Default We hate to 'settle', but...

Hi all. It's been some time since last visiting on the MB. We were last at CSS in Dec of 11 and are trying to make yet another couples trip. The hold up is, I guess, airfare. The trip to JM is pricing outside of our budget. With things like they are, I hate the idea of going into debt to end up at the perfect place. The result is preparing to 'settle' for a non-couples, non-Jamaica warm weather spot for Jan or Feb. We can't imagine what it'll be, but rates at the resorts keep going up, which I completely understand. I also understand higher air prices. Can find good air to Mexico, but we went to the same resort there over a dozen times and we're just tired of MX.

Has anyone found a charter company or a Delta program from the midwest (MO) that prices out well? For us to go to CSS again, it's gonna be about $4k for the both of us. Not that much in our budget. I'll watch MB for any fabulous ideas that might be shared. I don't think staying home is an option we want to think about!

Don't know if you have AirTran flying out from your area, but the last couple years we have been able to get a more fair price from them. It is a little nerve wracking because they don't put out the fares as early as everyone else but for us they have always been worth the wait.

I did research on Kayak and fly.com before I booked our flights last month from WI to JA in early Dec. I actually booked overnight flights from a small regional airport, and got them for 1016 for the two tickets. We usually went to Minneapolis ( 3 1/2 hour drive), and ended up getting a hotel the night before. I also am a small town girl who HATES driving the big cities, so we would take a shuttle from a local town an hour away from us so we did not have the stress (for me any way) of driving in the city. So in the end the cost of the two hotels came to about what we always spent anyway. And, with my husbands COPD, not having to spend as much time at once in the airport/airplane will be much more relaxing.
    Check out these sights, and you may have to be flexible on the types of flights. Hopefully you can find something within your price range.
    Linda

I am hip to your problem. We are again planning (booked at CSA already) for next June and will be watching prices for air travel for the next several months to book flights later. We too are flying out of Missouri and the midwest seems to be the worst place for "special" pricing to the Caribbean. Try putting a price watch on some of the travel sites on the web. Also keep an eye on things through the ITA site (google it). Our trip to CSA this past year went up to 4K also but we could maybe have saved a few bucks on air if we had been more patient (air was about 1400 this year on Delta). We will keep watching and open a thread for Mo travelers if we come up with something worth reporting.

Good luck!

We have flown Air Tran the last two trips. We drive an hour to a Dayton, OH even though we live 15 minutes from CVG. But for the drive, we were able to fly business class for the same price as Delta coach out of CVG. Last year we did the coach flight out of Dayton. Both trips the flights were great and arrive to MoBay early. Also flying out of Dayton, we get earlier flights. If we flew out of CVG we wouldn't get into MoBay until around 1-2. Out of Dayton, we get into MoBay at 11:00 am. We have also flown out of Louisville, 1 1/2 hours from home. It was cheaper to drive down, spend the night and fly out, again with earlier flights.

So, check around and if you can drive to a smaller airport, check it out.
    Vicky

Have you tried a travel agency? I found a great deal for our stay through a TA. Flight isn't yet available for our trip but this lady said she will prove out travel packages for us once they become available.

we booked direct from Springfield MO to MoBay for close to 550.00 per person, went thru priceline- but AirTran thru Kansas City (MCI) is very cheap right now, if you dont mind the drive to kc. mike

Take a look at www.funjet.com and then google for discount codes. You can usually find codes for $200.-$300.00 additional off the prices. Funjet buys air in bulk, kind of like a charter so sometimes you will be able to get a better deal.

Always keep an eye on the Wednesday specials!! Check air fare often, late at night and CLEAR your COOKIES on your computer after each time you check fares!!

We are flying out from Kansas City, and while I couldn't find any great prices on Expedia-type websites, booking on the Couples website with our resort reservation gave us some kind of discount so the tickets only ended up being about 500 each. We do have two layovers, which is no fun, but the price can't be beat!

Wow, $1400 for airfare! That's awful. Find a way to JFK in new York! $750 total, round trip, nonstop for two! Less than 4 hours and you are there. That really is terrible for you guys. Hope
    Some deal comes your way!

use Yapta to let it monitor your trip and Yapta will email you when the prices go up/down.

Worked for us, saved a few $$ but then I booked on 8% reduction and it went down 20% but then it went back up again.

We live in the texas panhandle so I definately feel your pain. We fly Southwest to Dallas or drive to dallas to keep our airfare at the astronomical area. Flying from our hometown is close to $1800. So you might check if you can get a ding special to somewhere like philly or north carolina. You may get a better deal that way.... Good luck with your travels.

