Hybrid View

Default CSS- Questions before I leave?

I will be arriving at CSS on July 28 with the love of my life . I have several questions that i need answered prior since this will be our first visit to Jamaica and out of the states.

1.) A friend of ours wants us to bring back some type of alcohol, how do we bring this back? (carry on or checked bags) Where do we get local alcohol to bring back to the states?

2.) When we go through customs do they look at both our carry on and checked bags? ( i know i should know this)

3.) Can we bring pesticide in our luggage, my fiancee breaks out with insect bites?

4.) Is there anything suggested we bring that is a necessity?

I am so excited for our trip to CSS....i am counting day for real now....starting to pack

1-You can bring back I believe 2 litres each on alcohol,(check the custom's forms) but if you buy it on the resort it will have to be packed in check luggage as it will not get through security (1-3-3 rule). You can get alcohol at the resort, on the shopping trip, or many get it at the airport. If you get it at the airport, you can carry it on you flight out of Jamaica, but if you have a connecting flight in the states you will then have to put it into your checked luggage before you go back through security.
    2-I have never had customs look into any of my bags, just the form we handed them.
    3- We would bring the Off Wipes. Never had a problem with them. We also never had a problem with bug bites.
    4 -Sun tan lotion is the one thing I would say to bring plenty of.

You will have a great time at CSS, welcome to the Couples family.
    Linda

Its just way easier to pick up at the airport when you leave. I found the shopping excursion, all the alcohol was the same price. You can buy rum at the shops at CSS. Rum cream seems to be the in thing at the moment.
    Sometimes they look, sometimes not but all the bags get scanned. And they have very good eyes when it comes to things you shouldnt have. They found a lighter I thought I had lost weeks before my vacation. Confiscated at Sangster. One lighter only.
    You can bring bug spray, I normally leave what is left, (we never use it) and I bring the pump spray in a plastic bag.
    Necessity- bring your girlie stuff. I have not seen any around Jamaica and have no intentions of asking for that either!

More questions....

5.) Has anyone done the dinner on the beach or gazebo, would you say it was worth it?

6.) Water sports? which ones cost and is there anywhere online to see how much before we leave on Friday?

Ok i think that was it....i thought of these questions in church today :-)

Quote Originally Posted by npinkne View Post
    More questions....

5.) Has anyone done the dinner on the beach or gazebo, would you say it was worth it?

6.) Water sports? which ones cost and is there anywhere online to see how much before we leave on Friday?

We did the dinner in the wedding gazebo on our anniversary, and it was WONDERFUL!!! It was actually the night of the gala, and we wanted something more private and special for our tenth anniversary. THe food was great, and our waiter Kovell was awesome. It actually stormed and rained, and we got to watch it over the ocean, while staying dry! We wouldnt do it everytime we go, but it was awesome for a special night!

We did not do any water sports that cost money while we were there, but I think there is a fee for scuba diving? Some others will know better

More questions....

We did a dinner on the beach when we were at CN and my husband commented that it didn't feel as "private" for him as we thought it would. You still had people walking around the resort etc. At CSS, the gazebos were more tucked away and private so I would go that route. It was good food and they provided a customized menue that made a great momento. If you have resort credits, it's an easy way to make it feel "free".

As for the water sports, snorkeling, hobby cats, glass bottom boat, all free. The only thing you'd pay for would be night snorkeling or if you wanted to become scuba certified. I'm not aware of where to find the cost, but I believe it was in the $25/ person range for night snorkeling.

1. Checked only unless you are on a direct flight and buy duty free at the airport
    2. We have never been stopped but yes they can look at anything they want
    3. What kind of pesticide? Off is fine in checked bags
    4. Everyone has their own priorities of what a necessity is - check the packing list thread for some suggestions

Amy

I have a great packing list. I could email it to you if you are interested in it!

