Hybrid View

Default CTI Best Spots for Shopping

Hi everyone,

We will be visiting CTI for the first time at the end of July. I noticed on the activities schedule that the shopping trips go to a few different places. Does anyone have recommendations for which shopping location is best? We only plan to go shopping once and want to make the most of it. Thanks

Island Village is the area that we like- Margaritaville is there, Lobster Dave's is next door, the Harbor Shoppes and Taj Mahal area are very close- as is Sonny's Plaza. We have been to Ochi many, many times and feel comfortable walking around in the main drag area. We avoid the side streets and we avoid the trip to the Craft Market.....on the beach party night, gala night and during the day near the Logo shop, they set up tables selling local crafts- so if you are in to the crafts- just buy them on the resort property. We are going to CTI again in less than 2 weeks.....we always buy our spices, coffee and rum cream at the airport before we departure- less hassle in the long run. But I love to shop so we always spend in afternoon going from shop to shop in OCHI. Have fun,

Taj Majhal. It was a gated shopping center and the locals did not hassle us. We were able to get a lot of souvenirs. It was safe and a fun little excursion away from the resort.

Yep, the resort and the airport. We've been to Island Village and Taj Mahal and both were fine. They do stop at a little flea market on the way and the people can be a little pushy trying to get you into their hut where everything is the same as the hut before. Everyday, on the beach near the logo shop, they have a couple of vendors set up. The shopping trip is a great way to see some of Ocho Rios and if you are interested in Margaritaville, it is at Island Village.
    Vicky

Island Village is a ghost town since the new cruise port opened, FYI. The Puma store is about the only place you won't find at Sonny's or Taj Mahal.

We thought Island Village was a tad touristy. Taj Mahal is ok. We always take a walk down Main Street. About 4 or 5 blocks from there, is the big craft market- across the street from Sony Plaza. Across the parking lot from the craft market is a big grocery store that I always go into. A great place to purchase spices, BBQ sauce, Rum and other liquors, and other goodies you come across. The grocery is cheaper than purchasing at the airport and you have more variety, plus it's fun to just go up and down the aisles looking...next to the grocery is a complex of shops we just discovered last year. Going back there next month to check out the numerous stores that make up that complex. Whereever you go to shop, have a great time!

We love to take an afternoon and go shopping in Ochie. We just get a taxi from Couples so we can go as long as we like. It is $25 round trip and if you can find another couple that wants to go, you just split the price. The resort shuttle is only gone for 2 hours. We love Island Village and Tajmahal shopping centers and need more than 2 hours because we only go once during the week. We always get the best prices on Blue Mountain Coffee in town. If you are in the market for jewelry, they have great prices and selections, especially Tanzanite and Blue Diamonds, which you can hardly find in the US. We get our crafts from the vendors at the resort and our rum at the airport. We avoid the craft market. Have a great time.

Thanks, everyone! Great tips.

I agree there isn't much that you can't get at the gift shop, daily resort vendor, and airport...spend the day on the beach and forgo the shopping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith2078 View Post
    I agree there isn't much that you can't get at the gift shop, daily resort vendor, and airport...spend the day on the beach and forgo the shopping trip.
    My LE Citizen watch collection begs to differ! CTI used to have the jewelry shop on-site, but that is no more.

KrisJamie

After the remake of CTI that store is gone, if you want items like that you need to do trading places at CSS.

CTI does not carry watches anymore, just a limit selection of items. Most items are Jamaican MADE.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by jon1963 View Post
    KrisJamie

After the remake of CTI that store is gone, if you want items like that you need to do trading places at CSS.

CTI does not carry watches anymore, just a limit selection of items. Most items are Jamaican MADE.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

Please clarify? Did you misread my post?

Sorry KrisJamie, I didn't realize watches weren't as plentiful at the airport. I guess my post is more inline with your standard suvenior/liquor options.
    Eric & Rachael, New Braunfels TX
    CTI 2010
    CN/CTI 2011
    CTI 2012
    CTI 2013 (Gotta Love Early Booking Specials)

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith2078 View Post
    Sorry KrisJamie, I didn't realize watches weren't as plentiful at the airport. I guess my post is more inline with your standard suvenior/liquor options.
    There are only 2 stores there, so the price comparison/haggle game leaves some $$ on the table, but I 100% agree with anything Bob Marley branded as well as liquor at the airport.

Speaking of shopping, anyone else notice the shopping plaza going in on the way to CSS & CTI? It looks as though it may even have a small version of a big box store as an anchor.