Default First Timer Going To CN With the Right Expectations

I want to start off with thanking this message board for all the insightful, wonder information that has been posted on here. Iím a newbie to Couples Negril and will be traveling for the first time to Jamaica for my weddingmoon the first week of August. Iíd never heard of Couples before starting my search on wedding/honeymoon locations this past February. Since then, Iíve devoured this board for all the information I need. I donít think there has been a question that I had in my mind that I wasnít able to find an answer for by simply putting my question in the search bar. Iíve not felt the need to ask a question on here because I can easily find the answer.

With all that being said, I wanted to make a few comments that a reviewer posted on TA titled ď2nd Visit to Couples Ė Very Disappointed!Ē Every complaint this poster had is valid to them, and rightfully so Ė but simply because they did not do their due diligence and research all aspects of their trip before going. Iím a researcher by nature, and anything I do that is new, I research in great detail because I have a need to know EVERYTHING! Iíll be a first timer going with the right expectations, so I expect no disappointment in my stay.

Beachfront Suite Ė they were very upset because it had a view of the nude beach. They were also upset that their 2nd room as not ready until AFTER 4. And also, that the beach view is not exactly ideal since the rooms are faced at an angle. Iíve read so many posts regarding that some of the best views of the beach are nearest the nude beach. I know that the buildings face at an angle, and most likely Iíll need to step out on my balcony to get a view. I understand you can request a change if there are other rooms available. I fully expect that I may have to wait since people are constantly checking in. I will have my swimsuit in my carryon bag in case there is a delay. Thereís no need to delay the start of my vacation while waiting for a room. No problem moní.

Honeymoon Package Ė they were asked if they were on their honeymoon at check-in. But because they were there for 4 nights, they were not able to get the package because of Couples ďstupid policyĒ. I know from reading the Couples website (and before I even came to the MB) that you have to stay a minimum of 6 nights to get the package. Iíll be there for 7, so I get enjoy the Couples ďwonderfulĒ policy of having something done special for my honeymoon.

Romance Rewards Package Ė they were told about the Romance Rewards program the next day of their arrival. They had stayed at another Couples in the past, and thought they could combine their current stay with their past stay to get the second tier of rewards. I know from reading this board (see a pattern here?) that you must have already completed your stay before the Romance Rewards kicks in. So I understand that if I am blessed to go back in the future after my first stay, that Iíll be able to enjoy the Romance Rewards on the next visit.

Dry Cleaning Ė I havenít researched that aspect because I donít expect to need dry cleaning. But I thought I saw that they do have cleaning services there, so Iím not sure what this person was expecting when they did their ďTrash the DressĒ photo shoot and she couldnít get her dress dry cleaned after that.

Like I stated, I do believe their complaints were valid for them because they simply did not know. Iím going with the right expectations because of all of you, who are so patient to answer the same questions time and time again to us newbies. I know what to expect when I get the airport (Iíve already filled out my Immigration form to use as reference when I fill out the original one on the plane, with my own black pen of course), I know who to tip, how much to tip based on which service is provided to me Ė and to not worry about tipping at the resort as Iíve paid for that in my fee (except for the Spa staff, who I expect to use from my HONEYMOON PACKAGE). I know how long it will take to get to the resort, and what to expect at check-in. Iíll be anxiously awaiting my cool towel and glass of champagne. I know what to wear, when to wear it and to schedule most activities as soon as I get there.

So thanks to all you repeaters for keeping the message board alive!!

Arrive to CN Ė August 1, 2012
    Wedding Ė August 4, 2012

Congratulations!!! You've done your research and you will have a wonderful time at one of the most romantic places I've ever been to.
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

Excellent post! Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this "review". All this person needed to do was read a little bit more....everything is in the FAQ's!

I wish you a wonderful life together and a FABULOUS Weddingmoon ;-)

Congrats on the marriage and I wish you and your spouse a lifetime of happiness. my wife and I arrive the day b4 you and are renewing our wedding vows on the 3rd on the beach at 2 it is our 10 yr anniversary. We like you have done all the searching and pre planning to try and have the best trip possible. When I came across reviews like what you saw I take it with a grain of salt, I know there are some that you just cant make happy, me and my wife however will have no issue with that. It will be " no problem mon" the entire trip.
    If ya see a white guy with feet on his chest ( you will know what I mean when you see ) long goatee and close to no hair on my head stop by and say hi.