Thanks for the insight. We do fly from Springfield (SGF) and for the past 5 or 6 trips, Delta has the best rates & schedule. Great price on AA if you want to spend a night in Dallas on the way down1 We have used the same TA for over 30 years...she's wonderful and actually found a way for us to save $ and not have to deal with the long drive to a bigger airport. New to the mix is the Branson (MO) airport. They had Air Tran, but now it's AT/SW. The last time I checked, their only AM flight to ATL arrived after the Jamaica flight was gone - required an overnight. We'll probably use Delta again, just because of the schedule and we have a bunch of Delta Bump-Bucks to use up. I am waiting to find out if we can use the Delta vouchers if the TA does the booking. As I wait & shop, I find myself wanting to spend more than I should just to go back to CSS. I guess that's how it's supposed to work.

We are going to CTI in December, flying out of Kansas City. Airfare out of here is usually astronomical. As soon as the rates were published for the days we were traveling, I started digging through every website to try to find the best deal. We ended up booking with Delta in Febrauary for our flight this December. We are going through ATL (overnight, but puts us in Montego Bay by noon) and spent $1429 for 2 tickets. That was the cheapest I could find for the flight times we wanted. Since then, they've only gone up. My suggestion is book your flights as early as possible.

Where in WI are you? We also have a 3.5 hour drive to MSP or we flew in June out of MKE (it was $100 cheaper per person). I love finding other Couples people from WI!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    I did research on Kayak and fly.com before I booked our flights last month from WI to JA in early Dec. I actually booked overnight flights from a small regional airport, and got them for 1016 for the two tickets. We usually went to Minneapolis ( 3 1/2 hour drive), and ended up getting a hotel the night before. I also am a small town girl who HATES driving the big cities, so we would take a shuttle from a local town an hour away from us so we did not have the stress (for me any way) of driving in the city. So in the end the cost of the two hotels came to about what we always spent anyway. And, with my husbands COPD, not having to spend as much time at once in the airport/airplane will be much more relaxing.
    Check out these sights, and you may have to be flexible on the types of flights. Hopefully you can find something within your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by btb079 View Post
    Where in WI are you? We also have a 3.5 hour drive to MSP or we flew in June out of MKE (it was $100 cheaper per person). I love finding other Couples people from WI!
    We actually live in Loyal, a very small town about 20 miles from Marshfield (north west), or about 60 miles west of Wausau. Where are you from? I too like to find others from Wisconsin.

It is about 45 min to an hour for us to go to CWA (Mosinee). That is where we are flying out of this year. Minneapolis is 3-3 1/2 hours and Milwaukee is 3 1/2 to 4 hours, but I have family in Germantown and Menomonee Falls so that is why we checked there as well.
    Linda

We are from Holmen, about 15 minutes north of La Crosse. How many times have you vacationed at Couples? It was our first year, we've been back a month and I am already counting down until we can go back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    We actually live in Loyal, a very small town about 20 miles from Marshfield (north west), or about 60 miles west of Wausau. Where are you from? I too like to find others from Wisconsin.

It is about 45 min to an hour for us to go to CWA (Mosinee). That is where we are flying out of this year. Minneapolis is 3-3 1/2 hours and Milwaukee is 3 1/2 to 4 hours, but I have family in Germantown and Menomonee Falls so that is why we checked there as well.

We leave Monday 7/16/12 and originally we bought tickets on Airtran for $1255 (for 2) and would fly out of Dayton OH although we live approximately 20 minutes from CVG airport, but I had to change my trip from 7/9/12 to 7/16/12 due to work so I had to change my airtran ticket which would have cost me $1800 total, I went online June 20th to US Airways and found tickets leaving CVG for $1150......weird since I was within the 4 weeks of travel so I cancelled the Airtran ticket (costing me $150) but I am glad that I dont have to drive the 1 hour to Dayton which i hated when we returned from Jamaica @ middnight and had that dreadful 1 hour to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by btb079 View Post
    We are from Holmen, about 15 minutes north of La Crosse. How many times have you vacationed at Couples? It was our first year, we've been back a month and I am already counting down until we can go back!
    This year will be our 5th trip. We always go the first week in December-. It gets us out of the cold, huricane season is finished, and we can reconnect before we disconnect for the Christmas rush, and when I go back to H&R as a taxpreparer (which means we hardley see each other for those 3 months). We have only been to CSS and love it there.

I know what you mean about being back and counting down until you go again. I am counting down to Dec 1, and also have our hotel booked for 2013.
    Linda

Well, we took the step and booked CSS for January. Still using my travel agent...she earned her keep as usual. Best flights & prices from smaller, hometown airport (SGF) via Delta. Able to use Bounce Bucks which helped a little. All in all, the price was about $400 more than last time, so it is something we can handle. Thought about having to 'settle' for somewhere else or another brand, but heck, this is why we get up and go to work every day. Leaving on 1/19, there for a week, anyone want to golf with a duffer? I go for the beer, suck at the game, but have a blast.