we could find.

We transferred at BWI with Air Tran. We had a really good experience. Flights were early.
    Vicky

My travel agent seems to think we should be able to get them between 350-400 out of BWI. Has anyone flown direct out of BWI with anyone other than Air Tran? Seems they may be the only one that flies direct.

Thanks everyone!! 389 til the wedding and 391 days til we land in Jamaica!! I would looooooove to be there before lunch to make the best out of our vaca.

Keep in mind that AirTran has not posted flights for April 2013 yet. So while it may look right now like there is not an AirTran Non-Stop from BWI to MBJ that does not mean there won't be one. I am thinking that lower gas prices could result in at least some relief to prices down the line.

We live in Lower Delaware so can fly out of 6 or 7 major air ports. Our preferred is BWI on Air tran non-stop to MBJ.

We have paid anywhere from $375.00 to $472.00 PP then we usually upgrade at the gate to business for $99.00 pp if available. We have already booked CN for 8/2013 but Air Tran has not released flights. I wish we could do the early bird deals with air but have never been able to since flights are never out yet. But then again this usually gives me time to talk hubby into adding additional days.....hehehehehehehe

We have seen an occasional flight out of PHL slightly less expensive but not enough to make us want to go to PHL. Now that Caribbean Air does not fly out of PHL I am curious to see what the prices will look like out of that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffin View Post
    We live in Lower Delaware so can fly out of 6 or 7 major air ports. Our preferred is BWI on Air tran non-stop to MBJ.

We have paid anywhere from $375.00 to $472.00 PP then we usually upgrade at the gate to business for $99.00 pp if available. We have already booked CN for 8/2013 but Air Tran has not released flights. I wish we could do the early bird deals with air but have never been able to since flights are never out yet. But then again this usually gives me time to talk hubby into adding additional days.....hehehehehehehe

We have seen an occasional flight out of PHL slightly less expensive but not enough to make us want to go to PHL. Now that Caribbean Air does not fly out of PHL I am curious to see what the prices will look like out of that location.
    This is great to hear! How far in advance does Airtran release flights? I noticed they are waaaaaay behind the other airlines! Is there a way to set upnotifications so they notify you when a flight on your date to your location becomes available? That would be a neat feature!

Since AJ/CAir doesnt fly out of Philly anymore, I just booked US AIR for next April for $1025 for both, taxes included, plus bags. It was the next earliest non stop flight from Philly, that I could find.

I believe Air Tran releases flights 6 months in advance. To me that is sooooo frustrating since I am a planner. What I have noticed with them is that once they post the price it seems to remain stable unlike some of the major airlines.

I have not found any place that will notify you when AT releases the flights. I just check daily when I know we are getting close. We have paid $472.00 the past 2x (April & August 2012) and $450.00 for August 2011 with departures/returns on Friday-Sunday.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffin View Post
    I believe Air Tran releases flights 6 months in advance. To me that is sooooo frustrating since I am a planner. What I have noticed with them is that once they post the price it seems to remain stable unlike some of the major airlines.

I have not found any place that will notify you when AT releases the flights. I just check daily when I know we are getting close. We have paid $472.00 the past 2x (April & August 2012) and $450.00 for August 2011 with departures/returns on Friday-Sunday.

Where are you located?
    Hi Fluffin!! We are in Forest Hill, MD up in the Bel Air area. The price you paid is per ticket correct? I would be ok with $450 a person. Any other direct flight recommendations? We could fly out of the DC airport too. I just prefer BWI or Philly because they are closest (with BWI being the closest).

Currently I think AirTran has released flights and rates through mid-February. It's not always 6 months ahead, it seems a little more random than that. We have been happy with AirTran from BWI though.

At this time I am only aware of two non-stop flights. Air Tran our of BWI and US Airways out of Philly. It would not surprise me if a new route was established out of PHL since CAL pulled out. But we will have to wait and see.

I think their is a Non-stop out of EWR and Atlantic City as well.....for us to get there it would be a pain though.

As it has been stated the only direct flights at this time to MBJ from PHL and BWI are US Airways out of Philly and AirTran out of Baltimore. We have a group of close to 40 going to CN in April of 2013 and we could book US Airways now, but we are holding off until AirTran releases their flight. We are all booking through AAA and our travel agent stated that AirTran was $150 to $200 cheaper a person at the time over US Airways.

We flew our first trip with US Airways (Philly) and had no problems with the flight. We did get stuck in customs at MBJ though for around an hour and a half, which sucked.

Second trip we flew Air Jamaica/Carribean Airlines and took the 6:00AM flight out of Philly and loved it. Early arrival, late departure. Sad that they pulled out of Philly because it appeared a good bit of people on the board from the area used that flight. We were on the beach by lunch time. I hope someone takes that flight over soon. I'll pay a little extra for a few hours of resort time. The difference in flight arrival times now between the US Airways early flight and AirTran flight is only around 30 to 45 minutes. Not enought time to warrant the extra money between the two flights.

Anyone want to pitch in and rent a 737 or A320 and join the trip?