It's good to be a researcher. I do it rather excessively before vacations. That being said, too much research can have an adverse effect and get you really wound up and sort of "tunnel-visioned" prior to your trip. My best advice is to do the things you want to do, but don't get too dead set before your trip on the things you MUST do or sign up for right away, because the best way to experience Couples and Jamaica is to hurry up and slow down. The quicker you adopt the free-flowing, no worries attitude, the better the experience will be. Good luck at your wedding! You couldn't have picked a better place!
    Last edited by dank120; July 18th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

I am so glad that you did your research. I saw this as well. I did not really agree that they valid complaints because what they were wanting was the resort to change their policies just for them. The fact that she would point out that they paid as much for 4 nights in the beachfront suite as a garden room for 6 nights tells me right there that even if they had done the research they would have not been happy.

Sorry just had to vent there for a moment. Congratulations on your marriage, I do wish you many, many years of happiness. You will love CN it is beautiful. We arrive on the 2nd of August for our 9th trip, 17 days - not that I am counting or anything. It is great to go with the "no worries, I am on vacation" frame of mind. For me, there is a huge sigh of happiness when I hit the lounge at the airport. And the world just disappears when I step foot in the lobby, walk over to the rail and gaze out over the pool, the swim up bar and then the blue, blue Caribbean. It is heaven.

If you see a guy with mermaids, fish and lizards sitting with a blonde, please stop and say hello, the drinks are on him.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

takhol - you sound like a seasoned vet already! Keep the great attitude! You will LOVE CN! Is it for everyone? NOPE! And I'm glad it's not, because it IS for me! Relax, smile and maybe, just maybe put on your birthday suit and enjoy the AN side! We are making our third trip to CN this Sept and can't wait.
    Lucy

I love the amount of research you've already done. On our first trip my wife asked if it really was my first time there since I new so much about the place. Great minds think alike. You are prepared for a terrific weddingmoon at a terrific resort.

Quote Originally Posted by takhol View Post
    Romance Rewards Package Ė they were told about the Romance Rewards program the next day of their arrival. They had stayed at another Couples in the past, and thought they could combine their current stay with their past stay to get the second tier of rewards. I know from reading this board (see a pattern here?) that you must have already completed your stay before the Romance Rewards kicks in. So I understand that if I am blessed to go back in the future after my first stay, that Iíll be able to enjoy the Romance Rewards on the next visit.
    There is one small piece that you have missed about Romance Rewards. There is one perk available to first time visitors if they sign up for Romance Rewaqrds ahead of time. If you are signed up for Romance Rewards prior to your CN visit, you may visit CSA for a day through the "Trading Places" program. A bus will take you from CN to CSA at 9:45 AM, Monday, Wednesday or Friday. You will be bussed back to CN at 4:00 PM. If you want to return earlier, you will have to arrange for a taxi. Sign up for Trading Places in advance at the Guest Relations desk in CN's lobby. The trip is limited to 10 couples per day and you may do it once per stay. You will have access to all of CSA's facilities as long as they do not require a reservation. It's a great way to have a look at CSA and Long Bay. We treat it as an excursion. If your trip is Saturday to Saturday, I'd suggest signing up for the Monday or Wednesday Trading Places trip (as opposed to waiting for Friday). That way, if the weather is poor, you can cancel and reschedule for another day.

If staying at CN you can trade with CSA and vice versa. On the Ocho Rios side you can trade between CSS and CTI. You can not "trade places" between resorts located in Negril with resorts located in Ocho Rios.

I hope this helps your research.

