Thread: Cigars

Default Cigars

My wife are going to CSA for the first time in Feb. Were can I get some good Cigars at when we git there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Smith View Post
    My wife are going to CSA for the first time in Feb. Were can I get some good Cigars at when we git there?
    JA may be known from some incredible smokable foliage but cigars is not a biggie...
    You are better off buying them from you back home source and packing them. Been to JA enough to know there are no cigar bargains, if there were you would see much more written about it ... enjoy and remember smoke em if you got em

The only "deal" is being able to purchase cigars Americans usually cannot get. Price-wise, it is hit or miss.

I looked at the cigar vendor that sets up nightly (or most nights) at CN. They had a deal (5 cigars for $45) and cuban brands. Looked 'em up online while there and they seemed like a good deal. The only thing that troubled me was:

1. Unknown storage condition and age of cigars.
    2. Unknown authenticity of cigars

I read a little bit about possible counterfit Cuban cigars in Jamaica. Not sure how realistic that is, but I decided to save my money for souveneirs and get my cigars back home.

There is a decent looking cigar shop in the Times Square shopping center (towards the middle). I didn't go inside, as we were running short of time, but it seemed nice if not pricey.

If you were like us, we were looking to buy some cubans which you cannot get back in the states. We found them and bought 225 bucks worth. We took off the wraps, had a receipt that said they were "jamaican cigars" but we still lost 10 of them at customs. We declared them, like we were supposed to but the customs guy took them because they looked and smelled like Cuban cigars. Frankly, a cigar smells like crap-no matter what, but since they were big and fat, he took them. We did get back with 15 Cuban 2008 Special Edition cigars. They were thinner, and had a pointed end so the "Expert" at Customs claimed he could tell the difference between Cubans and Jamaican and let us keep the 2008 special edition.... even though they were cubans...

My advice, if you're going to buy them and spend money on them, ship them home even if it costs 45 bucks. We threw 100 bucks in the trash at the airport. At CTI there was a guy that came on Monday's and Thursdays, I think...so you will most likely have an opportunity to purchase some while on the resort. I think Couples is aware that some of us don't wish to smoke the illegal stuff, but want to smoke the contraband stuff Or whatever....you catch my drift....

getting the good cuban cigars, purchase at the resort pool side or friday night for the pirate dinner, i have purchased an assortment of cubans 5 for $50 which i didnt think was too terrible. the gift shop is a little more expensive

good luck wayne

Quote Originally Posted by sblovin View Post
    . . . . My advice, if you're going to buy them and spend money on them, ship them home even if it costs 45 bucks. We threw 100 bucks in the trash at the airport . . . .
    Packages shipped internationally still have to clear customs, so it's likely that they'd never actually make it to your doorstep.

FYI, it's illegal for Americans to buy goods grown, produced, or transported through Cuba under the Trading with the Enemy Act. You should be glad the "expert" in U.S. Customs simply confiscated some of your contraband; he could have placed you under arrest, and you could have been charged with a federal offense. It happens infrequently, but customs agents do have discretionary authority in this regard.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Honestly, bring your own as it is extremely likely that the Cuban Cigars you think you are buying are fakes. Also, authentic Cuban Cigars do not come in glass-top boxes and unless you see the official Habanos insignia at a store, they too are more than likely fakes or you are paying way too much money. I guess the one piece of advice I can give you is that there are plenty of web sites that detail how to spot a fake Cuban cigar.

Just my 2 cents
    Bob

Here's a link I post each time the subject of Cubans pops up...

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/co...eit/index.html

READ! Don't throw your $$$ away, you need them to come back next year.

The gift shop is most likely your best bet for Cuban's. They did have a cigar man come in to CTI, but they looked old and dried out.

For just smoking, take them from home.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by heffror View Post
    Honestly, bring your own as it is extremely likely that the Cuban Cigars you think you are buying are fakes. Also, authentic Cuban Cigars do not come in glass-top boxes and unless you see the official Habanos insignia at a store, they too are more than likely fakes or you are paying way too much money. I guess the one piece of advice I can give you is that there are plenty of web sites that detail how to spot a fake Cuban cigar.

Just my 2 cents
    Bob
    What Bob said is correct. The shop at Times Square (Negril) is legit however (very pricey). Bring your own.