Quote Originally Posted by klas54 View Post
    I have a great packing list. I could email it to you if you are interested in it!
    Would you e-mail me a copy to? I would greatly appreciate it, I have a note book started with tips and hints and forget-me-nots for our 25th anniversary trip, and our first time to a Couples resort next Oct, CSS 2013.
    Brenda

That would be greatly appreciated....please do so npinkney123@gmail.com Thanks so much!!!

I would love a copy of that list too, if you don't mind. My wife and I are making our first trip to CSS (and Jamaica for that matter) for our 10th Anniversary and I just don't want to miss anything! davisjames1946@att.net. Thanks!

27 days and counting!

Jim

We leave in 1 week, could you please email it to me at goofyernurse@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!
    Kelle

Whoops, our e-mail is ridgways@mac.com
    Thanks!

Be bought tons of alcohol at the airport. It's convenient and the prices were great. The have a limit (mabye 2 bottles per person, can't remember) but rum cream doesn't qualify and I suggest getting plenty of Sangsters while you're there because you can't get it in the states. You can obviously carry it on from the airport there (your bags will already be checked) but if you don't have a direct flight home, I hear that TSA in the US will make you put it in your checked bags so be sure that won't be an issue for you.

We have never had customs even check our bags. Chances are, you won't be bringing home enough of anything for it to matter anyway.

Yes, bring some bug spray. If it's a larger bottle (over 3 oz.) you have to put it in your checked bag.

Bring a great attitude and lots of high SPF sunblock and you'll be happy, happy, happy!

1) You can bring back alcohol in your checked bags. You cannot bring it back to the US in your carry on as it exceeds the liquid amt allowed. You can also purchase duty free at the airport, after going through security, and bring that alcohol on board as a carry on.
    2) Customs may or may not look through your bags and it may be either carry on or checked.
    3) I wouldn't bring pesticides across borders. People do bring insect repellant - if its more than 3oz, it needs to be checked (check TSA guidlines on that)http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
    4) Bring love and a laid back attitude and you will really enjoy your vacation.

Also, sorry if this seems dated - either no one else answered or no one updated the MB since your post.

What time does the my open?

1. I am sure the staff at the resort could tell you good places to get local alcohol. They may sell it at the gift shop (I can't remember for sure). Or you could get some at the duty free shop at the airport. If you get it at the duty free shop, you should be able to take it carry-on (or it will be delievered to the plane). Otherwise I beleive you will have to put it in checked bags because it's a liquid.

2. They can search both, either one, or neither. Depends on how lucky you are.

3. I usually bring bug "spray" wipes. But I'm sure you could bring the actual spray. Just follow the rules for liquids in your baggage.

4. Swimsuit (unless you plan on being AN the entire time). Something dressier for dinner. Sunscreen.

I will be arriving at CSS on July 28 with the love of my life . I have several questions that i need answered prior since this will be our first visit to Jamaica and out of the states.

1.) A friend of ours wants us to bring back some type of alcohol, how do we bring this back? (carry on or checked bags) Where do we get local alcohol to bring back to the states?

I SUGGEST PURCHASING YOUR ALCOHOL AT THE AIRPORT ON YOUR RETURN TRIP HOME. THERE IS ALCOHOL IN THE GIFT SHOP AT CSS AND ALSO IN OCHO RIOS IF YOU DO THE SHOPPING EXCURSION.

2.) When we go through customs do they look at both our carry on and checked bags? ( i know i should know this)

YOU CANNOT TAKE LARGE LIQUIDS THROUGH THE BAGGAGE CHECK, BUT CAN PURCHASE LIQUORS AFTER YOU ARE THROUGH CUSTOMS AND SECURITY. THEN SIMPLY CARRY IT ON THE PLANE IN A BOX, BAG, CARRY-ON.

3.) Can we bring pesticide in our luggage, my fiancee breaks out with insect bites?

MY WIFE TOOK "OFF BOTANICAL" WIPES WHICH WORKED PRETTY WELL FOR HER LEGS WHILE WE WERE WALKING AND DINING NEAR SAND IN THE EVENINGS. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY BUG BITES THAT I KNOW OF.

