Default Rookie SCUBA-diving question - bikini?

I've never been SCUBA diving but I'm planning on trying it while we're at CSA in less than 3 short weeks, and I was just wondering if you can dive in a bikini or should I bring a tankini or something? Sorry if this is a silly question but I honestly do not know! I also read some people wear wetsuits - I would love to hear some Couples veteran divers' feedback on that as well!

Thanks!

The water isn't that cold, and if you're just doing the free resort dive, you won't be diving very deep. I did my open water certification at CSA last year and was okay in a bikini the whole time (down to 60 ft or so). This year, I'm looking for a rash guard type of shirt to wear. I bruise really easily and found that carrying the heavy scuba equipment even just for a few minutes back and forth from the boat would leave tiny bruises on my shoulders. I also got a minor skin irritation from some of the sea life one day.

I would say you're fine in just a bikini unless you plan to do multiple dives. They do have wetsuits you can rent.

You can definitely wear a bikini. A lot of women do and it's no big deal. The water is super warm in Negril, especially this time of year. Have fun! The reefs in Negril are really healthy.

Men typically dive in shirts (T shirts or rash gaurds) - otherwise the vest can be uncomfortable on your back. Personally I dive in a dive skin over my bikini - I have seen some women dive in a rash guard over a bikini.

Amy

My wife dives in her bikini when in Jamacia. Mainly becouse the water is so hot. We are from CO USA and our used to much colder water. However, Collin (A Couples Dive master) dives in a full suit. But he is crazzzy and plays with sharks. He says it is becouse he gets cold. So it depends on what your body is accustomed to. The style of gear is a vest Buoyancy Compensator and this style tends to keep me warm enough.

I have seen some people dive in spring suits in Jamaica. However, if what your worried about is any rubbing then I would recomend a swim shirt (you can buy these at Target or Walmart) you wear these over your suit and are thin and will allow you to stay cool.

The Dive teams are great they have all the gear that you will need to have a great first experience, including wetsuits.

Have fun and don't play with the lions

Mark
    Mark & Sylvia

I always wear a bikini. Sometimes I wear a rash guard (swim shirt) over it, sometimes not. It is warm until you get back on the boat and drive in.

My girlfriend dove in a bikini and one of my V-necks just to protect a bit from the sun and straps of the tanks, etc. Unless you are constantly cold, you can get away with a bikini.

I wear either a dive skin or shortie wet suit because I get cold. Most people just wear a t-shirt which is required. You cannot (and should not) just wear your bathing suit as the straps on the BC will chafe. Enjoy the experience!

You will be more comfortable in a wetsuite. I don't dive in the ocean without one. You can wear whatever you want with a wetsuite. For the first part of the training in the pool you can get by without a wetsuit. I am not sure if they have wetsuites to rent/borrow at CSA - you probably want to ask. If not, you might want to see about renting one, if possible, from a local dive shop. A thin one (a few mils) is fine.

You might want to see if you can take lessons before you go at a local dive shop. You can do the classroom and pool exercises at a local dive shop and then do the openwater certification dives (this is the final step that gets you your PADI card) at Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyFTW View Post
    I've never been SCUBA diving but I'm planning on trying it while we're at CSA in less than 3 short weeks, and I was just wondering if you can dive in a bikini or should I bring a tankini or something? Sorry if this is a silly question but I honestly do not know! I also read some people wear wetsuits - I would love to hear some Couples veteran divers' feedback on that as well!

Thanks!

Not a diver, but son is certified and as he is under 18, I had to go with him. I would at least plan on wearing a tshirt over your bikini as the vest and tank may be uncomfortable on bear skin. Not sure about the wetsuits.
    Vicky

You can; but I wouldn't. Too much skin that could come in contact with something that stings, scrapes or nibbles. The equipment with all the belts, straps and tanks could rub you raw and if you have even the slightest of sun burns you are going to loose skin and that's going to hurt. Some women just put a T-shirt on over their bikini but I perfer to have a wetsuit. You can rent a wet suit from the dive shop but depending on your size it may not fit. But it's better than nothing. I have a shorty wetsuit that I bring with me. It's just a cheap one from Costoc but it does the trick. We pack our wet suits, fins and snorkles in a seperate sports bag. Believe me, you don't want a wet - wet suit in with your clothes on the way home. I always pack my mask in my luggage wrapped up so it wont get cracked or broken.
    The Dive Team at CSA is wonderful. Enjoy!
    Karon

Haven't. Dived in a couple of years s. The question is do you mind the BCD and etc. against your skin. If not wear Tshirt over bikini

While I'm not a woman, I would suggest for the SCUBA go with a one-piece suit. I don't know if Couples has dive skins, but the problem I can see with a bikini is the BCD and tank (BCD is the vest you wear, which holds the tank and is also used for buoyancy control) would press on the ties in the back and be uncomfortable. Plus the BCD might chafe a little, so you'd want something between you and the gear...

