Thread: Hobie cats

Default Hobie cats

Ive got a question regarding the Hobie Cats at CSS...I know absolutely nothing about sailing but I think it would be great to sail on a hobie Cat. I have read that they give you a lesson on sailing one but my question is...Will a member of the staff take you out for a while and bring you back safely or is this an activity that you do alone as a couple??? Anybody have comments on their experiences??? Thanks

Go to Watersports and tell them that you want to go out on a Hobie Cat but don't know how to sail. They'll take you out for awhile and at the same time give you some lessons. It's really something to try if you never have. The Watersports guys are more than happy to give you that expierence and it's a blast! Who knows...after a few times you might feel capable of sailing by yourself and can then just go out as a couple.

Since we had no sailing experience they made us take a beginners course. It was very helpful and enjoyed the hobie cats several times during our stay.

Since we had no sailing experience they made us take a beginners course. It was very helpful and enjoyed the hobie cats several times during our stay.

Hobie cats are excellent boats to learn with Take it from my hubby, who used to teach sailing on one!

Have fun!

We took a Hobie out at CTI once. I had sailed one many years before and remembered much of it - similar to riding a bike. What I didn't account for was sailing out to the point that the Island blocks the wind. Watersports crew had a chuckle as they watched us drift until the wind picked up again, especially since I turned down the lesson they offered.

Anyway, take advantage of the lesson, even if you can figure out how to do it yourself.

We never quite mastered the entire technique but had a fun time together on the Hobie! Planning to spend more time doing this on our trip in late September.

They have lessons for everything they offer in watersports and the staff are great. Don't hesitate to ask for help or try something new!

Cats are a loads of fun but not the best boats, IMHO, for learning if you have never, ever sailed before. I say this because they have some "interesting" sailing characteristics that you will not find on monohull boats. Make sure you get a couple of lessons from the water sports guys before you go out by yourself. You might want to Google "sailing theory" before you go so you at least understand the basics of how sail boats work (i.e. which directions relative to the wind, you can actually sail in).

Quote Originally Posted by newguy2013 View Post
    Ive got a question regarding the Hobie Cats at CSS...I know absolutely nothing about sailing but I think it would be great to sail on a hobie Cat. I have read that they give you a lesson on sailing one but my question is...Will a member of the staff take you out for a while and bring you back safely or is this an activity that you do alone as a couple??? Anybody have comments on their experiences??? Thanks

FYI, sailing the hobie cat out of/into CSS is a little more tricky than CTI. You have to go out from the launch point then head east, along the swim area, before turning back out between 2 reefs (which are clearly marked). Of course it's just the opposite on the return.

The nice part is that if you put the cat on the reef Watersports will send out a boat to help you. For sure the hobie cat sailing is something to do...but taking the lessons will really help minimize your becoming a celebrity (the talk around the bar of the guy that ran the hobie cat aground).

My husband is a sailor so we took out the Hobie Cat alone but I saw other couples getting lessons.