4.) Is there anything suggested we bring that is a necessity?

SUN SCREEN! THE SUN WAS HOT AND IT WAS VERY HUMID LAST WEEK DURING OUR STAY (JULY 14-21).

I am so excited for our trip to CSS....i am counting day for real now....starting to pack
    HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!

Howard

You will have an amazing time! We got back on July 14th from our first (but for sure not last!) trip to CSS.
    1) best place to buy liquor is in the airport on your way home. They have multiple duty free places, and it is cheapest. BEcause its after security you put it in your carry on. They pack it VERY well, but The only bad part is if you have a connection in the states, then you have to put it in your checked luggage (which you have to claim anyways). Because you go back through security to get on your connecting flight.

2) They dont look at your bags through customs, you have to declare the stuff on you forms. But Im sure they do look at some of the bags, so we were honest.

3) We took 100 % deet because Im highly allergic to bug bites, didnt have a problem

4) Take TONS of sunscreen. We took 3 bottles of the spray stuff for our five day stay, and RAN OUT. The spray goes really fast when you are reapplying and doing every inch of your body. I would suggest a combo of spray/lotion. If you over pack it so what, its 15 bucks in the gift shop, so next time we are taking a bottle per day.

I bring four bottles of rum cream back from Jamaica every time we go.

The custom rules (as of this past March) were:

1.) 2 1-liter bottles duty free per adult.
    2.) 1 of the bottles must be locally sourced.

I buy it at the airport and they will pack it for carry-on. Never had an issue with US customs.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014
    ??? - 2015

My wife & i just returned from SS one long month ago, but it was our first trip anywhere & we were celebrating our 25th anniversary as well. First off let me say, let all your concerns and reservations slip away. You will have a wonderful time-they will make sure of it!!! If you have any questions, concerns, or needs, don't hesitate to ask. They will take care of it for you. As all the other posts have already said-you should purchase your alcohol at the airport before you come home. It is so much easier to deal with there and they have good prices as well. You will have to check it if you have a connecting flight as everyone has already mentioned. Also, we were able to find insect repellant in a wipe format to make it easier to carry. I was really nervous about customs before we traveled-hearing all the horror stories-but everything went smoothly. It actually took more time to get back into the country than going through customs at Jamaica.

As for the private dinner, we didn't do it and heard mixed reviews for others who had done it before. I don't believe that you would ever regret doing it though. As for us, we simply went to the Cassanova restaurant for our special meal. You have to make reservations and it is a classy 5 course meal. You can even sit out on the balcony for your meal if its not too hot and watch the sunset over the ridge. Really consider going to the all resort galas/dinners. We were fortunate enough to be on the resort for 2 of them and they both were amazing. The food is great, the entertainment in amazing, and you get a chance to meet other couples. We are not real out going people but we met some awesome couples from Kansas and the UK.

Now, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen as everyone has told you, but I didn't thing the prices at the gift shop were too bad so you could purchase at the resort if you need room in your luggage. One thing that we did wrong was packed way too many cloths & thats coming from someone who went with only carry-ons. You won't need near as many as you think.

A must have that you can't forget that I did is a ink pen for your flight. Both of you will have to complete paperwork to get into Jamaica and back into the US before they will let you off the plane. Unfortunately, our flight only had about 10 ink pens to share for all the passengers. Really nerve racking at the time. I was told to take one but forgot in all the excitement of leaving.

Once again, just relax and enjoy yourself. It will all work out great and you will be planning your return trip before you ever leave. By the time you get home, you will be fighting a small bout of depression wishing you could go back right now.

The only caution is to be ready for all the steps, but they help keep you from gaining so much weight from all the great food you will eat while your their.

Sorry for the book, but I know how nervous we were before we left. Hope this helps.

I would love to have your packing list! We leave for CSS in 46 days! Loved reading your review! Thanks a bunch!

Anamarie
    Amer003@aol.com