Thread: CSS - Questions

Default CSS - Questions

Hello,
    We have been to CSA-x2 and CN, we LOVED them both. This September, we are headed to CSS and I'm just not sure. I've seen a lot of review and pictures about all of the steps on the resort. Can anyone tell me how the steps on property really are. Am I in for a big workout for my entire vacation? I'm a little worried about it.

Please help me put my worries to rest on this. I'm not lazy but I don't think I'll enjoy spending my whole vacation climbing stairs, if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JamGirl View Post
    Hello,
    We have been to CSA-x2 and CN, we LOVED them both. This September, we are headed to CSS and I'm just not sure. I've seen a lot of review and pictures about all of the steps on the resort. Can anyone tell me how the steps on property really are. Am I in for a big workout for my entire vacation? I'm a little worried about it.

Please help me put my worries to rest on this. I'm not lazy but I don't think I'll enjoy spending my whole vacation climbing stairs, if that is the case.
    The amount of stairs depends on what block you are staying in...if you are in buildings A & B, then the stairs are are not really a factor.

We stayed in G block and loved the view and the seclusion...but to get to the beaches and most of the facilities, you either have to navigate stairs or the sloped back road on the land side of blocks A & B to get to the beaches/pools.

We are considering a return next year and will look into G block again, the view and seclusion offset the stairs/hill in our view.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

It depends on whether you stay on the cliff suites or the beachfront suites. We prefer the cliffs because of the large balconies (G Block specifically) and the ocean views. It's also more quiet and feels more private. There are lots of stairs but there are 3 different routes you can take to get down to the beach/restaurant area, so along the way you will be so enthralled with the scenery that you won't notice the stairs if you take your time. I understand there is also a shuttle provided if you call and request it. We have no problem with the stairs. In fact, it seems to keep us from gaining weight from eating all the wonderful food.

If you are staying in Block A or B (Beachfront Suites) then you can mostly avoid steps except for dinners up on the hill. I think they still run a "shuttle" if you have problems with steps. If you are in one of the suites up on the hill then you are looking at more steps because the beach and restaurant for breakfast is down below. This is a hard question to address because it depends on your definition of "a big workout". If you are physically active then I don't see an issue. If you need knee replacement surgery then you may in for a long week if you are staying at a suite up on the hill and don't use the "shuttle". When we went, I had a damaged ankle that needed surgery and I got along fine (although I wound up bailing out on Dunns River half way through). Unless you have serious mobility issues (and even then you can take the shuttle), I believe you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JamGirl View Post
    Hello,

We stayed in G block which is as far as you can get from anywhere unless you stay in the Hibiscus cottage. I HATE stairs and frankly - after the first day I didn't notice a thing. There are stairs, but not steep stairs, a few gradual steps here, then a few there etc. It's spread out enough that it doesn't over tax you and unless you're in F or G I'm not sure you'd notice anyway. I also did notice I didn't gain any weight on vacation and I ate everything in sight. THAT has to be a bonus!
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Hi JamGirl,
    Don't let the steps scare you away from CSS. If you want to avoid most stairs, stay in a Beachfront Suite in Block A or B. You would be right next to the Main Pool, Main Beach, Palazzina, and the Beach Bar and Grill (in the evenings it becomes Bella Vista). The only time you would have to take lots of stairs is when you wanted to go to the Balloon Bar or the Lobby.

Just remember this is not a race. As you climb the stairs, slow down and take a deep breath, and enjoy your beautiful surroundings.....Be thankful you are in Paradise!

Also if you want additional reassurance, check out the post from MnK about her trip to CSS. She and her hubby had been to CN several times and were also worried about going to CSS--but they had an awesome time at CSS and will now alternate between the 2 resorts.

Have a great trip!
    suzyQ

We stayed at CN 3x before deciding to try Ocho again, we booked CSS.

There are a lot of steps but we booked "A" block and we loved that location. I think that I counted 125 steps up to the restaurant and they are stone. We like to go back to our room during the day for bathroom breaks instead of using the public restrooms. That would be difficult if you do not have a beachfront room. 2 of the 3 restaurants and the main pool are on the same level as the beachfront rooms.

You can call for a van to drive you up/down but the van takes you to the office, that can be some distance from your room and I would feel bad not tipping the driver because I was not in the habit of carrying any cash after we arrived.

The steps at CSS remind me of the steps at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef in St Thomas ( a lot of steps to get to the beach)

We enjoyed CSS but missed Negril and returned there after CSS but we are trying CTI in September.

You'll be fine. We have been to CN twice and spend the day at CSA. CSS is now our favorite. Yes, it's more spread out than CN and there are a lot of steps, but remember a lot of the time you are going down them instead of up. We were in a penthouse, so the last leg up was always a bit tiresome, but worth it when we got to the top!