Have a great time!
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    My best advice is to do the things you want to do, but don't get too dead set before your trip on the things you MUST do or sign up for right away, because the best way to experience Couples and Jamaica is to hurry up and slow down. The quicker you adopt the free-flowing, no worries attitude, the better the experience will be. Good luck at your wedding! You couldn't have picked a better place!
    Oh, I plan on taking things as they come for sure! But there are activities I can't WAIT to try, like the catamaran cruise and possibly some type of water sport. And I'll be making reservations for the nice restaurant. Other than that, I'm looking forward to chilling and being with my honey while eating all I want - and not being the one to have to cook it or clean up!

If you are planning on scuba, do it early. You are not allowed to fly within 24 hours after a dive.

Many years ago, I did the resort course and dive. It was fantastic!
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Oh, I plan on taking things as they come for sure! But there are activities I can't WAIT to try, like the catamaran cruise and possibly some type of water sport. And I'll be making reservations for the nice restaurant. Other than that, I'm looking forward to chilling and being with my honey while eating all I want - and not being the one to have to cook it or clean up!
    Oh yeah, definitely do the cat cruise, it's always one of the highlights of our trip, and the dinner reservation is a must, but you can book that only a day in advance. You will soon see this when you get there, but there are a lot of activities and excursions that do not require advanced sign-up. The Sunset Bar Shuttle, Shopping Excursion, Margaritaville, exercise classes, hobie cats, kayaks, paddleboards do not require sign-up. You just show up and enjoy. They do offer lessons for some of those watersports at one time in the morning and one time in the afternoon (like 9:30a and 1p or so), but quite often, if you show up and the guys are just hanging out, one of them will usually break off and help show you how to use the equipment. The watersports guys are our favorite staff at the resort. The main things to sign up for are the cat cruise, snorkel trips, scuba diving, and Otaheite.

If you've never gone scuba diving before, this is something you should look into. The intro class is free, and only takes from roughly 8:30a-11:30a one day.

As for the cooking and cleaning, you're gonna be soooo spoiled!!!

Wow! I'm trying not to contradict my original post, but I'm getting super excited for you! Only 13 days!!! We don't get back until May... I don't know how I'm gonna make it!

I know who to tip, how much to tip based on which service is provided to me Ė and to not worry about tipping at the resort as Iíve paid for that in my fee (except for the Spa staff, who I expect to use from my HONEYMOON PACKAGE). I know how long it will take to get to the resort, and what to expect at check-in. Iíll be anxiously awaiting my cool towel and glass of champagne. I know what to wear, when to wear it and to schedule most activities as soon as I get there.
    i think maybe you should create a CN What to Expect Guide with all your research. We actually arrive August 1st as well. First timers too. Can't wait until August!

I know who to tip, how much to tip based on which service is provided to me Ė and to not worry about tipping at the resort as Iíve paid for that in my fee (except for the Spa staff, who I expect to use from my HONEYMOON PACKAGE). I know how long it will take to get to the resort, and what to expect at check-in. Iíll be anxiously awaiting my cool towel and glass of champagne. I know what to wear, when to wear it and to schedule most activities as soon as I get there.
    Perhaps you should create an all-inclusive What-to-expect at CN Guide? i could probably use it. We arrive on August 1st as well for our first time to CN or even Jamaica. Since we're going to be there for your wedding, are we supposed to bring a gift?
    Looking forward to August.

ok so looks like
    Blondie
    Sampstar
    Takhol
    And me will all be stayin at CN and arriving between the 31 of july and the 2nd of Aug. 3 of us are first timers and 2 of us are doing wedding things my wife and I renew our vows on the 3rd and then on the 4th takhol is getting married.
    I am easy to spot im a white guy with several tattoo's feet on my chest most notice, got very short hair on my head and long on my chin,and will most likely have a drink in my hand or in my face LoL Ill try and keep the drinks cold for everyone when they arrive, first round is on me hehe 11 more days and im there woohoo

I am a Couplesholic, especially for CN, but as I will always say, even in paradise a little rain must fall. My way of reminding myself that nothing will be perfect all the time. I researched the heck out of everything before our first trip in 2009 and have not missed a year since then. My wife asked how I knew so much and then said never mind I forgot how much you research. You already have the right expectations and you are going to have the time of your life. The only thing you must remember and none of us can do a thing about is the weather, and then remember even in paradise a little rain must fall, how the heck else would everything stay so lush and green.