Although when I took the wife to go to her closed water sessions, a group of girls there were in bikinis, but they put t-shirts on over-top the bikinis.

Jason
    PS Sadly, the wife never completed the closed-water sessions, she got very anxious when under the water, even with the regulator. So, I'm a diver without a partner...

CTI again in:
    294 days
    17 hours
    10 minutes

Take a t shirt to wear over the bikini. You need something to stop the BC from rubbing you.

That's not a silly question at all! I wish more people would ask it actually.
    At Couples it is suggested that guests wear at least a t-short over their bathing suits (men & women). This is because the oils in our bodies break down the equipment faster. So, in order to keep the quality of the Couples' BCD's etc. we should all cover up. My DH and I bring our own wetsuits, but Couples has some to rent or just wear a t-shirt.
    And you'll be warmer on the boat ride back to the resort because when you take off your t-shirt and just have a bikini on underneath, you'll dry faster than those of us in wetsuits and you'll get the full effects of the sun on your skin.

We are avid divers and bring our own gear. We wear our full 3mm wetsuits for two reasons.
    #1 when you dive 2 x a day for 5-6 days in a row your body temperature drops so this keeps us warm
    #2 for protection from scrapes and any stingy things

I don't think #1 will be an issue for you doing just the resort course unless you fall in love with diving and switch it over to the full PADI certification course.

#2 can happen any time...even to swimmers off the beach. A rash guard or t-shirt should work fine if you don't want to rent a wetsuit.

Cindy: You're gonna love it!
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

Lots of good responses already, but I'll add my own 2 cents. I always wear a wet suit since I get cold easy. We do go in Jan when the water is colder, mind you, but even water in the low 80's can start to feel chilly. When you are under the water for awhile, totally immersed as you are for diving, the water pulls the heat from your body much more so than when you're just swimming. It's also colder at depth than at the surface for swimming and snorkelling. My hubby sometimes wears swim shorts and rashie, but he wil get chilly sometimes. People who dive twice a day for several days, or divemasters/instructors diving everyday, tend to get cold from all that time under water and usually wear a wetsuit. If you don't tend to get cold easy you can skip the wetsuit, especially for just one shallw dive, but it's unlikely you'll ever feel too warm, so my thoughts are that it is better to be comfortable and able to fully enjoy the experience rather than like you just want to get out of there. The chafing issues are also a good reason to wear at least a t-shirt, but a rashie is better material.

Wow, thank you so much for all the responses and advice! You guys are awesome!

I think I'm going to see if I can find a shorty wetsuit on clearance at one of the local surf shops by me (end of the season sale, maybe?) or buy a rash guard, or rent something from Couples (how convenient!). If all else fails, sounds like my husband's tshirt will work fine too! Lots of options, but I'm glad I asked before we leave!

Thanks again

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Irie at CN View Post
    That's not a silly question at all! I wish more people would ask it actually.
    At Couples it is suggested that guests wear at least a t-short over their bathing suits (men & women). This is because the oils in our bodies break down the equipment faster. So, in order to keep the quality of the Couples' BCD's etc. we should all cover up. My DH and I bring our own wetsuits, but Couples has some to rent or just wear a t-shirt.
    And you'll be warmer on the boat ride back to the resort because when you take off your t-shirt and just have a bikini on underneath, you'll dry faster than those of us in wetsuits and you'll get the full effects of the sun on your skin.
    Well said!

Cindy, you could also get a technical shirt (dri-fit) to wear over your suit and under the BC. That's what I do, I just use one of my sleeveless tanks that I workout/ run in. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, because more than likely it's going to get snagged or caught in the velcro at some point. A cotton tshirt holds a lot of water and doesn't dry fast. You may want something that fits fairly close as well, so wear one of yours not your hubbies! Good luck and have fun!!
    Lucy

I dive with a rash guard over my bikini... Just more comfortable under your vest and tank.

Welcome to diving! I agree with the above advice to take a class locally for the book work and pool work. That way you will know if you even like diving and will have all that done if you decide to get certified. Also you will be able to take your time if you get nervous and not feel the pressure of a "wasting" vacation time in the pool. I've seen many people spend lots of money to go diving in the ocean, only to hate it! We get lots of stuff of Ebay that way! lol! My advice after lots and lots of diving is to purchase a "skin" suit. It is like a wetsuit, but made out of swimsuit material. You can get one cheap off Ebay or at your scuba store. You will not get too warm. I personally get very cold diving and even in Jamaica dive with a 3mm, gloves and socks. I have been stung by jellyfish, fire coral, sharp rocks etc! As a new diver you will not have very good bouyancy control and will bounce around off the bottom and will run into things. I would not wear a bikini. Too much velcro on the bcd and hooks to get tangled in! You don't want to be self conscious while you are learning a new skill and the giant stride entry could make things go up to places they shouldn't!!!!

I've heard naked scuba diving is the best!