Yes, there are a lot of steps- you can't avoid them, the resort is built in a cliffside area- personally I think it adds to the charm. Did we ever get tired of the steps? There were a few days that the walk up and down was tiresome, but I chalk it up to the fact that we were tired. Unless you have health issues- I really do not think you should be worried about the stairs....CSS is a gorgeous property. Have fun!!!!!

The steps are going as big a problem as you want them to be. My wife and I looked at them as a way to get a little exercise in. If you go to CSS with the notion that they won't be a problem, then they won't. We stayed in the Hibiscus Cottage and had to endure the steps several times a day, but no problem mon. It was only a 5-10 minute walk from Hibiscus Cottage to anywhere on the property. And the steps are not really all at once. I think the most at one time might be about 30.

Go, have fun and enjoy!!!

depends on which room you have booked. we were in b-block and only had to go up the stairs once a day to make dinner plans if we wanted to not eat at the beach grill. even if I had to go up/down the stairs each day it wouldn't have been awful, just be careful when leaving the room for the day if you don't care to go up/down often.

How many stairs you climb will depend on where your room is and what things you want to do around the resort. There are a few stairs but most healthy people won't have problems and may even enjoy them (i.e. after eating too much for dinner). There are lots of romantic places on the resort to explore and not that many stairs that it should ruin your visit. CSS is kind of like CN with stairs. Things you need are are pretty centrally located but with room to roam. If you didn't have a problem walking from the Cassava Terrace to the Piano Bar at CN then you shouldn't have a problem walking around CSS.

Don't worry and enjoy your visit!

Bart & Bug

JamGirl,

there are steps at CSS, the resort is built into the landscape. If your rooms is down at the beach you wont really climb the stairs unless you go to the spa and to the lobby area.

However, if you are requesting a penthouse suite you will be toward the top of the resort. My husband and I always book suites so we are using the stairs at least twice a day. It really isn't that bad, I dont mind and it isn't that bad.

You will find there is more than one way to get to where you need to go, some ways have less stairs. But honestly, the stairs aren't that bad, you wont feel like you are climbing a mountain.

Hope this helps. CSS is our favorite.

Hey JamGirl-We have been to CSS twice, and planning our third trip. We truly feel like this is our 2nd home. Yes, there are alot of steps, but this never caused any problems or concerns for us. We are in our mid 40's, I am a daily exerciser, however, the hubby is not and he never let the steps/terrain ruin his time there. The breakfast and lunch restaurant is next to the Beachfront Suites, without any steps to and from, so you may want to consider staying in one of those. Hope this helps your decision!

Don't worry! I am embarrassingly out of shape and the steps are not a problem. There is always a different route to take, things to see, hammocks to check out, pictures to take. We stay in the Beachfront Suites and often take the road behind the buildings when we need to get to the top...no steps...okay a hill instead! If all else fails there is an elevator back by the spa.

The beautiful thing about CSS is there are lots of paths in between the steps, so you are able to find short cuts. We also would walk along the road as well as sometimes that was quicker. We saw the staff walking up and down the steep hills and not even be out of breathe! I found that the first steps of the morning (from the beach to the mineral pool) were the toughest and after that no worries

Hi...
    we just got back from CSS yesterday and the stairs are sooo not an issue. It's not set up so that you are walking endless stairs-you walk some stairs and then there is a flat path. We were in D block but walked all over the resort without any problems. Sometimes, after eating too much, I found it good to walk the stairs. An added bonus is that the resort has hammocks everywhere! My husband and I called them our rewards. We would walk some stairs then lay in a hammock as a reward! The resort is truly beautiful and you will be rejuvenated after staying there!

The stairs were fine. Really if your in A or B they are a non issue, since they only time you would have to use them is if you wanted to go up to the lobby/Casanova. You coud eat at pallazina, bella vista, and go to the main beach and main pool, (and the AN beach) and never have to go up the stairs!
    But everyday we walked and did the stairs, and like previous posters said, its actually kind of a releif to have some excercise after all that awesome food!

We have stayed in D, F and G Blocks. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these locations. Yes, there are stairs, but with the way the resort is layed out, the stairs are well worth the walk. You will enjoy exploring all of the nooks and crannies, pools, hammocks and the beautiful tropical gardens. To limit your walking, you could request A, B, or C Block.

You will love this resort! We are returning to CSA next April to enjoy the Negril side. We will continue to to vacation at both CSA and CSS. You will not regret booking your trip to CSS!

There are a lot of steps at CSS. I am not someone who is in great physical shape and as long as I took my time and had on the correct footwear I was okay with all the steps. We stayed in block B and the one night we were all dressed up for dinner for the Casanove restaurant we did call for the shuttle to take us up the hill.

No problem, mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!