Thread: Gifts for Staff

Hybrid View

Default Gifts for Staff

Does anyone have any recommendations for gifts for the staff and wedding coordinator that can be taken in your carry on? We are renewing our vows and I was wondering what we can take and what type of gifts they would like.

Any help would be appreciated. We leave in 6 days.

Thanks

Janet

Not sure about the wedding staff, but we leave a few chocolates for housekeeping every day and they love it.

Default for the staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tim&Janet82 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for gifts for the staff and wedding coordinator that can be taken in your carry on? We are renewing our vows and I was wondering what we can take and what type of gifts they would like.

Any help would be appreciated. We leave in 6 days.

Thanks

Janet
    Tooth paste and tooth brushes, crayons, pencils and any small things for the little ones . A lot of the ladies have children. Make up. That`s what we take.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

I gathered clothes from friends with small children and that was a big hit, truth is you just can't go wrong with any ideas, they are so appreicative!
    Eric & Rachael, New Braunfels TX
    CTI 2010
    CN/CTI 2011
    CTI 2012
    CTI 2013 (Gotta Love Early Booking Specials)

listen, I agree with all the crayons, pencils and such... however, do a little asking around while you are there.. Many of the men would love a great casio watch, digital.. they are 20 bucks here at walmart, however they are like 100-200$ in jamaica!! It is sort of like a status symbol if you have a nice watch! The women would love some nice yarn... yes! yarn!! any color... they knit and crochet a great deal. I have my kids saving their happy meal toys! The kids love it!! backpacks for the kids are hard to come by. Women also love to get a new pair of "flats" for shoes... again, you have to ask when you are there and remember for the next time you go. You have to leave a note with the date, room # and your name and that you are leaving that specific gift to them. The smiles and thanks you get will be fantastic!

I am from Texas and we take salsa and things like that for the bar stockers as well as lotions, shower gels, makeup, etc. for the housekeepers. I had a watch that our bartender admired and I gave it to her. I bought it at Kohl's and with a $10 Kohl's cash voucher, it was like $5.00. She loved it! Be creative!! They appreciate everything! I stock up as soon as we get home and have a supply for the next year. It all comes out of the suitcase and leaves room for me to bring things home from Jamaica!

While those are all great suggestions, keep in mind the practical requirements for the OP as they are traveling with carry on only luggage. No liquids over 3 oz, all liquids in a single quart size ziploc and space limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumming View Post
    listen, I agree with all the crayons, pencils and such... however, do a little asking around while you are there.. Many of the men would love a great casio watch, digital.. they are 20 bucks here at walmart, however they are like 100-200$ in jamaica!! It is sort of like a status symbol if you have a nice watch! The women would love some nice yarn... yes! yarn!! any color... they knit and crochet a great deal. I have my kids saving their happy meal toys! The kids love it!! backpacks for the kids are hard to come by. Women also love to get a new pair of "flats" for shoes... again, you have to ask when you are there and remember for the next time you go. You have to leave a note with the date, room # and your name and that you are leaving that specific gift to them. The smiles and thanks you get will be fantastic!
    Wow...some great ideas. We have done the candy (individual wrapped candy in bags like at Halloween for their kids) and school supplies but never really thought about gifts for the men like the watch or the yarn for the women.

We get bath and body stuff on sale here. They love that! Shoes for ladies need to be black flats, and yes they do ask for those so they would be a great gift. We take backpacks with the names on them of children of our special friends. School supplies, sunglasses, perfume. They are so appreciative! We just love our CN family! We have been going for 10 years and they remember us and have the biggest smiles and warmest hugs! Best family reunion you can ever go to! 46 days and counting the minutes!

I left Bath and Body Works lotions and gels, nail polish, and chocolates for the housekeeping staff. I ran into them a few times and they were so appreciative of the gifts. I'd carry around a few chocolates to leave with the waitress or bartender (had to give those to them quickly so they didn't melt). I also brought some school supplies for a local school (Couples sponsors one). I was fortunate enough to deliver them myself (with a hotel driver) and cannot tell you how much that experience moved me! If you don't want to go to the school, leave them with the concierge and they'll get them delivered. You can ask your wedding coordinator if they have kids and then plan to bring her a small gift as well as something for her kids. Whatever you decide, I'm sure they will like it.

The Jamaican people are very lovely and appreciative. They don't have their hands out expecting gifts/money like other places I've been to.

So as a first timer, would you recommend bringing gifts? When would you give it to them?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieTree View Post
    So as a first timer, would you recommend bringing gifts? When would you give it to them?
    It's certainly not necessary or expected. We actually picked up this custom off a different website before a trip to the Dom. Rep. in 2004. My wife brought a bunch of sample size bath & body stuff and perfumes that she never would have used and we left some on the table in the room with a Thank You note written in Spanish every day, and they were very grateful. On our first trip to Couples, we didn't really think about it, but on our last 2 trips we brought chocolate and they loved it. If you feel like it, go ahead. If not, you're not considered a cheapskate or a jerk or anything. It's just something fun some people like to do.

We're taking a bag of individual wrapped mini chocolate bars (These!), notebooks (seriously.. at walmart they're $0.17, we are bringing 50 - space limitations) pens and pencils. Only been there once, but from what I've heard candy and school supplies are appreciated... I'm sure most anything is....

I do a lot of runnning and will often take trainers and t shirts from races on holiday then give them to people. The trainers are used but still have wear left in them although not enough for me to run marathons and the t shirts have usually only been worn a few times. Is it worth me taking them to give to someone? I don't want to insult anyone by giving them my used trainers but in the gambia I had People asking me for them so knew they wanted them ( I took 5 pairs!).
    Who should I give them to?

Also I am just about to send a pair of flat navy blue shoes to the charity shop, not worn them that much, should I take those too?

Hi, we are going to CSA in December
    I run lots of marathons and only wear my trainers for about 2 months so they are not totally worn out but dont have enough cushioning for me to run in. Also have lots of t shirts from races which are not very worn. Should I take them and if so who should I give them to? Dont want to insult anyone by giving them my cast off trainers! In Gambia they were asking me for them!
    Also have some flat navy blue shoes ready for the charity shop which I havnt worn much, should I take those?

I took some of my running hats a couple of years ago. They really liked them, the only thing was that I had
    to sign a note that I had given them as a gift or they would not take them.