Default TSA question...looking for a little help

Hello All,
    Newbie here with another question. First, let me say I have read the TSA site info on this but I am still looking to hear some personal experiences on this one.

My Hubby takes an all natural holistic medication for his Gout. It is Tart Cherry Juice. Although he can do without it while we are at CSS I would prefer he not have to. I don't want to risk a Gout attack on our vacation and ruin our time. (Yes it would ruin the trip as his attacks can be disabling at times). Anyway, it has to be refrigerated so I am wondering if I can freeze it and pack it in my carry on and make it through TSA. I only need to bring about 6 ounces so I can split that in two 3 ounce bottles and keep that in the required zip loc.

What do you guys think? It will look like cough syrup, very dark in color and very thick.

Thanks in advace for your wise imput!

PS - 22 days until we are relaxing at CSS!!!!

I would think as long as it is in the 3 oz. containers in the quart ziploc bag, you would be fine. IMHO, I would not try the freezing method.

Angela,

I would highly look into a Tart cherry supplement (tablets) instead of the juice. With the supplement, you can put in in your carry on bag in which you will for sure have it with you on the trip. You could also as a back up put some in your checked luggage and not worry about having problems like you could have with juice. I take a lot of supplements with me. Some of them I keep in the bottles to make sure they are labeled on what they are. We have gone to Negril for 4 years now and I've never been stopped and asked about my supplements. Any prescription meds, it is important that they stay in there original containers. There are different companies online in which you can order the Tart Cherry supplement. I noticed before answering your question that Amazon.com has the Tart Cherry supplement tablets. I have used Amazon alot and they are a great company to deal with . Your local health food stores might also carry this supplement in case you are worry about the delivery time with online orders. Again, look into taking a pill form not juice that way there shouldn't be any worries and your husband will have what he needs to have a wonderful trip. Good luck!

I don't see a problem with that. They don't check to see what it is as long as it fits in 3 oz and in the zip lock bag.
    Linda

put it in your checked bag

I would try it. Take the original label with you also. You should be OK if it is in the three ounce bottles.

liquid in a 3.4 oz container in a 1 quart plastic bag is fine. They proubly wont even notice its frozen.

Go for it. I think you will be fine. You might want to downoad a product info sheet or similar or bring the information from the original packaging. Then, on the off chance that it gets flagged, you can show TSA some information, explain that it is medical in nature. Actually, perhaps a written prescription from his doctor...then TSA would let you bring it (medications are exempt, I believe).

As long as it is in a 3oz container you are good. It cannot be a 4oz or larger container even if you only have 3 oz of product in the larger container. The container itself must only be 3 oz. I found this out the hard way with an almost empty tube of tooth paste. URGGGHHH.

Would it defrost by the time you arrived and made it to your resort though? You will not be able to take those blue ice freeze things with you.

Maybe you can take one of the blue ice freeze packs in a zip lock bag, a small collapsible cooler, freeze the bottles, place in one of those space saver travel bags then put inside your checked luggage. This way it will not leak, it stays cold longer and you are good to go.

I am guessing it would not work out for you if carry-on luggage but if you pack it carefully it should be fine in checked luggage.

If its 3 ounces per bottle you have no problem. Security does not check what's in containers. Happy traveling!!!!

As long as its split into 2 three ounce bottles and put in the zip lock you are fine. FYI--CTI had Jamaican Cherry juice.

If you can fit this in 3 ounce containers, you should be fine....

From my understanding they cannot restrict any liquid as long as it is in a 3 oz. container or less. They never actually check anything at that size so I can't imagine how it could be an issue.

Thanks everyone. I think we are going to just try to put two 3 ounce bottles in my carry on.

Thanks redsun for the advice on the tablets. I am going to look into them but I heard they are not as effective but I may still buy them for a back-up plan.

20 days...so excited!

I would go with the pills.

You have a few options, split it into (2) 3 ounce containers or freeze the 6ounce bottle completely and go through security, or leave in 6 oz container and say you need it for medical reasons (bring doctors notes to back you up in case). In all instances make sure it is outside of your bag. Any of these options will work and will not be a surprise to the officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Dohmen Farman View Post
    Hello All,
    Newbie here with another question. First, let me say I have read the TSA site info on this but I am still looking to hear some personal experiences on this one.

My Hubby takes an all natural holistic medication for his Gout. It is Tart Cherry Juice. Although he can do without it while we are at CSS I would prefer he not have to. I don't want to risk a Gout attack on our vacation and ruin our time. (Yes it would ruin the trip as his attacks can be disabling at times). Anyway, it has to be refrigerated so I am wondering if I can freeze it and pack it in my carry on and make it through TSA. I only need to bring about 6 ounces so I can split that in two 3 ounce bottles and keep that in the required zip loc.

What do you guys think? It will look like cough syrup, very dark in color and very thick.

Thanks in advace for your wise imput!

PS - 22 days until we are relaxing at CSS!!!!