Default Tropical Weather Scared Me! (Trip Canceled)

Well... Next week is our 10 year anniversary and I had booked a BFVS at CSA. Now I have canceled that and replaced it with a trip to Kauai. I am so sad right now I had worked myself up so much in looking forward to having an all inclusive trip and relaxing on the beach. Also it cost me more money and is not even AI.

Good new is I am looking at June 2012 for a make up.. It will be for her birthday... so the countdown begins again. 295 DAYS!

I was a little taken aback after I read this and looked at what the NHC has on their website regarding tropical storms. I have to admit I am a bit puzzled. I am not seeing anything that would have made me cautious, much less cancel.

You missed out!!! but as stated there is always next year..

60% thunderstorms everyday is not what I want for my anniversary vacation. I will just rebook during a sunnier time of year. If it was 30% chance everyday I could handle that.

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...-last-2-months

Really good thread on this very subject.

It's the Caribbean - it ALWAYS says 60% or greater chance of thunderstorms. Jamaica is a very lush and green country because it rains almost every day. Aruba (along with Bonaire and Curacao) is just about the only island in the Caribbean that is considered a desert island and is generally out of the hurricane belt.

We normally go to Negril in January, and that is the driest time of year statistically speaking in Negril (weather.com provides annual and monthly stats). Having said that, it still usually rains a few days during our trip, not typically an all day rain, but afternoon showers. Ocho Rios tends to be wetter overall than Negril (again, looking at the stats on Weather.com).

I agree with Spiff, I could see cancelling your trip if there was a tropical storm or hurricane in the forecast, but to cancel because there is a 60% chance of rain everyday means you will never go to the Caribbean because that's what the forecast always is. Even in January.

To the original poster...

If you don't want any rain, why in the world go to Hawaii? The weatherman doesn't show up until after the 10:30 morning showers are over!

If you want to go to the tropics and not have to worry about rain, I've got one word for you... Aruba... look it up.

If you want a tropical paradise with beautiful gardens, lots of sunshine, and ample rain (this is how a tropical paradise happens, btw...), then Jamaica (or Hawaii) is where you want to go.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

i am having a great time in Kauai and will come to Couples in June for my wires birthday now. Tropical storms were predicted and I wasn't chancing it. As I had said I am in Kauai and yes it has rained here but no tropical storms! So I was out $270 for travel insurance but it had proven to be so worth it. As I had said I will be there next June so now the countdown begins!

I know this is an old thread but just have to respond. We were there last year from the 19th of August to the 31st. The weather was AMAZING! We had one day of rain in the afternoon for about 2 hours. Other then that it was simply beautiful!! Low humidity, lots of sunshine and a nice breeze.

Of course at home on the East Coast there was Hurricane Irene and an earthquake!

Hawaii is nice but not as nice as Jamaica!

Isn't June one of the rainiest months? He might want to avoid hurricane season.

Quote Originally Posted by cdecker View Post
    60% thunderstorms everyday is not what I want for my anniversary vacation. I will just rebook during a sunnier time of year. If it was 30% chance everyday I could handle that.
    Oh gosh, 60% everyday, yes, but it only storms for 15 minutes and the rest of the day is beautiful and hot. It's almost like Florida weather. We were there in July 2011 and honestly, we couldn't of had better weather, I'll take the 15 minutes a day for the rest being beautiful. And it's usually clockwork, right around 1 pm, we just go for lunch and by the time we're done, so is the rain.

Damen

It's funny how folks run from the rain, which isn't much! and are in the pool all day! lol

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Rain time is always Nap time It lulls you to sleep at the most perfect time of day, then you're refreshed and ready to live it up some more.